Shipping automobile

Hi group!
Happy belated New Year!!
I'm considering shipping a car from the U.S .
I can get fixed cost from the courier however, I was curious with regards to taxes or other fees-has anyone experienced this? What are they based on-is there a fee schedule?
I'm trying to determine if buying there vs. shipping.
To stay within the requirement of the five year limit, I'll be shipping a 2021 model.
Regards,
Rob

Welcome - you will soon get lots of answers. As I appear to be the first here, I will say that the vehicle must not be over 5 years old. Second, exact costs I do not know but they are generally high. Buying here is generally recommended. Prices for vehicles are about 33% higher than North America. There are many great used vehicles and there is an Expat that specializes in helping Expats find good, safe used cars within their price range. I've heard only great things stated about this service. You will soon get much more info. Good Luck. Cheers

Thank you. When I look at cost of vehicles online, and even non-dealer options e.g. Craig's List, the prices seem to be higher? Granted cost the government charges could be expensive but from what I've seen, actual vehicle cost seem more in the DR?
Perhaps a contact, as you mentioned, may provide access to more reputable dealers who may not overcharge?

Cruffman - here on this site.... contact him

Must have owned a car 1 yr before the import.... can be as high as 50% on the prescribed value
The gov't prescribes that value... assigns it

No older than 5 yrs.... owned for a year.... debt free

Without residencia it's definitely cost prohibitive.  With residencia some if the costs and fees are lower.  Even then I would not import many vehicles.  You need to look at repairs, availability of parts and mechanics with knowledge. 

I also recommend Cruffman for assistance.

Convinced!
Cruffman, where aren't thou?

Hahahahaha.  I will message him for you!

We recently imported our 2019 4Runner. If you message me I can provide some specifics. We did get residency before importing. It is almost necessary; otherwise, Aduanas will give you a hard time in more ways than one.
And I strongly advise having the best import agent you can find. The one we used is simply the best.... better than all the rest (sorry, couldn't help it)  :0)

Rocky:
Thanks!
Would you mind sharing your cost...since they were better than the rest of the best;)
I can send you private contact if you prefer not to share in the group.

Let me look up the numbers and I will message you later today or by the morning.

hi, Scorpiana...this is a subject which pops up every so  often, and there is no umbrella answer. in certain cases you will benefit financially by bringing in a car from the USA....however, i have demonstrated quite a few times that the arithmetic is not always in favor of the guy who ships.  i gave an example some time back that if you buy a 2016 Kia Sorento and ship it, you would gain no advantage over the guy who buys locally.  when you decide to buy and ship, make sure you have fresh batteries in the calculator.

Thank you. I understand you have experience in locating autos at decent prices? I've looked on the internet, at both dealerships and individuals and the prices seem very inflated...

it's the government tax that gets you...

Their tax based on their value of the vehicle..... not your cost

Importing w/ residency softens the blow significantly
I did it.... 2009 January