Any MM2H Since COVID-19?

Hello,
Has anyone been approved for MM2H in the last month or so?

Mark

I applied in early February and received notification that my application had been accepted. Not sure whether that meant approved or not, but I paid the agent, received my acceptance certificate and have not heard a peep since.

We got stuck in the MCO while were there and only managed to return to the UK after running the gauntlet with a 14 hour flight with Air Malaysia into Heathrow (I live in Birmingham). My wife and I have now completed a 14 day self imposed quarantine just to be on the safe side and are both feeling fit and well. I await two things in life right now, an approval letter and the lifting of the Restrictions into Malaysia so I can return and set my long term plans into motion again.

We are also waiting for approval.  We were told we would have a wait of about a year when we filed last August, 2019.  While we have no personal knowledge of where the process is at and are still waiting for approval, another person wrote to us with some information.  He said that his agency told him that people who filed in July of last year had received their approval in late January or early February of this year before the agency shut down. He recently emailed the agency to find out the current status of the processing of applications and was told that they began processing applications again the early part of May.   He also said that the agency was attempting to catch up on the backlog of applications and believes the time frame for approval before shutdown was down to 6.5 months.  So I would guess you probably have a few months' wait yet.  Also, I am doubtful that they will announce any approvals until the border is open, as people cannot get into Malaysia to finalize their conditional approvals within the 90-day timeframe allowed to do so.  This is second hand information, but we found it helpful and thought we would pass it along.

dwhitedurango wrote:

We are also waiting for approval.  We were told we would have a wait of about a year when we filed last August, 2019.  While we have no personal knowledge of where the process is at and are still waiting for approval, another person wrote to us with some information.  He said that his agency told him that people who filed in July of last year had received their approval in late January or early February of this year before the agency shut down. He recently emailed the agency to find out the current status of the processing of applications and was told that they began processing applications again the early part of May.   He also said that the agency was attempting to catch up on the backlog of applications and believes the time frame for approval before shutdown was down to 6.5 months.  So I would guess you probably have a few months' wait yet.  Also, I am doubtful that they will announce any approvals until the border is open, as people cannot get into Malaysia to finalize their conditional approvals within the 90-day timeframe allowed to do so.  This is second hand information, but we found it helpful and thought we would pass it along.

Hi there.  Under the current situation, of course, it may not be up to date but you can visit the gov't site and enter your application number to see application status.  Had I checked religiously near the end, I would found out my acceptance way sooner than hearing it from my agent.

Also, my understanding on the period one is allowed to finish up the process is actually 6 months not 90 days after approval.

Good day, my name is Taco and I work and live in Malaysia. What I understand from the MM2H authorities, they only started working again about 3 weeks ago. So they probably have quite some catching up to do.

From one of my clients that just applied for MM2H, he received a confirmation from their agent the application is approved and going for the process. They said it would take about 8-10 months to be ready.

I would regularly check in with your agent, and also visit the Govt site, as they will show more update coming up. On 9 June of CMCO (Conditional movement control order) is up for either renewal or will be lifted. So this will be an important moment for all MM2H applicants, as this will also allow international travel to pick up again.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Im not an applicant but I think the last thing id want to be in this world IS one right now.

Covid brings into focus MM2H limitations. When there is a problem, holders are treated like tourists and not residents, meaning that even being approved now doesnt mean you can simply come--or stay. Covid is going to go on a long time. Most of the new cases are coming from imports which include returning malaysians and therefore other imports are much better off staying out so that covid can end sooner. But this leaves the govt in a quandary because they approve MM2H but without any special treatment or consideration which means holders will be the last to be let in despite what money has changed hands or what hard, scheduled plans have been made. What a mess, but it shows that to trying to be in another country has to have long term thinking and plenty of Plan Bs.

VWC:  Thank you for your response to my post.  My apologies to you and anyone else who might have been misled when I said the time to get final approval after conditional appproval was 90 days.  VWC is correct--it is six months.  It had been quite a long time since I read the "rules" and had simply forgotten that it was six months--in my mind, I only had 90 days, so that is actually very good news to me.  I apologize for not checking that figure before I posted it.

With regard to checking the status of an MM2H application, I am aware of the website (http://mm2honline.motac.gov.my/?q=check … ion-status) that allows you to check the status of your application on line, and we check it daily.

Hopefully all of us waiting for MM2H approvals will be getting some good news in the near future!

dwhitedurango wrote:

"While we have no personal knowledge of where the process is at and are still waiting for approval, another person wrote to us with some information."

Hi dwhitedurnago, that would be me. :-) 

Just to clarify a few minor things in your post...yes, not all, but some people who filed in July of last year were approved (in late January or early February).  My agent told me this in March not recently.  I did send my agent an email over a week ago for an update but have not heard back from her yet.  I found out that the process re-started in early May (following the lifting of the MCO or move to the CMCO).  I was told that by MOTAC, the area responsible for MM2H applications.  MOTAC opened up May 4 or perhaps May 6.  As it were, I emailed them on May 12 and they confirmed that the process had begun again.  They, not my agent, also told me that they had a large backlog due to the 3-month suspension.  They wouldn't commit to a time frame (maybe they don't even know) but I noted that prior to the shutdown they had reduced the wait time (i.e. from the day your application is accepted to the day you receive the letter of conditional approval) to 6.5 months (early July 2019 to end of January) following the enormous problems they had in 2018. 

In my email to my agent last week I asked her about the approval process given that the borders are closed to tourists but as mentioned I'm still waiting for a reply.

Thanks much for the clarification.  I would be interested in hearing anything you hear back from the agency.  Our visa here in Spain will expire mid to late September, but we are hoping to come back to Malaysia on August 1 if the border opens.  If we do not have our visa approval within three months of that date, we will have to leave Malayasia again!  The best laid plans......

dwhitedurango wrote:

Thanks much for the clarification.  I would be interested in hearing anything you hear back from the agency.  Our visa here in Spain will expire mid to late September, but we are hoping to come back to Malaysia on August 1 if the border opens.  If we do not have our visa approval within three months of that date, we will have to leave Malayasia again!  The best laid plans......

Sure, no worries.  I'm a bit anxious myself about the situation.  My agent is quite good overall but her weak point is not returning emails in a timely manner which can be a tad frustrating. 

I considered what would happen if I were in Malaysia and for whatever reason hadn't taken care of everything I needed to in order to get the mm2h visa within the 3 month (social visa pass) time frame immigration stamps in your passport.  I decided I'll just fly to Medan, Indonesia - one hour flight from KL - for a few days and return.  Never been to Indonesia, I might like it.  Thailand is another option.

Interesting, but I thought that once you had stayed three months on the social pass given on entry, you couldn't return for three months?  As a former UK Immigration Officer, that is the process we used to use except it was six months instead of three.  If we saw someone spending longer than six months in the UK in a rolling twelve month period, it was grounds to refuse entry and remove.  However, in practical terms it was very rare it would happen and only then in exceptional circumstances, for example we found evidence of employment, ie payslips or bank statements showing "salary" deposits.

I'm in the situation where my application was accepted on 4th February and after extending my period of time in Malaysia to four months, reluctantly returned home to wait for the visa to be approved.  I expect we're looking at November at the earliest?

Thanks for all the conversation surrounding my question. My original intent was to see who has been approved and see that application number was approved. My application is number 47018.

I agree with some peoples concerns about how the government has treated MM2H visa holders. It has given me pause if I want to finish the process. I would really like to see some changes to the laws about MM2H status before I follow through and dump a bunch of money into Malaysia...

Godvilla, I agree with everything you wrote including the part about it being rare to stop someone from re-entering unless it was fairly obvious the person was working illegally in the country, and a retiree with their MCAL doesn't really fit that bill.  I've known a few people who've done visa runs and they've never had an issue although it might be pushing it a little to do it more than once a year.  My only (small) concern would be if I get that one immigration employee who just got chewed out by his boss and also happens to be going through a messy divorce.  That's the guy I want to avoid.

awvelo2, good luck to you.  My application number is 47136, just right after you.  I'm still determined to see this through but like everyone else I'm disappointed that the MM2H program has become less attractive in recent years.  Less benefits than before, stricter requirements, and a very recent reminder that the mm2h visa is closer to a tourist visa than PR.

Guys, I also applied in early August 2019, but my number is 43900, which makes me wonder about they receiving 2000+ applications each month.
Also waiting for approval, anxious about the whole situation. I believe our applications are not far from being processed.
Are you guys using Joy-stay as agent?

Good luck to you on your application. We did our application in November. So that's about 2k applications a month. Ouch!

My application ref number is 49415 - submitted 5th February 2020. In case that helps!

Just FYI, it seems like Malaysia entry restrictions for MM2H holders has been relaxed recently.  I saw this on Cathay Pacific website as of 6/5. 

Exemptions

Passengers who hold a Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) Pass are permitted to enter Malaysia provided they meet the following conditions:

A letter of approval from the Immigration Department of Malaysia has to be obtained prior to departure, and a copy of the letter must be showed during check-in.

Authorisation of entry is subject to inspection and compliance with the conditions of entry set by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

Perform a swab test in their country of origin in the 14 days prior to arrival to Malaysia (showing a negative result for COVID-19).

Submit a self-declaration letter to bear all cost of quarantine at the designated quarantine centers in Malaysia.

I just heard from my agent that it is possible they are not releasing approval as foreigners are still not permitted to come in during the lockdown, which is extended to Aug 31st. It's not 100%, but I hope it's getting better soon.

Dear all.

Im living in Sabah on the 16th year, so have seen the many changes to the MM2H program over the years.
Due to government change and the current political setup please check the 2 articles below.

best

KP

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/ … says-nancyhttps://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/ … rom-july-6

Foreigners ARE allowed to enter but must show proof of a Covid-19 test within three days of departure from their home country (which in many cases makes it difficult if not impossible). Apparently they are asking for a real document with details not just an email, as well. As well, one must go through a 2 week quarantine.

Now as to those who have already been approved...there has been no announcement at all that they cannot enter and complete the final requirements.

What has been suspended is the taking in of NEW Applications and the processing of unapproved applications.

I would contact the MM2H office and ask if they can issue you with a letter of entry. If they deny it...well...then that's another element. But you technically have been approved (conditionally).

Hey guys, how you doing? Has anyone here been approved or had your application denied in face of the MM2H suspension?
I heard people that applied from September 2019 on were denied...

Just heard from the major agent handling Sabah MM2H that they too are suspending any acceptances of new applications of MM2H until sometime in January. They also blame the shutdown on "no one can come in to apply" but even when the RMCO ends and when tourism reinitiates they said that they would then wait until the Federal MM2H  program is reviewed and revised.

So that leaves Sarawak as the only potential MM2H alternative. But no-one, even from the Peninsula can get in easily. Maybe after August 16th.

It seems we can't check applications at MOTAC website anymore...

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please only use English since this is an English-speaking forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct