US Employer and UK Law

Does anyone know if  UK Law Covers American Citizens Working for US based company? I've read various legal cases stating that the host country where the employee lives is used to protect the person from getting fired etc.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If you are working legally in the UK, unless it stipulates otherwise specifically in your contract of employment, UK employment law will always apply.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hey! Thanks for your reply. Basically the contract I was hired on in America was never updated when I moved to the UK. My pay, benefits etc have all changed since that hire date over 2 years ago but a new contract was never made in writing. But it has been established that I live in the UK as I've signed paperwork to decline their medical insurance scheme as a result of not residing there and everyone knows where I live since I never go into their physical location.

Hi again.

Do you have a work visa to work in the UK?

I do :)

If you have a UK work visa with your employer, then your employer is your legal sponsor and has responsibility.

So assuming that your company has a UK registered address (it must have for you to have a UK work visa with them), then UK law applies; if you have a problem, go and speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau (link) and they will put you in contact with someone who can help you.

I have the right to work as a result of having a British partner. The company isn't registered to the UK at all but operates in America, so they aren't my sponsor, unfortunately.  They've just kept me employed while living here in the UK. I'm going to a law centre tomorrow to get some advice, but wanted to see if anyone had more knowledge so that I can provide it to the advisor I see tomorrow as well. I appreciate your help

Ah,

In that case, you don't have a work visa, you must have one of the family type visa (terminology - sorry) and I suspect you will have no employment protection in the UK.  You can still work on a family visa, but you've just found out why the UK insists on UK sponsors for work visas.

I wish you the best of luck in your meeting tomorrow.

Hope I've helped a bit.

Cynic
Expat Team