Moving to Spain with our pets

Hi everyone!

We are an Australian and Singaporean couple looking to move to Spain under the Nomad visa for a year and hope to have the possibility to extend after. Our jobs revolve around the seas so somewhere coastal is ideal. We are also relocating with our 2 dogs and 2 cats and will prefer an area with good access to nature parks and beaches. Is there somewhere in Spain that anyone will recommend to live in? Thank you!

@D.Pearce  My husband and I have recently moved to Madrid. We started traveling around Spain and discovered Salobreña.  Well really anywhere in the area of Málaga to Motril.  From the breath taking villages of Mijas Pueblo to the beaches of the Mediterranean.  It's a win. We loved it so much we are looking to buy down there. Good luck with your adventure!!

@D.Pearce

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with your move to sunny Spain.

Spain has a LOT of coastline, especially on the Mediterranean side, so you have many, many options! Especially as digital nomads have a bit more location flexibility so you don't have to be in the big cities, but can choose one of the many charming towns and villages.

The many "Costas" are very popular. I think the most well-known are Barcelona and the Catalonian Costa Brava, and nearby Tarragona and the Costa Dorada. Alicante and the Costa Blanca is pretty great, we live here and like it a lot. And, of course, the Costa del Sol with Marbella/Malaga.

The other side (Bay of Biscay / Atlantic) has Bilbao and the Costa Verde. This is probably the better option if you fancy more surfy beaches. But windsurfing, kitesurfing and sailing can be done anywhere.

@D.Pearce

arenys de mar, Mataro,  on the coast, quick train ride to Barcelona, great outdoor water sports, pools, paddle board , etc.  I bought a vacation home here in 2016 and now live here full time, it is a gorgeous place to live, clean, friendly….

Guardamar del segura not far from Alicante. Quite and peasfull lots of anchorage great dog parks. 11klmas golden sand.

Barcelona is the most pet-friendly city I have ever lived in. Lots of parks for walking them. You only can walk them on the beach in certain months however. We walk a 1.5kg micro-Yorkie so we always are alert for problems because he is so small. Very few problems in 4 months of walks. Most dogs in Barcelona are very well trained.

Barcelona is expensive, but there are beach towns near it which are less expensive. I assume the dogs are as well behaved everywhere near here. We took him to Sitges and had no problems. He loved it.