How easy is to find a job on an IT field according to my knowledge?

Hi all,

I would like to move to the Netherlands within 2 or 3 years and my preference would be living in Rotterdam. I'm currently studying an IT degree and I have knowledge about repairing computers, networking, web development and even mobile development!

I have knowledge in:
- PHP
- Wordpress
- JavaScript
- Java
- CSS
- HTML
- Android Studio
- XCode
- Node.js

I'm not an expert on any of them but I'm doing it quite well unless I have to build something too complex. Do you think there is any company which would be interested on hiring me? I have tried to find IT jobs in the Netherlands in some websites and they seem to be asking many requirements/knowledge I don't have, so I'm kinda worried... I'm always in the mood of learning new stuff anyway.

Also, I don't know if it does matter but I speak Catalan and Spanish in a native level, in English I have a first level (B2) and currently I'm trying to learn Dutch on Duolingo but it will take me many ages until I don't speak it fluently.

Thank you in advance!  :happy:

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You're an EU citizen, so have the right to live and work anywhere else in the EU, so it really comes down to the job you aspire to.  I assume your degree course is going to cover the areas where you are finding you have some missing skills; if not, then you need to consider what further training you can do in the time up until you wish to move

Language is important, so as you tell us that you are having problems with people "asking many requirements/knowledge I don't have", perhaps you need to learn about these things while at the same time learn to speak Dutch, then in 2, 3 years time, perhaps you have then optimised your skill set so you can get a good job in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You're an EU citizen, so have the right to live and work anywhere else in the EU, so it really comes down to the job you aspire to.  I assume your degree course is going to cover the areas where you are finding you have some missing skills; if not, then you need to consider what further training you can do in the time up until you wish to move

Language is important, so as you tell us that you are having problems with people "asking many requirements/knowledge I don't have", perhaps you need to learn about these things while at the same time learn to speak Dutch, then in 2, 3 years time, perhaps you have then optimised your skill set so you can get a good job in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for answering :) I guess I need to improve my skills then...
Another option I have is working from home using https://www.freelancer.com and I saw many available jobs I could do there, but I think is it going to be better to get a real job because otherwise, I won't get pension when I will be retired. Am I correct?

Hi again.

I can't see your link at the moment (it's a restriction the system puts on all new members to stop scammers).

You will need a proper job with a contract in order to pay taxes which will contribute to your pension etc.  What you're proposing is working as a free-lancer (known as a ZZP in Holland); here's a link to a page on the Dutch Government website that explains it all.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Hi again.

I can't see your link at the moment (it's a restriction the system puts on all new members to stop scammers).

You will need a proper job with a contract in order to pay taxes which will contribute to your pension etc.  What you're proposing is working as a free-lancer (known as a ZZP in Holland); here's a link to a page on the Dutch Government website that explains it all.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I have checked the link but I think it is something different. The website I posted was for working as a freelancer, yes, but not for having my own comopany as it says in the website you have posted. The link I posted is a website where anyone can do jobs through internet, for instance I could build a website for someone, translating something or anything else someone need and then I would get paid and anyone can do all those jobs from home. Again, I think this is not a good option since I won't have any kind of contract which I would need if I want to get a pension when I will be retired.