Language exemptions for citizenship

Hi everyone.

I'm a Brit living in Belgium and enjoying it.

I'm looking at hedging my bets and applying for Belgian citizenship.

I have an E card and going with UK Govt. advice to apply for a D card, having 8yrs residence, pay Belgian tax ( not sure why - but it's peanuts) and would qualify for a Belgian pension (€70 a year)

Citizenship requirements want a fluency of one of the 3 languages. Now that's a non starter - I can't remember the right English words!!

I've just discovered on https://www.quora.com/How-much-is-neede … itizenship "If you are handicapped or over 65 years old, you dont have to provide evidence of knowledge of at least one language, and you also dont have to participate economically. Having lived legally in Belgium for 5 years is sufficient."

And there might be my getout!   I'm over 65yrs.

Can anyone (who would qualify as an absolute star!) find the official document that verifies this statement?

Fingers crossed.

Hi,

A foreigner who has been legally resident in Belgium for 5 years and who has reached the pension age or who suffers from a disability or disability that prevents him from exercising a professional activity
The person must:

Be at least 18 years old
> The birth certificate (Belgian or foreign)
Be in possession at the time of the application for nationality of an unlimited stay
> One of the following residence permits: Map B, C, D, E, Annex 8, F, E +, Annex 8bis, F +
Stay legally in Belgium and uninterrupted for 5 years. See question 3.3.
A residence certificate with history of addresses and stays
To have paid the 150 euros of registration fee
> The receipt issued by the registrar
When the person has reached the age of the pension (even if she continues to work)
> The birth certificate
When the person has a disability
> A certificate from the Directorate General Persons with disabilities of the FPS Social Security proving the reduction of earning capacity.
When the person suffers from a disability that prevents him from engaging in a professional activity
Proof by one of the following documents:
> A certificate issued by the insurer of the person concerned recognition of permanent disability or
> A certificate of premature pension for health reasons from the administrative health service of the administration for which the person works (only for the statutory agents of the public service) or
> A certificate from the Workers' Compensation Fund or the Fund for Occupational Diseases or the competent medical service of the administration certifying a disability at 66% (in the event of an accident at work or an occupational disease) or
> A copy of the final judgment certifying a 66% disability (if the person has been the victim of an accident outside his place of work)
The person is exempted from proving social integration, economic integration and knowledge of one of the national languages.

It's true that the possibility exists, but the Belgian state does not really appreciate it ... When you ask to change your nationality, it's because you appreciate the new country and want to be part of its history . But in this case, how do you prove the attachment if you have not even made the effort to learn one of the local languages ...

Hi phipiemar

Thanks for your quick reply.

Can you send the link to the legislation re: exemption for pensioners? I like to go armed with the legislation when dealing with bureaucracy to avoid misinterpretations. Thank you.

As regards you last sentence, I'd refer you to my original comment " Citizenship requirements want a fluency of one of the 3 languages. Now that's a non starter - I can't remember the right English words!!"

Having said that, I have attended 4 different French courses and as with other courses in German and Spanish that I attended in the past, they all want to teach you grammar in a language you don't understand and with  little vocabulary in the first place?!

As regards integration, I am very well known locally, tend the WW2 memorial and the hedgerows in the village and best of all we have the village Xmas party at my place with about 50 attendees and it's a super night. The Belgians know how to party!

Not bad for negligible  French !

Regards

ADDE --> See chapter 6

Did I say that you were not well introduced to the local life of your neighborhood or village? No

You have taken language classes. All the better. But for someone like you who does it, there are nine who do not. And who are content to complain because we do not answer them in English in the official services of the Belgian state.

In conclusion, I wish you many more years of parties with Belgian beer... At home or at your friends' homes