Singaporean living in Oman, soon will go to Bahrain for new job

Hi All,

Great to know you all.
I just joined this expat community.
I'm a Singapore citizen, have been living in Middle East (Oman) for the past 4 years.
Recently, I got the new job offer from a company in Bahrain and will move there in ~3 months (about Feb 2011).
I plan to move there with my wife and our only son, soon will be 5 years old.

Questions or requests:
1. Beside excited to get in touch locals and expats living in Bahrain, please let me know if there are Singaporean or Indonesian or Malaysian community in Bahrain in this group. I would like to connect with you all.
- Just give me pm, happy to talk with you. :)

2. I'm looking for school for my son, probably for mid year (September 2021) enrollment, year 1 (5-6 years).
- We are interested to find out more about British School of Bahrain (BSB) and St Christopher's School. Are they good and recommended?
- Or any other school with British Cambridge Curriculum highly recommended here?

3. If we choose BSB, where is the best nearest accommodation area / wilayat should choose that nearby the school? Our preference just to travel between 10-15 mins daily from home to school.
- Is Saar recommended? Do they have nearby daily amenities like shopping mall, supermarkets etc.?
- Same question for St Christopher's.

4. I don't drive and don't have driving license.
- May I know if there is school or private bus service available for school kids 'door to door'?
- How much is the monthly rate for school bus?
- Compared with Oman's taxi which is relatively cheaper although it's more expensive than Dubai, how expensive taxi service here?
I assume they have the taxi apps like Careem, Otaxi, Mwasalat, etc. right?

Thank you for reading my post. Appreciate if you can help me clearing my doubts.

Cheers,

udit107_expat

2) There are only three (or maybe four) schools that are consistently marked as outstanding by the Ministry of Education.  BSB and St Chris are two of them.   And I believe the only ones in that list with British Curriculum
3) The closest to BSB is Hamala.  For St Chris, it's Saar.  Both areas have all of the amenities
4) There are school buses available and you would have to ask the school for the rate.  Bahrain official taxis are expensive compared to Oman.  And yes there is Careem and Uber here

thanks XTang, I saw you as the active contributor. appreciate your reply.

For Q#4.
For Careem or Uber, is the tariff (fee) is as expensive as official taxi or cheaper? thanks.

Cheaper than official taxi of course.

Thanks. The reason I ask it's not necessarily the apps based taxis are cheaper. Singapore is one of them, where the rate is equally almost the same, and sometimes they are more expensive.

Have a good day :)

Yes it depends on regulation. In dubai, Careem and uber will cost you the same as an official taxi mainly because their service is restricted to higher end cars and above.

Bahrain is cheaper as there is no such restriction plus a lot of official taxis also run Careem and uber in off time. It is cheaper by far over longer distances but availability is not that great in some parts eg riffa where you have to schedule a pick up in advance.