Job contract

Hello everyone,

Last week i returned to my job and got a new contract last night in my email since it is only signed by digital.

I found out i have only 1 month contract (order picker).  Before i got 5 months. Is it normal to get 1 month contract?  Why the agency ( I applied through agency) doing that?  Is it possible they give only 1 month because of the holiday season?

My husband said maybe because i did not show up in the day they asked me to come to their office. 

Krissah

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Short-term contracts are now the norm in the Netherlands and other European countries to a varying degree (although I'd never heard of 1 month up until today).  It could be related to the Bouwvak which starts in a couple of weeks time.

The reason they are doing this is that people on short-term contracts do not enjoy the same employment protections, so potentially it's less risky for the employer; it simply means they can give you a months notice at any time.  However, after 2 years of short-term contracts, your contract becomes permanent by default; how long have you worked there?

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I started December last year and ended on May. I returned in the job last week after a  4 weeks holiday in the Philippines.  I received holiday money.

But this time i asked only part time job which is 4 days only. No Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
( works start Sunday evening) .

Maybe they not allow part time or me not work on Saturdays since it is very busy day.

Nonetheless, 1 month is too short and i dont know the reason.

Hi again.

If you work less than 36 hours a week, but more than 12, then you are considered as working part-time (deeltijd); part-time contracts are by definition not permanent.  Many people (particularly women, mothers with kids) do this quite happily as it gives them time to do family stuff.

The downside of this is by definition, you no longer have a full-time contract (hence 30-days contract) and it may affect things like overtime payments, holidays etc.

I suspect you're not the only person in your workplace to do what you have done, so ask around your colleagues; if you're not happy, speak to your line-manager.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Just an update of my 1 month contract,

I emailed the agency and found out they made a mistake for giving me 1 month job  contract only.
They  will give me  5 months as normal contract.

I work 32 hrs a week.
😊😊