COVID-19 and expatriation in Mauritius

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts Mauritius, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in Mauritius.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in Mauritius, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your expatriation in Mauritius unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

We got here at the beginning of March and also got our dogs here before the lockdown. We think of our family over in the UK but we will not be returning there anytime soon. We have a great neighbour who helps us if we run short of anything and would not change our decision to move here to Mauritius.

We have lived here two years now and got back to Mauritius just before the compulsory quarantine came into force, we had to change our flights at a huge cost to get in early.  we had been in europe seeing my family.  luckily i went shopping as soon as we got back so had a lot of basics before the lockdown started.  We tried many online delivery companies with varied success and indeed cost.  some were useless, some very good, some crazy expensive.  we have avoided going out to the supermarket until last friday but that was not so bad.  the confinement has meant i have had to cancel planned trips back to the uk to see my daughter who is due to have her first child next month.  also business is all by conference call now. Mauritius seems at present to be a good place to be isolated but i fear food supplies may start to get tricky as food supplies in UK and France are beginning to suffer because of the lack of migrant workers.  Will that affect what can be shipped here?  And will it mean higher prices?  facetime has come into its own as has whatsapp.

I am in Himalaya region right now.
Things are not that worst as discussed.
See you again there.
Actually working establishing business with learning in each country around the world.
Later on will try to locate 5 people in each little council of 2000 people in 15 to 20 km radius.

Philip I wrote:

We have lived here two years now and got back to Mauritius just before the compulsory quarantine came into force, we had to change our flights at a huge cost to get in early.  we had been in europe seeing my family.  luckily i went shopping as soon as we got back so had a lot of basics before the lockdown started.  We tried many online delivery companies with varied success and indeed cost.  some were useless, some very good, some crazy expensive.  we have avoided going out to the supermarket until last friday but that was not so bad.  the confinement has meant i have had to cancel planned trips back to the uk to see my daughter who is due to have her first child next month.  also business is all by conference call now. Mauritius seems at present to be a good place to be isolated but i fear food supplies may start to get tricky as food supplies in UK and France are beginning to suffer because of the lack of migrant workers.  Will that affect what can be shipped here?  And will it mean higher prices?  facetime has come into its own as has whatsapp.

Any disruption in the supply chain of a food product in its country of origin/production will automatically means shortage and higher prices here.
Some products will be unavailable if the lockdown continues further.

It's recommended to stockpile products that are likely to go missing and to switch to products that will be easily available, like local products and products from countries that are not very affected.

I work in Ebene and have had my occupation permit since the beginining of 2019.

Living in the North the current situation just cuts my commute time by 2 hours a day, curtails my extensive regional travel schedule and lowers my workload.

So cool and great, I am getting to feel like what it would be like to retire here!

Seems Mauritius can defended its self well and will end up being one of the few nations that successfully contains the outbreak.  Well done to all.

My family are in London still. My boss would not let me 'work from home' in London. (the right call from his PoV but very hard on us)

So missed the easter with the kids... and who knows when we will be F2F again...

The lack of imported  Iceburg lettuce at SuperU is a bit annoying but local shops and weekly supermarket trips means that there is no need to panic or go without.

Overall I think this global epidemic is a worthwhile practice drill for 'the big one' that could still come, and may perminentky change some peoples habits values and politics. Definately better prepare the world for future shocks.

So let's stay positive.

I pray that the local tourist economy can return to prosperity soon, as Mauritius becomes a safe destination for other countries like China who have successfully gone through containment and now need a holiday!!

This crisis for me has proven the value of Mauritius as a 'safe haven' ex pat destination and retirement location.

Hello, my husband and I were supposed to move to Mauritius for work in May, I don't think this is going to be possible considering airports in zimbabwe are still closed , however would you help me with the knowledge of when you think Mauritius will open its airport for tourists or people coming for work like my husband? I hope this will be soon because we need to relocate soon.

Beekays4 wrote:

Hello, my husband and I were supposed to move to Mauritius for work in May, I don't think this is going to be possible considering airports in zimbabwe are still closed , however would you help me with the knowledge of when you think Mauritius will open its airport for tourists or people coming for work like my husband? I hope this will be soon because we need to relocate soon.

For tourists, not anytime soon. Could be weeks or even months. Will depend on the situation at an international level. Infected tourists coming to Mauritius will start another infection wave here.

For other people coming to work or those moving here, will depend on flights operating to Mauritius. As of now, only private flights are operational.
I would recommend your husband to check upon private flying options available from South Africa.

There is now some talk of opening "Air Bridges"  - flight routes between countries that are both deemed to be "safe" with the virus under control or contained.

Obviously some restrictions may still apply on arrival.

Personally I am hopeful that in a month or so some routes may open up with restrictions, perhaps even still a quarantine on arrival....

Both ends will have to be safe, and the flights will need to be direct, (no transfers in Dubai for example)

Fingers crossed.

Many of us have had to cancel our plans due to covid19. We can only hope and pray for this pandemic to end. Moreover, we have a responsibility to ourselves to keep safe and follow protocols.
I have been staying in Mauritius for two years as a spouse of Mauritian citizen. I was planning to visit my country this year but I have to cancel it for now. This pandemic has affected everybody. My husband had surgery but after a two month rest he was supposed to start his job in March 2020 the same month the lockdown started. So he didn't get the job. It was a difficult time for us.
We are patiently waiting when the Port will start operating to its normal business hours.

Keep safe everybody. Nou combat covid19.