Expat interest in politics in Malta

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Malta is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Malta?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Malta to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in Malta include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in Malta?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

In Malta Expats can participate in local elections. Our village mayor came to our house and asked for participation. Also other local councillors came along in order to promote their party.
As we have 2 prominent parties we have competition between Nationalists and Labourists in Malta.

When it comes to elections in our different  countries of origin different rules apply.
As I come from Germany I am allowed to participate in the national elections in the town where I resided before I moved to Malta. However, in order to participate I have to print out a form on the internet, fill it in and send it to the council office of the town of my last residence in Germany. If I fullfill the requirements for the elections they will send me the respective documents which I have I to tick and send them back by snail mail.

Of course when it comes to national elections the rules are different from country to country.
Many countries do not even allow their expats to vote after they decide to take up residence on foreign shores.

We can vote in the British elections by doing postal voting upto fifteen years living abroad.
As mentioned above , we can vote here in the local elections, here a policeman delivers your voting cards whereas in the UK they come in the post.