The Beginnings of Proper Traffic Policing

He is a FARD sergeant, a driver who "assaulted" a DIGESETT agent

https://noticiassin.com/es-un-sargento- … -digesett/

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic.- The General Directorate of Traffic Safety and Land Transport (DIGESETT) reported that the driver who allegedly physically attacked one of the agents was identified when he tried to stop him to control him for violation of the Traffic Law.

The driver was identified as Sergeant Elías Solano Pérez, of the Dominican Republic Air Force.

"We proceeded to make a report to his superiors so that they determine the corresponding sanctions in accordance with the Law of the institution to which he belongs," the institution published on its Twitter account.

This is not the first example of people being identified and face the consequences for abusing DIGISETT agents who patrol the roads in DR. See video on link attached. DIGISETT agents appear to be hard to persuade to overlook traffic infractions so don't try bribing them now.

Times are changing with this new government and gradual pay rises for police start in January with the President having committed to raising the basic salary for a policeman to $500.

We read about the case of the sargeant in Monte Cristi who arrested friends of a senator who usurped him for their. The senator was repromanded his friends arrested and the saregeant promoted by the President.

Things are changing!  I saw this video and thought what the hell!!!

I hope this general faces discipline and retirement would be better. Watch the video which has been widely publicised on social media. Time to get rid of this disgusting attitude of the supposedly powerful.

General catigates two Digesett agents because they did not "pay attention" to him

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … EM23492767

The man, identified as José Manuel Frías Rodríguez, was badly parked

A man who identified himself as Brigadier General José Manuel Frías Rodríguez badly rebuked two agents of the General Directorate of Traffic Safety and Land Transportation (Digesett) because they did not pay him honors, while they were carrying out their job of inspecting the vehicle.

The event was recorded in a video, which shows the officer, who says his name is José Manuel Frías Rodríguez, claiming that the agent put himself in a position of "attention", because the rank that he holds warrants it.

"Pay attention Amet, pay attention Amet, but what is this?", Says the officer in a complaint attitude while the Digesett agent walks away and another arrives looking to solve the situation.

“Because when I tell him that I am a general, he has to pay attention and say: 'respectfully sir', identify yourself, hey, when I identify myself, he has to greet me like a general and then say 'Commander, you cannot be standing there, '”he added.

I'm going to be watching the daily papers.  There have been a couple of other generals who have done this and were required to apologize to the AMET officers and accept the ticket for their indescretion.
I expect this one will receive the same treatment.

And in the video no mask!   NIce  "leader"!   Respect is earned and he clearly does not understand that. 

Amet / Diggisett officers need a pat on the back for  doing their jobs.

And the deputy for the PRM in Cotui could get sacked for aggression against police.

They are losing their fear of the connected and rich.

Ministerio de Defensa y PN recuerdan a agentes que todos están obligados a cumplir la ley

https://noticiassin.com/ministerio-de-d … ir-la-ley/

Luis was emphatic today that the laws here must be observed.

The military and police leadership is now enforcing that demand on their subordinates.

He is improving the salary and conditions of police already and supporting their actions in his actions.

Influencial people who try to insult and intimidate police are being held to account.

The public are taking videos of those that insult and intimidate police including DIGISETT.

This is a sea change in DR politics and long overdue.

Any expat now needs to think twice before offering any 'propenas' to police or indeed anybody in authority.

Corruption is a disease. Elevate the law enforcers and pay a decent wage and support their actions should lead to a better society.

The start after 3 months is impressive.

I worked with Luis's company for several months a couple of years back and held meetings with him and his wife in both Cabarete and Santo Domingo. He always struck me as a principled man, fresh and seeking new input. Challenging in his questions. His wife was equally engaged in everything. I am so glad he is working hard to correct the failures in DR governance to date. Without adherance to laws the country has failed to achieve it's potential  but for a few.

Discipline, yes...but forced retirement?  Really? 

I watched the video, and the general was clearly out of line.  But also not crossing the threshold of forcing an immediate retirement.  Instead, this incident's publicity offers the DR an opportunity that should not be allowed to go to waste.

Why?  The public castigation he is going to get will be deep,  but also will cease once he is retired.  That's letting him off the hook too easy, and not driving the point home to the entire military. 

Rather, make him RIDE THE WAVE of the publicity and make him the poster boy for proper behavior when stopped or cited by police. 
>>Better to let him continue serving, but with some clear punishment directly driven by the incident.  A loss of command, a public apology to the officers in front of his own troops, a letter of apology published in the newspapers.  Perhaps a partial loss of salary for six months. 
>> THEN, make him responsible for creating training for the DR Military for the proper responses when cited for traffic violations.  He can produce, and star in the accompanying videos.
>> Then, require the general to make a series of TV and radio appearances, wherein he explains the new training to the public, and offer it as an example of how ALL Dominicans should treat their police officers.  He could explain, how his own actions violated the expected standards of behavior, and a reassertion that he himself would be following that training in the future, if ever necessary. 
>> Such training could serve as a generic model for ALL DR government agencies and personnel.

Just another, hopefully better, way to skin the cat.  And still VERY much fitting the situation.

Jim

lennoxnev wrote:

I hope this general faces discipline and retirement would be better. Watch the video which has been widely publicised on social media. Time to get rid of this disgusting attitude of the supposedly powerful.

General catigates two Digesett agents because they did not "pay attention" to him

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … EM23492767

The man, identified as José Manuel Frías Rodríguez, was badly parked

A man who identified himself as Brigadier General José Manuel Frías Rodríguez badly rebuked two agents of the General Directorate of Traffic Safety and Land Transportation (Digesett) because they did not pay him honors, while they were carrying out their job of inspecting the vehicle.

The event was recorded in a video, which shows the officer, who says his name is José Manuel Frías Rodríguez, claiming that the agent put himself in a position of "attention", because the rank that he holds warrants it.

"Pay attention Amet, pay attention Amet, but what is this?", Says the officer in a complaint attitude while the Digesett agent walks away and another arrives looking to solve the situation.

“Because when I tell him that I am a general, he has to pay attention and say: 'respectfully sir', identify yourself, hey, when I identify myself, he has to greet me like a general and then say 'Commander, you cannot be standing there, '”he added.

Interesting ideas!  Again this will be interesting to watch roll out! 

Clearly this president is not tolerating the status quo!  He promised change and so far his actions match his words

planner wrote:

Interesting ideas!  Again this will be interesting to watch roll out! 

Clearly this president is not tolerating the status quo!  He promised change and so far his actions match his words

Don't forget he gave all of the police Senasa premium insurance coverage. That's a biggie!

Yes it is,  any insurance is a big deal here!