Moving to Nijmegen, advise for house searching

Hi folks,

Hope you're doing great and in good health

I will be moving to Nijmegen in Jan 2021. I have been offered a job in Nijmegen. Currently I'm looking for some tips/suggestions for house searching. As I will be moving and staying alone in Nijmegen, I'm looking for something like studio and/or 1 room apartment. I searched through funda and kamernet, but the house listings are too less? Or maybe not many ads are being posted? Could you please advise what is the reasonable renting costs for studio or 1 room apartments in Nijmegen area? Typically looking for furnished apartment with utilities inclusive. Location preferences would be near Groenestraat, Neerbosch, and other nearby streets. Or perhaps 3-4km biking distance from Goffert station

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

What many people do is look for an AirBnB for the first month; then when they get there, look around the local area; new colleagues may well have information on what's available locally.

Hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi Cynic

Thanks for the response. Indeed I'll look for temporary accommodation while searching for actual accommodation. I was looking for information regarding rough estimates for rent pricing in Nijmegen for furnished Studio or 1 room apartment.

Thanks

Hi again.

A potential source with regards to the cost of living in the Netherlands, the Numbeo website offers information on many countries/Towns; this link will take you to the information they have on Nijmegen.  The data is a few months behind the curve, but it gives you an idea.

With regards to renting in Nijmegen in particular, Pararius is one of many rental organisations in the Netherlands; this link will take you straight to their website; this link will take you to a more general search I just created in Google.

A word of caution; beware of scammers.  Decent rental accommodation is always in great demand in the Netherlands, because of that some people get desperate and do things without thinking.  Do not rent anything sight unseen and when you go to view places, have a good look around, check that there's not somebody else already living there; we've heard unbelievable stories of what conmen do to cheat you out of your money.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Nijmegen just hasn't that many places for rent. It is a student city so there is a lot of competition for decent rental homes.
I would advise to expand your search a little wider places like Wijchen, Malden or Groesbeek are very close to Nijmegen.

AirBNB is very restricted in the Netherlands and you can only stay for a few days in one place.

Goodluck with your search.

Thanks Cynic and Ramses for your inputs and suggestions