Protected areas from Hurricanes

Hi all hope you all doing well

Just to be sure according to my research I found that Las Terrenas  Samana in the north coast i believe, is more protected from the hurricane but someone else saying the east side is the best  need more accurate info pls

Hi freeperson,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Dominican Republic forum.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team

Hurricane wind patterns are circular......

Look at the damage in Las Terrenas after the storm several years -
Fisherman's Village and other shoreside restaurants wiped out.

Thanks Priscilla.

No place is completely exempt from these storms here in the Caribbean.

Las Terrenas is much less likely to get them, as  is the north coast.

Historically the north coast is more protected due to geography and prevailing wind patterns. 

Things have been a little different the last few years but a shift back to normal patterns is expected.

Normally storms hit the east and south coasts.

The north coast usually does escape the worst of the storms

But when I say circular winds.... I learned from the last 2 hurricanes

The bushes and trees are adapted to the prevailing easterly winds
As the storm center passes, the wind reverses..... blows from the west
Think circular again
Trees and bushes are uprooted..... even my Uva tree.....
All were listing to the wrong/weak side

Was an eye opener for me .....

thks but
when you say north cost can i have the names of the cities?

Starting at the western end- anywhere near Pto Plata
Then Sosua & Cabrete... bit more east....

Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan, Cabrera and Nagua.

Your favorite - Samana peninsula  - has
Las Terrenas, Sanchez, Samana, Las galeras

https://www.drproperties.ca/?attachment_id=8946

If you do not need live in coast I recommend you central part of Dominican Republic part of the Isle because is inside of rock mountain eye
So is even safe in any biblical tsunami in future even 30meters or 50 and higher
Chose Constanza or something
I'm survival fan politic economic analyst
My personal opinion is based on my own knowledge if I will stay there will central part
Crowned by mountains

Thank you for the information , I am a former Natural and man made disaster manager spent 15 years of my life representing the Federal Government helping people recover quicker from disasters , it is sad to see first hand the effects of family lives, this in turn has made me a more humble person and   has widened my own perspective of how much we can all achieve to reach a level of community or region to sustain itself and help to provide local government a sense of continuity . We are all the children of this great universe , we all have the potential to strive and be happy.Many thanks again

Krumite you are welcome I plan travel to RD in 2021 just wait for flying connection back from Poland

Krumite, you dont have to worry about "providing local government a sense of continuity, because its the  single most important concern of all governments, and they  only fail at it if voted out of office, revolution, capitualtion to an enemy conqueror.

I love it !!! , personally I just want to be part of and if allow contribute to the bettering of it.  I am really excited about moving down there ,  I have to admit  cold weather has never been my cup of tea

thank you I have bunch of info about this , I know next years will be a little crazy in the tropics according weather forecasters . Hopefully I will be able to pin point the areas that are  more secure once I am down there. Here we have tornadoes when we transition from March to April and that is yearly , then hail or wind of 80 mph, good state to live in the weather could get just a bit crazy

Krumite...thats great and every person in government will surely appreciate your wanting to add to their continuity of their rule.

I investigated this before moving to Cabarete in 2003.  There has never been a hurricane that hit the Cabarete/Sosua area.  And there still has not been one that has hit the area with hurricane force winds.

Thank you : I am non -political , retired with good benefits , but to me no one ever retires just simply try to give back to the world that has given you something and allowed you to prosper , life is a lot of fun with a lot of challenges, but still is a beautiful world. Right now I wish im could be down there , but I am here finishing all my due diligence here to be there and be  part of the community .

So true. Same here.
I worked in a few different long-hour, good-paying free zone management jobs most of my adult life.
I decided to walk away from the pressure when I hit 50. 
I never expected to work again but was offered short term employment on my own terms and am now approaching 20 years doing something I thought would only last a few months.

Wow, no one ever retires we just change hats and do other things , My disaster manager experience was a good one and it really gives you a better idea of how much is there to do, at times is mind boggling. In these so called modern times when thing  across the world comes at you instantly: the good , the bad and the ugly as in have called it , one needs to have a good mind for diserning all the info. Overall is a beautiful world!!  I am happy for you as I intent to do the same, carrying around diplomas does not do no one any good if we do not put that accumulated knowledge into practice

To all of you member think of this please? what was the reason you relocated to Dominican Republic ? think of the many blessings that you have and have no regrets, be thankful every day for what you have and more doors will open this will unlock the future for all of you . Many positive thoughts for all of you and many blessing are coming your way !!! the word is believe !!

Thank you and allow me to say , I have been thru too many in the field of disaster management, I always worked my way to work my way out of a job , as much as I love helping others is really heart wrenching to see so much devastation , I do not wish that to any nation or country , Dominican in blessed. My wishes for the world are that we can all proper as a good human race and heal all of our differences and concentrate on being more . thank you for reading. Krumite

You are very welcome here.  We will watch your progress and help as we can!  Anytime you need info go searching the threads and always feel free to open a new thread as needed!

Thank you planner is always a plus to share information, I have been always very positive in my life, i will be there to assist help anyone that needs to be helped , life yes it does have its challenges . I can tell you for myself I started looking at other places like Nicaragua, beautiful place San Juan del Sur , then narrowed down to Dominican Republic   as it is easier to travel and less connecting flights which I have to admit is not my cup of tea, cost of living is about the same and many other things . Is all going to be a plus is all about mind set . blessing to all of you for allowing me to communicate thru the net.

I came here because I wanted to retire and did so at 48. At that point 17 years ago I stopped working and lived in the DR.

I always caution people they should only come here if they can work on line or a ready to retire.  Few can work here and make a good living.

The north coast of the DR was far easier to reach from the USA than it is now.  Puerto Plata airport has very few , much more expensive and far less convenient flights than it used to even before CV19.

Did you see the news about Eastern opening flights to the DR again with a 70% reduction in price?

Eastern is my least favorite US airline, but if I need a flight, you never know.

the flights they're reopening are to POP

Thank you Windeguy for the advice. We are moving there to do both retire and work on line, businesses anywhere are not that hard to establish specially when you have the main resources which are people looking for a better quality of life and the individual can enhance their lives , treat them with respect and make a reasonable profit that everyone benefits from the persons that are part of any given enterprise to the community and local government thru taxation. My wife and i are looking at an area near los Cerros is on the south side of Hwy 5 in Sosua , south of this is an area called Terramar States . Here in Texas I am at the last steps of the house closing , pick my wife up and move by traveling light with our clothes and a laptop. Personally I think 2021 with all this Covid-19 the entire planet and governments are making a herculean effort to stabilize it. if I may suggest log into the I.M.F. site this will give you a better perspective of what is going on. There will be more cooperation in 2021 among nations . blessings

thank you for the info, this is the airport that we will land hopefully during the holidays, from the is justa little coordination with other airliner from Europe . blessing . Krumite

Eastern still around? I thought they went belly up years ago ?

Krumite wrote:

Thank you Windeguy for the advice. We are moving there to do both retire and work on line, businesses anywhere are not that hard to establish specially when you have the main resources which are people looking for a better quality of life and the individual can enhance their lives , treat them with respect and make a reasonable profit that everyone benefits from the persons that are part of any given enterprise to the community and local government thru taxation. My wife and i are looking at an area near los Cerros is on the south side of Hwy 5 in Sosua , south of this is an area called Terramar States . Here in Texas I am at the last steps of the house closing , pick my wife up and move by traveling light with our clothes and a laptop. Personally I think 2021 with all this Covid-19 the entire planet and governments are making a herculean effort to stabilize it. if I may suggest log into the I.M.F. site this will give you a better perspective of what is going on. There will be more cooperation in 2021 among nations . blessings

Indeed: Be aware of how the utilities (electricity and water as well I think)  are controlled in that particular location.  Some are fine with it and some are not.

I have only been here 17 years full time, so I don't yet know every thing there is to know, but I know a little.  I moved a full container when I came here.  Finally need to replace my main washing machine which was brought along back then(now 27 years old)...

Krumite, regarding your quote, "businesses anywhere are not that hard to establish specially when you have the main resources which are people looking for a better quality of life and the individual can enhance their lives , treat them with respect and make a reasonable profit that everyone benefits from the persons that are part of any given enterprise to the community and local government thru taxation"........could you be specific please? Like, what does that mean?

Krumite wrote:

Eastern still around? I thought they went belly up years ago ?

That's correct. And I have a married couple (Pilot/stewardess) as friends who will fill your ears if you mention that name. Both 25+ yr employees who lost everything.

This is the new and improved Eastern.

Thank you again for the update and info. the ones meaning properties I have looked at, they have water wells, some with septic also power energy alternative sources, there is a bunch of new technologies coming out based on hydrogen and many other things outside of the traditional solar panels. I am looking forward of being down there. I was speaking with my realtor lady an excellent human being over then telephone about a few subjects and the main thing is adaptability which I am ok with it .In my life I have been very lucky meeting and working alongside all clases of people  which it turn has allowed me to connect with almost anyone. Dominicans are good people and there is a lot to do in a positive way not only there everywhere in the world. We will all get there is a matter of getting along . Thank you for the information. Before I forget you mentioned your washer, see if you can get what is know here in America surge protectors for electrical components , I have them here on the high ticket items to protect the equipment . Blessing to you and yours , Krumite

I do indeed agree , there was time that used to be called the mule , and possibly you know why ? Look beyond that in the world market from currency fluctuations, stock, stock options , big guys hurting good companies the works . I know a lot about it because like everyone else we all have a nest egg and portfolio , my friend there is a lot of hype out there . To me is all about we "WE" concept not the "me" concept, but that is my humble opinion . blessing again , Krumite

Krumite, thanks for your blessing, but will you answer my question from my last message? If you make some point its reasonable that we ask what you mean by it, right?

Colonel : I will like to reply to you with more specific's but I believe that we are not allowed on this site . With that said we all go thru life looking but not observing and most of us are guilty of this , with that thinking allowed me to give you an analogy : avocados here we get them from the country  of Mexico they are maybe the size of a large lemon and expensive  , the one's  I have seen ate and tasted them in Dominican Republic and in Puerto Rico are almost the size of a football. is all about looking at the big picture , looking at the resources , the country laws and being a little more. Blessings . Krumite

Surge protectors are needed on most all  electrical appliances here, wither  built in or added! They are available here.

Colonel : once we meet and I get there I will be more specific , I am really excited about moving there . Look ahead , the real big blue sky is the limit , and you are already blessed by living  under it over there. see all of you soon !!! Krumite

Thank you Planner this good news as I intent to get a few for protecting my electrical components . I learned years ago the hard way, came back in one of my trips , had no washer, no fridge and no tv  had to replace them all

Krumite, didn't think you would tell us what you actually meant. As to us meeting....whoops, I better self censor.