Adopting a pet in Spain

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Spain.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Spain?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Spain?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Spain? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

moving over 31st march,will be looking to get a puppy soon after.any reccomendations foe the xativa(valencia) region would be welcome.

Hi

I have been a dog breeder for over 45 years, in Sweden, Norway and here in Spain for the past 15 years. I have travelled around the world with my dogs to different exhibitions. I have helped friends to bring dogs from Spain to other countries. I have a good connection to ASOKA Castalla (dog reescue center). So yes I think I know what it takes to get a pet from Spain and I am willing to help and share my experiences.

There is no reason to adopt a dog in Spain as the streets are littered full of strays/ abandoned dogs and cats, more inland than on the coast, I got all three of my pets from Spain, one from the rubbish bin, she is not 14 years old, another that I took in while fostering hunting dogs that had been abandoned, and my cat was also found on the streets.

Jeez why would you breed dogs when the streets are littered with abandoned strays, the shelters are full, and they are killed on a regular basis, I believe they wait 10 days before killing  the strays. It seems totally immoral to me to be breeding dogs while shelter dogs die!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lo siento no soy tu papá

@Miguel Bravo : Can you please post in english on this english speaking forum?

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

take companion animals from the shelter  they make amazing companions always grateful to you.  Never but frown a breeder - many dogs sick, and every dog bought at breeder adds to the population explosion Iexponential) and one dies in the shelter that could have had a home

Adopt don't buy

Hi,

Totally agree. Buying a pet is pointless and could be seen as immoral given the number of strays and abandoned animals. Adoption is vital as there are endless cats and dogs that end up there. They are often very good animals, good character and very grateful/loving.

Same as most places, need to get animal microchipped and vaccinated, and have pet owner's booklet or pet passport.

We rescued two dogs through an adoption agency here in the UK, sadly Bradley our little podenco died during lockdown in 2020 aged 12 leaving Hatti our 14 year old bereft. we are coming over in April and are hoping to find a little dog to bring back home with us, I have spoken to Daniel the vet in Castalla and he is happy to help me with the necessary vaccinations and paperwork, can anyone over there in Asoka rescue centre help me to achieve this, maybe I could have access to the dogs that are available. thankyou Carol

Dear Carol I adopted this dog you see with me in the pic / his name is Volken and my husband forced me give him back to the shelter because with the pandemia as a selfemployed I was without income but I would tell you if you want to adopt him he have passport, chip and I pray every single day to him find a family with place for him. If you are interested I will give you all details of the shelter for adoption name is SOS Sagunto in Valencia and I would help anything you need to take it , Bless you xxx  Kassima

Hi Loic  I adopted this amazing mix labrador and mastin from SOS Sagunto in Spain , I payed hundred euros and he was my dear , my husband forced me to give him back to the shelter as I am without income as a self employed /and it broke my heart. Anyway he is full vaccinated with chip and european passport if you know anyone who want to be blessed with the love companion of this dog i will give all information and help / There is no burocracy for adopting a dog here in Spain you just need to have your documents and pay the fee of the shelter which is hundred euros . I can give you the contact of the shelter and anything you need with help , even translation for spanish or whatever i can do to see those dogs finding a loving family please count on me , Bless you  Kassima Karina Finardi

i am looking to re home my sons dogs who he very sadly cannot keep and I also am unable to home them. His circumstances have changed and we have explored every version.

we live in Mallorca presently. He has 2 beautiful dogs. Am I able to advertise to re home them on here?

thank you

Hello gretajasmine,

Yes, sure!

You should post an advert in the Spain classifieds section.

There is a dedicated category for pets.

I hope they will be able to find a new family soon.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team