New members of the Cambodia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cambodia forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Cambodia if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Stephen & Vicky from Liverpool UK, both visited Asia, in the past loved Cambodia, hoping to land jobs teaching English, due to arrive end Feb 2020, interests are Liverpool FC, travel and living happily...

Hi Julien  :)

Newbie here!

I'm an Indian holidaying at Malaysia at the moment.

Hoping to get teaching jobs in the south east asian countries like Cambodia, laos and vietnam.

Need some guidance from natives and already living expats. :)

Thank you Julien for the warm welcome. I'm Phiona Paul. I'm planning to move to Cambodia. I wanna teach English as a Foreign Language. I haven't found one yet. I thought this forum could help.

One more thing, I'm Kenyan.

How come I get a notification of a new reply to this topic, and others, yet when I check, its says 'this thread no longer available'? Whats going on?

Someone trying to put adverts in this forum, which is not allowed according to the code of conduct.

Cheers.

Joe

Hello Joe, if I get a job through  a volunteer program, will it be possible to get an ordinary visa?

I think so but in all case you need to get an invitation letter stating that they will employ you.

That letter you have to show to the embassy in order to get your visa.

Joe

yeah, they are going to employed me. I will receive a letter from them.

Hi guys

I am a newbie ! My name is Michelle, am a Zimbabwean national living in South Africa but looking to relocate to Cambodia as an English teacher. I would greatly appreciate your assistance on how I can apply for a teaching job as well as the visa process.

Warm regards

Michelle

Hie I am Chido Clarity  from Zimbabwe.Looking forward to embark on  a new journey of life in Cambodia.Currently looking for employment as a social worker.Your Assistance on how to apply for Visa and employment will be greatly appreciated

Regards
Clarey

Here's my two cents , cambodia is the easiest country to live in for many reasons people are kinder, government makes it easy but the pay is lower , Vietnam is nice also I personally prefer cambodia, but Vietnam pays teacher the most in Southeast Asia, starting pay is around 20$ per hour  and lots of jobs , as Cambodia is 8-10$ per hour , the people in cambodia I think my personal opinion only  ! is cambodia has the nicest people, I live half time in Vietnam half time in cambodia, I'm retired but I do know teachers in both countries

Hello everyone!

I am Will, originally from the UK, looking to relocate to Phnom Penh in the near future. 

I am exploring different employment opportunities in teaching (currently studying for TEFL certification), or logistics / aviation, which is my background. Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Hey teaching is the easiest way To go, but they are generally split shifts , but cambodia is a wonderful place , and depending on your other skills , who knows , but English teachers are still in demand

Hi all.

I'm Grant Richard Boucher, born and breed Johannesburg South Africa. Electrician by trade. Currently in Siem Reap but will be moving to the capital in the next week. Just completed and received my TEFL certification. Currently looking for agencies or platforms where teaching jobs are available.

Regards

Grant

Hello 
I'm Gilles from France,  52 yo
I live on a sailboat around the world and i'm currently in Barbados.
My plan is to go in Cambodia to create or buy a business like a little hotel or something like that
I will need advice and help for this new adventure.
Regards

Hi my name is Kath & a retired UK citizen.  My husband and we have  gone  to Chiang Mai in Thailand for the last 10 years for the winter but we are now considering Siem Reap in Cambodia because of the smoke in Chiang Mai. 
How does Siem Reap compare with Chiang Mai and is it safe.
Any information would be appreciated such as can we get a 'Set- Top Box' & is opening bank accounts easy.
Can anyone recommend a good quality 'Service Apartment' within walking distance of all the restaurants and bars.
Stay Safe
Many thanks

I am currently enjoying 5 days in Siem Reap ( Living in Phnom Phen) . This is my third time here and I can highly recommend the town. Angkor Wat and surrounding temples are worth staying in Siem Reap alone. As far as I can tell the town is safe and laid back, the hotel suite I'm staying in has set top boxes on TV's. Try Airbnb for a good serviced apartment. I'm not sure about bank accounts.
You won't regret coming here that's for sure.

Hi All, I'm just a retired guy... Been spending my time traveling around S.E. Asia... Now I'm spending my time in Cambodia as I like it better than neighboring countries I've visited. The Cambodian people are hospitable and deferential, like Thai people once were... JMHO.

Well I suppose the big question is, when will foreigners be allowed back in to the country. I am retiring from work this year in NZ and had planned to move to Siem Reap to settle down. Lived in VN for years, visited Cambo many times, so I am happy with my choice. But no international flights out of NZ, no entry visa etc.....hopefully it will ease up in about three months or so.

Hello everyone!

Nice to be here. Thank you so much for a warm welcome!

I am Rosamie from the Philippines. I'm staying here for  more than 3 years.  As of this time I'm presently working here in Ratanakiri Province. Because of this global pandemic,  we are advised to stay at home , but im hoping it will end soon and have time to meet new friends again..

Thank you and Have a nice day everyone.

Hello! I am trying to Register the FPC System,  but unfortunately, i cannot proceed because my application was denied and said that my phone number is invalid. Actually, Im using my phone no for almost 3 years already, how come it is invalid. I really wanted to register because my visa will expire in June', next month.  The GDI (General Department of Immigration) will not renew visas for foreigners to stay in Cambodia who are not listed on the FPCS. It will be implemented on July 1, 2020.
Therefore, may i know if you have idea or a solution regarding this matter. any help and suggestions is highly  appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,
If you haven't resolved your problem yet, this is what is posted on their website

According to the DPI announcement –

“We advise that you check with your landlord to confirm that they have registered you on the app. If you do not have a landlord, then you should register yourself on the app”.

FPCS (Foreigners Present in Cambodia System) is available for Android and IoS users.

As a precaution, you can buy a sims card to get a local number cheap to register yourself to make sure you are registered.  Hope this helps, good luck.

Hiram Hiramoto

Hi all,

First off, I hope you all are doing well during this quarantine. I hope it is not too difficult for you as it is for me because I miss the gym so much haha. I am Rada, a 25 year old male. A mixed martial artist born and raised in the city of brotherly love (Philadelphia). Recently graduated from Temple University with a Bachelor's of Science degree looking to land a teaching job in Cambodia.   If anybody can help point me to the right direction that would be greatly appreciated!

Hello and welcome.

You won't be able to enter Cambodia right now,  see the thread "Passengers from 6 countries blocked from entering Cambodia".

Just wait,  things will improve in the near future.

Cheers 

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi Rose_51474,

I'm most sorry to hear of your issue registering with registration with the FPC System. I wish I could help you more!

- You said your application was denied. Yet you have a valid visa! I must wonder (no reply necessary) on what grounds your application could possibly be denied. From what you've posted, you've done nothing wrong.

-Your phone number is invalid? Well you know *887# can prove if that's true, *888# also has info.

- When I heard about registering, my landlord handled it in about 5 minutes (sorry).

- To my knowledge, the registration App is only available on Google Playstore- I checked the App Store, I found nothing there.

- Another option is going in person to the police to register in person; if that's your choice, check be sure you're taking the necessary documents- photo, passport and more.

- Get this done, Rose_51474! Consider the consequences if you don't!

Bless You

Hello Everybody ,

I'm Jean-Benoit , a French Canadian with more than 10 years of professional beer brewing jobs . I'm looking to move with my girlfriend in Cambodia to possibly start a little Craft Brewery .
Anyone who is interested, please send me a message !

Cheers

Hello Jim, welcome aboard this forum.

Feel free to scroll through the various threads and if you have questions left, post them on the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

As for income, $1200 is surely enough to have a comfortable life here. Unless you only drink champagne and dine out expensively. Also money-slurping is going out to the bars.

If you live a normal life you will be able to manage with your income.

As for working, up to you. I know many expats here including me that enjoy their easy life after a life of working. It's so good to only do things that you want to do, nothing must, everything is voluntarily.

I wish you a happy stay in Cambodia.

Cheers

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello all! I am an annual traveler to southeast Asia and plan on permanently relocating in less than six short years. I will be focusing my travels on Cambodia and Vietnam over the next few years with the goal of narrowing down my "ultimate spot." I'll be 51 years old and a retired history teacher with 20 years experience and all the beneficial certifications so I am hoping to secure comfortable employment at some point. My hope is to find a nice, quiet neighborhood within "striking" distance of a daily social life! I plan on grossing about 20k per year NOT including any employment I may secure after settling in.
Nice to meet you! ~Dan

Hello Dan.

Welcome aboard this forum, scroll through the various threads for information and if you still have questions post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Your plans seem to be well-thought over abd I'm sure with your qualifications you will find plenty places to work.

If you are officially retired and receive income from that you even don't have to wait til you're 55, you can get a retirement extension of stay under 55 if you can prove you're retired and receive income.

Good luck with your travela and future settlement.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello, I'm Dave, from UK. Been holidaying in the area for several years, last there March 2020, hopefully coming back October 2020 (Holiday - 6 weeks). Retiring from the NHS early next year, after 34 years as a Psychiatric Nurse, but been mainly managing services for the last 22 years. Will be there again February / March 2021 for 7 weeks. Will be looking for longer term accommodation, probably Riverside area, and maybe a part time job (more of a hobby). Doing a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course at the moment. Would be useful to get some advice / knowledge on the practicalities of living there longer term, visas, accommodation, jobs? I've been visiting as a tourist previously, but have an interest in the region, the politics, the history, the people. Are there any bars / restaurants / gathering places for expats? to pick each other brains over a beer ?

Hello Dave, welcome to this forum where you can find all kind of information re staying as an expat in Cambodia.
Scroll through the various threads for info and if you still have questions post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

To answer your last question, Russian Market area is the place where many expats live, many schools and educational centers so many teachers. The area is great with many shops, coffee shops, restaurants. You can easily meet other expats and they are not  or not only interested in bars with bar girls. That type of expat you find at the Riverside as it is the main entertainment area, also tourist area and because of that more expensive.

Work and hobby make no difference in Cambodia, you will need to change the Ordinary visa on which you enter the country for an EB (business) extension of stay (letter of employer needed) and you will need a work permit each year. To start you could get a 6 months EG (general) extension of stay without any documentation, this extension is meant for people seeking a job or starting a business.

Hope this gives you an idea of living in Cambodia as an expat.

Cheers

Joe

[Post under review]

Hi I'm Shamani, I currently live in South Africa and I am keen on moving to cambodia to teach English I have completed my Tefl certification exam. I am divorced, currently working in South Africa as a Credit Control Supervisor, I am excited about a new challenge and to experience and explore living and working in cambodia. I would appreciate any information rejarding teaching jobs and where is a good city in cambodia to live and work. I love meeting new friends and would love to hear from people living in cambodia.

Welcome you will most likely love cambodia, there is a lot to love it's a beautiful country with beautiful kind people , in my humble opinion, it's the best and easiest country to live in in south east Asia

Are there jobs for expats in Cambodia?  I enjoy my trade as a machinist fabricator and would love to live there and continue my trade.

Come over and have a look yourself. On;y you ccan decide if it's worth to live here.

Good luck anyway.

Joe

If you contact the Cambodian embassy in Washington DC they will tell you about entry requirements. I see from your profile you want to 'retire in Siem and also continue your trade'. If you have a retirement visa extension you are not allowed to work, and once you get the ER you can't change it back to a work visa, so you need to be very clear on what you want to do. Its not like the States, if you get caught not sticking to the visa requirements you could most likely be deported.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=915935

Thanks!

Closed