Summer in Hungary

We are thinking of buying a small cottage in rural Hungary.

I'm aware its a continental climate.

My partner is worried that the summers will be unbeareably hot. We aren't so bothered about winters (we quite like the cold).

Obviously it varies massively on what region (we are yet undecided on this), but what are the summers really like? I've read in some places they are fine, and other places, unbearable!

Can anyone offer any insight? Are they really that bad? How long does summer proper last for? Is it the sort of heat you can't really get anything done during the midday hours?

I've researched average temps (which don't seem that bad) but anecdotal evidence would be appreciated!

Harry hey again :)

Excuse some on the posts as they are from the USA and Austria. But mainly from Hungary.

Today's Weather

It can get very humid here at times but as I lived in the desert of the US for years, it isn't so bad here. We go to the lakes often for the entire day to cool off and swim. If you work however then you might wish to make sure there is a local pool or lake to visit when you  get away.
I would probably build or buy a swimming pool if I had a yard here but I am part-fish.
Our building is made of brick and it really seems to keep both the hot and cold temp. from outdoors bearable indoors.
Panel houses are either too hot or too cold indoors with an A/C or heat on all the time.
With a "normal" summer it usually goes like this, hot and humid for a week or so then rain and everything cools  and washes clean. Summers are short here, too short at times.
I'd have other concerns about living in rural Hungary then the summer temps.

Harryhamsta wrote:

Obviously it varies massively on what region (we are yet undecided on this), but what are the summers really like? I've read in some places they are fine, and other places, unbearable!

You basically answered your own question. That is, it varies. But over all, any place can get very hot here. I live near Lake Balaton, one of the cooler areas due to lake side effect (also one of the most expensive now) and even here the summer temps often now go over 35°C. Has hit 40° as well on occasion.

And it is a humid heat. Dry desert heat is easier to take.

For the coolest summers, you need to gain altitude or latitude.

For what it is worth, photo of a thermometer in my vineyard in July.

https://stcoemgen.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/2017-07-21-17.47.59.jpg

klsallee wrote:
Harryhamsta wrote:

You basically answered your own question. That is, it varies. But over all, any place can get very hot here. I live near Lake Balaton, one of the cooler areas due to lake side effect (also one of the most expensive now) and even here the summer temps often now go over 35°C. Has hit 40° as well on occasion.

And it is a humid heat. Dry desert heat is easier to take.

For the coolest summers, you need to gain altitude or latitude.

Just to echo that...what you usually find is that there's a wide variation between day time and night time. It can vary by 20 C and nights can feel almost chilly compared to the day.   I've seen temperatures well into the 40s.  We also get violent and sudden and torrential thunderstorms during the summer.

Another thing is that weather is  predictable - the day when it changes from one season to the other can be timed almost to the day, when even the rain will stop and it'll get sunny and warmer, And oddly, when the flies first appear!

fluffy2560 wrote:

Another thing is that weather is  predictable - the day when it changes from one season to the other can be timed almost to the day,!

Well, I sure for one, did not predict spring time temps this weekend. In the start of February. The middle of winter. T-shirt weather all weekend here..... :)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Another thing is that weather is  predictable - the day when it changes from one season to the other can be timed almost to the day,!

Well, I sure for one, did not predict spring time temps this weekend. In the start of February. The middle of winter. T-shirt weather all weekend here..... :)

Yes, but it's not that unusual....I remember the winter of about 1996 in HU....we were all T-shirts while out on our bikes.  It was really unusual but again, that was February.  It's probably the Foehn or Foehn like weather.  I also suppose everyone will be getting Sahara sand on their cars too!

Meanwhile in the UK, when I was there about 10 days ago, all the daffs are coming up and the snow drops are still vaguely around.  It's always a month later in HU so by the 3rd week of Feb, Spring should be very visible.  And by April 15, no more winter tyres or snowchains required (at least in Austria).  Generally no more snow post April 15. Yay!

I really like the Spring.  I means we got over the worst of it and warmer weather is definitely on the way.  Life can begin again and there's optimism in the air.  Even more than Spring in HU, I really like Spring in the UK.  There's a smell and a look to it that couldn't be anywhere else.  HU is a good Spring (despite Brexit) but nothing quite like the UK for me.