Criminal record

Hi all and thank you for reading
I want to retire to Spain
I have a minor criminal record from 30 years ago
My question is when applying for a visa will this be disclosed? My wife doesn't know about this and I can't proceed if this will come out
Thank you for helping

I cannot image a conviction, especially a minor one, 30 years ago need be mentioned anywhere

I had a disturbing the peace in 1999 that I forgot about that came up on criminal history check with State Police. It was dismissed but the misdemeanor charge remains on my record. I'm not gonna worry about it

When you say it was dismissed do you mean at court the  judge dismissed the charge?

Hi Doug
I'm in the uk
Thank you so much. Your response is informative and I appreciate your time in responding
I am reassured by the info
Thank you

The police record said dismissed  by court. I had no clue or memory of the incident  or aftermath
Either it was  so traumatic I buried the memory but more likely  just another crazy not  memorable incident.

Minor offences and given so much time without offence. You will no issue Retiring to sun.

In U.K. a case which is dismissed ‘never existed.'  Therefore never needs to be mentioned.

Whereas an ‘absolute discharge' is a conviction albeit no penalty was imposed.

That is why the  exact wording is important.

That makes more sense. Thanks

I wouldn't be concerned.  I'm certain you need not even mention it.

We all have some things in our past which we don't want to advertise.  You are not alone

Ps    This may be helpful:

Extract from;-

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/in … heck#toc-2

when one is fine bed ,  the conviction is ‘sober' after five years (two and a half years if person is under 18 when convicted)

I recently moved to Sitges, Spain from Dallas, Texas.
I never had anything on my record, criminally or otherwise, but when I applied for my non-lucrative visa through the Houston Spanish Consulate, I had to submit to fingerprints, and had to get an apostilled document from the Department of Justice in Washington.
Mine was all clear and ok, but I don't know how far they go back to detect information.
Just wanted to let you know, if it's minor, you may not have a problem, but this is part of the process of moving to Spain. 
Thanks and best of luck to you.  I just moved here in December 8, and love it.

Judge dismissed the case so no convicted but remained on my state court record as a charge
Depends on jurisdiction
They give you a choice to provide state or Federal.
State was the easier route
So far so good

Hiya,

to my knowledge if it was a minor crime it won't show after a period of about 11 years if you are British. However, anything major will always be there.

There are different statutes of time for different crimes. I studied European Law, but it was  a while ago, So please don't take what I have written as gospel. You should still research this. However, it is my hope that this can point you in the right direction.

People to ask would be employment lawyers in Spain or immigration lawyers (the latter is probably the best bet). Lastly it might be on gov.uk or the Spanish equivalent.

Sue550 wrote:

Hi - have only just joined this group, but this is my situation.  I want to reside/retire in Spain.  I am scared that a past criminal record will stop me.  My "crime" took place 27 years ago.   I have investigated and believe that I will have to complete documents that will ask if I have a criminal record (answer - yes).  Also to live in Spain, I believe my fingerprints will be taken.  My past crime did result in fingerprints being taken and I have a criminal record...   
Should I admit this when I complete my application or take my chance??
I live in England.

Honesty is the best policy. If you do not declare past history and the authorities do find out this could cause you a heap of trouble. i.e deported, banned from entering the country in the future....

This might be of interest https://www.spainvisa.eu/applying-etias … al-record/

@Retiring to sun

Hi - just saw your message.

Did you get your dream and retire to the sun?

I am in a similar position  - my husband does not know my past ...

I will have 'No Live Trace' showing on my ACRO as my offence was 37 years ago....   a stupid shoplifting offence.

If your application progressed, did you go to the Spanish Consulate?   Did they discuss your past?

Sorry to ask but how did you get on?     

Thanks.