Hello from Ireland

Hello Everyone

I am an Irish / UK citizen living in Ireland and planning to relocate to Amsterdam next year with my French wife and two children. I have lived in many countries around the word - US, Singapore, Australia, China and France.  But we have decided that our final place to live will be the Netherlands, and preferably Amsterdam.  Although we are open to look at other locations.  I am interested in learning about the formalities of moving and plan to spend two weeks in Amsterdam in October to do some investigations about schools, best areas to live etc.  The children are 4 and 10 and have been educated mostly in France but have a good English base as well.  I am really open to any advice you can offer about how best to spend my two weeks fact finding trip.

Best wishes.

CN.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Amsterdam is an expensive place to live; if you have a lot of money, then not a problem; if not, then perhaps you should consider somewhere more Central.

With regards to the formalities.  You go through whatever immigration requirements are extant at the time you move, then within 5 days of arrival to live there, you must register yourself and your family at the local town hall and get your BSN numbers.  Once you have those, you can work, register with the doctor, open a bank account etc.

Housing, particularly rental accommodation is generally in short supply everywhere, be very careful of being targeted by scammers trying to rent you something that either does not exist or is not theirs to rent.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello Cynic,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and words of advice. This is our first step along the road to our move to the Netherlands. I look forward to learning more from yourself and other forum members especially with regards to locations in Central and elsewhere.

Best wishes,

CN