Please help me ! Advice needed

Hi there
Please help me with any suggestions :)
I am in the process of purchasing a property in grand bay and will be living there for 6 months a year and in South Africa for 6 months a year . ( I will not be a resident of Mauritius and will not be working there )
I would like to furnish my property I am purchasing with existing furniture I have from the sale of a property in South Africa .
Am I allowed to ship over beds , TVs etc to furnish the property in Mauritius I am buying since I am not a resident ?
I have really nice stuff and just wanted to get some thoughts if it is worth it if I have to pay duty ? Or should I just buy stuff there ?
Thanks in advance
Greg

I m not yet a resident but I bet the  answer is yes, but it will be taxed.

If you are buying a property that is new, usually the developer or agent can recommend a "deco pack" service where for a sum they furnish the whole apartment/house down to cups and saucers.

You will be advised  to contact a clearing service or write to MRU Customs and ask them, they will usually reply quite rapidly.

All the best

Dear Greg
once you buy proerty you will have to apply for a residence permit.
Once this is obtained, you are allowed a consignment of personal effects and household products (non consumable) free of duty and VAT.

Best regards
Bernard

Yesm so the answer is, as a non-residenbt, you will be taxed.

Cheers

bernarddesornay wrote:

Dear Greg
once you buy proerty you will have to apply for a residence permit.
Once this is obtained, you are allowed a consignment of personal effects and household products (non consumable) free of duty and VAT.

Best regards
Bernard

Depends on the type of property .
If it is a G+2 part or condominum,  he  will not need a residence permit, or permanent residence permit to acquire  the property as a buy-to-let investments if he  wishes and rents it  out to holidaymakers or longer-term tenants during his absence

Good morning Greg,

As far as my understanding of the law goes non-citizens, are not allowed to buy 'immovable property' in Mauritius apart from in areas designated as Real Estate Schemes , Integrated Resort Schemes and Property Development Schemes. If your proposed purchase is not in any of these categories then I would advise caution.

markcblencowe wrote:

Good morning Greg,

As far as my understanding of the law goes non-citizens, are not allowed to buy 'immovable property' in Mauritius apart from in areas designated as Real Estate Schemes , Integrated Resort Schemes and Property Development Schemes. If your proposed purchase is not in any of these categories then I would advise caution.

Besides what you have mentioned, foreigners can also purchase apartments valued at more than MUR 6 million and located in a building of more than 2 storeys.

Anything outside of those schemes warrants much caution.