Buying a condominium in Bangkok

Hello everyone

I would like to buy a small condominium in Bangkok (only secondary residence) and I am looking for information about that.

What are the requirements (visa, ...)? In the internet there is a lot of different information (from residence permit to tourist visa).

Can you own the property forever or limited to certain years (like in Vietnam)?

What is the price range for a newer 1-2 room apartment with cooking facilities (not on the balcony) and a bathroom, away from the center but close to a BTS or better MRT station?
I saw many condo selling webpages on the Internet. But either the condos are very expensive or such with deceptive information (the showed prices were only for the deposit, etc.).
Are there apartments 5-10 minutes walking distance to the train for 1 million baht (maximum 2 million if there is a really nice condo)?

Which is a serious webpage outside the luxury segment?

How is the safe purchase process, briefly summarized?

Which institutions (public authorities, notary, …) and documents are needed to make sure that everything is done properly? Is there a land register in Bangkok?

Thank you in advance.

Hi AkaMaverick,

You can have a look at this article: Buying a property in Thailand. I hope other members can advise you as well.

Good luck,
Christine

Years ago I was researching this topic. Found out, that owning a condo will not guarantee that you will be allowed into the country. So imagine, that you've got tied up some $$$ in a condo, but can't do anything with it because there is no way for you to enter the country...

atomheart wrote:

Years ago I was researching this topic. Found out, that owning a condo will not guarantee that you will be allowed into the country. So imagine, that you've got tied up some $$$ in a condo, but can't do anything with it because there is no way for you to enter the country...

I don't think me and my wife are gonna get let in either.
If she was let in if I was temporary banned, that would be enough.
I don't want my main residence there.

atomheart wrote:

I don't think both me and my wife are banned together.
If she was let in if I was temporary banned, that would be enough.
I don't want my main residence there.

can anybody recommend a trustworthy and good real estate agent as I want to buy an apartment in Bangkok.

Thanks
John

@ John : Maybe you can check the business directory : Real estate in Bangkok.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

These two are verified sellers and sell listings on www.dotproperty.co.th 

** Sukhumvit Asset Management Co., Ltd. (SAM) Verified seller https://www.dotproperty.co.th/en/agency … s-for-sale

** Plus Property Verified seller
https://www.dotproperty.co.th/en/agency … s-for-sale

Obviously, if you are set on buying property in BKK, i.e. condo/apt/flat and you have cash on hand to buy it outright then you can likely afford to have the property agents also hook you up with a Thai lawyer which they may recommend. Just some different paperwork for a foreigner to buy that kind of property without a Thai spouse or Thai partnership company. Price ranges all over the map. Nice ones for about 1.200.000 Bhat or about $38K dollars

OR

On the other hand if you just want a fixer upper flat/apt/condo in a standard old bldg. and would like to slide into the deal for next to nothing, then no amount of online searching will get you there. You need to be on the ground. Go around the city to the different locations near subway or overhead railway systems. You'll likely need to walk down a few side streets. There will be plenty of small 3-8 story apt buildings. Just walk inside and ask if they have any flats for sale or perhaps nearby. They will definitely hook you up and probably do all the paperwork for free. Those type of flats can still be found for less than $10K...yes you'll wan to paint it, new tile, maybe new bathroom and sink fixtures etc...all found locally cheap enough. But these deals are really only found on the ground....theses apts just don't go through the hassel of advertising etc. Some have been sitting for years and want to get dumped. Plenty of studio's and even one bedroom flats. ....

Mind you if your looking at ads for Bkk online there often is an issue with pricing as the algorithm may see 1200000 as 120000 without comma separation so it looks like its a cheap condo but really you need to add a zero to the price that's showing. Sometimes, there is actually a deposit price showing and the rest is in the millions...so its a bit confusing...thorough research of the property will reveal the true price. In addition you can always contact about the property by email of phone usually,