Customs in Spain
Updated 8 months ago

Foreigners travelling to Spain are advised to inquire beforehand on products which they can take in their luggage. Like in all countries, some products may be imported duty-free while others may be controlled or simply banned. Note that regulations applying to European Union citizens differ from those applied to citizens of non-European Union countries. You can obtain all related information with your carrier or on the Agencia Tributaria website (Spanish Customs Department).

Good to know:

To date, there is no restriction whatsoever regarding import or purchase of goods for personal use for European Union citizens.

Spanish currency

European Union residents do not have to declare their currency, regardless of the amount. Those coming from other countries, however, are required to declare any amount over â¬6010.12. Other restrictions may also apply.

Duty-free products

Generally, travellers over the age of 15 are allowed to carry goods with a total value of â¬300 if entering by land or sea and â¬430 for air passengers. Allowances are limited for those younger than 15 years of age.

With regards tobacco products, you are allowed to import the following products for personal only:

  • 200 cigarettes, or
  • 100 cigarillos, or
  • 50 cigars, or
  • 250 grammes of tobacco.

You can also import alcoholic beverages in the following amounts:

  • 1 litre of distilled beverages with more than 22% alcohol
  • 2 litres of distilled beverages with less than 22% alcohol or sparkling wines or liqueurs
  • 2 litres of still wine.

You can also import 50 grammes of perfume products and 0.25 litres of perfume, as well as some medication according to your needs (accompanied by a prescription), food for personal consumption and baby milk if you are travelling with toddlers.


Travellers under the age of 17 are not allowed to import duty-free tobacco products and alcoholic beverages. Moreover, border workers are allowed to carry only one tenth of the limit. If you come from outside the EU, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino or Switzerland, you are not allowed to import any animal products such as meat or dairy products without official veterinary documentation. However, powdered infant milk, baby food or food required for medical reasons are allowed as well as some fish products, snails and honey for personal use.

Banned products

Some products may be subject to specific controls or restrictions or simply prohibited:

  • firearms, ammunition and unapproved fireworks
  • products for civilian and military use
  • cultural property
  • narcotic and psychotropic drugs
  • counterfeit products
  • waste (including radioactive materials)
  • veterinary drugs
  • endangers species
  • obscene or pornographic material.

Plant products have to undergo phytosanitary control to be imported.

Good to know:

When shipping household items and personal possessions into Spain, certain documentation will be required such as ID, residency status or bank guarantee, proof that you have lived in the country of origin for at least 6 months and that all your items are at least 6 months old, inventory list in Spanish etc. If the documentation is incorrect you may be charged an import duty or risk delays while the shipment is cleared. Professional removal companies will help you make your move smooth.

Useful link:

Agencia Tributaria ' Spanish Customs Agency
Madrid duty-free per country

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.