Medication in Egypt

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like Egypt with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Egypt?

Would you have said that in Egypt drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

We actually had to leave Egypt for medical reasons, but I remember at one point looking for a product that used to be in Egypt but wasn't any longer. I went to around 6 pharmacies in Maadi before I talked to someone who just told me that there were no varieties of that medicine available in Egypt at the moment.

I hate that I can't find
-Allegra
-Bayer aspirin
...ibuorophens are the only things that seem to be here.
-Bayer migraine
-Icy Hot for muscle relief
-Tylenol

Medicine isn't expensive in my eyes but I find myself looking for items I actually use online for American, German brands.  The extra cost is worth it to me. Amazon US is my go to or Marketplace on Facebook.  I have found more of what I am used to there.

I'm also allergic to some antibiotics which can be a challenge here. 

Homeopathic methods are great both here and the US but I do miss the brands that work for me.

I always suggest and I ask my relatives/friends to bring things for me when they visit. Costco size 😉

1 - Yes recently, I found that it was hard to get hold of certain vitamins and minerals needed for everyday use or were unavailable in most pharmacies. some pharmacists said that they do not have many items or there was no delivery of medicines.

2 - The prices of certain medicines are becoming similar or competitive to the home country. Whether they were made in Egypt or were imported - the price is similar.

I have copd so get all my 3 inhalers from the local phamacy. If they dont stock it they get it in for next day. They also deliver free within the hour, depending how far away you live. I cannot fault them. The only down side is i have to pay for them here whereas they are free for over 60 s in UK. I have a rescue pack incase i have an attack which is antibiotics and prednisolone. Both can be bought over the counter which is marvellous for me and cost approximately 60le (£3) which is a brilliant price asbefore i turner 60 this would have cost me £17 in UK. If you know what you want for self diagnosis, just google it in UK then get the generic version here....simple. I cant fault it. Hubby has a sort if exzema and cream on prescription was £8 the last time he had some. Its 17le here ( less than £1). Cant fault there pharmacy's here.

I was wondering about availability of certain prescription medicines. I take Armor for a thyroid condition, which is derived from pigs. When I was in Thailand, I was told the medicine was not available in that country.  Are porcine-derived medications available in Egypt?