Looking for Americans in the Algarve

Hello to all.  My wife and I will be moving to Carvoeiro in early September.  We would really love to meet other Americans in the area.  I am 70 and my wife is 58.  We are from Montana.
We hope to make some new friends in Portugal.  Please contact me and let's see if we can get together in the beautiful Algarve.
Cheers
Hal

Hi Hal.  Good luck on the move.  I am a native Montanian and U of M graduate.  We are living in the San Francisco  and will be moving to Portugal in a month or so.  We are looking at the Lisbon area, Estroil, Cascais, Sintra areas.  How did you arrange your medical insurance before moving.  Any problems without getting a Visa?

Hi Dan.  We have been living in Livingston for 15 years.  I am originally from Georgia.
The consulate in San Francisco has been very strict.  They demanded an insurance policy that covered Portugal only.  An EU wide policy would not work.  It had to have no deductible and be in force for four months after we arrived.  We joined an organization called AFPOP to get access to this kind of policy through Medal Insurance. The policy has not been issued yet, we should get it soon.
We have an apartment in Algarve, but we visit Lisbon often.  We love it and I think you wii enjoy living there.
Keep me posted on your progress.
Hal

PS. We now will meet with an organization called VFS instead of Consulate personnel in San Francisco to get our visa.  Our appointment is in mid June.

Hello there,

Are you restrictive on " American " relations only ?
No hard feelings there, but "Americans" are - unfairly but logically - tainted by their international image which I believe you'd agree  is not the best at the moment since January 2017.
Regards
Charles from Paris

Greetings Hal.  Good luck with the move.  I have the same issue with medical insurance.  One person responded with a reference about insurance.   I suggest send a question to expats about medical insurance.  Our house is on the "for sale" market and we will move one the sale is finalized.  I wad in Missoula last week June 9th.

You can check out the member's directory HERE or click on Community at the top of the page then click on Members.

Hi Dan.  We finally have insurance.  I contacted Medal Insurance.  It was a prolonged process, but we finally gat a policy that in force in Portugal only.  I don't understand why the Consulate demanded that kind of policy.
In any event, you might contact Medal  Insurance in Lisbon.
Good luck to you and stay in touch.
Hal

Hi Hal,

Will be back from the states in early September. Also new to the area as I bought a house a year ago near Carvoeiro.

Let me know when you are there and perhaps we can say hello. It would be great to talk about American stuff.

Best wishes for your new residence.

Lou

Hi Lou.  I would love to meet you.  We are planning to get back to Portugal in early September. 
My Residence Visa (or whatever it is called) has not yet arrived from the Consulate in San Francisco.  I met with VFS about two weeks ago.  They now handle the interview and turn the documents over to the Consulate.  How long did it take for you to get yours?  I am worried that our Visas won't arrive in time.
Anyway, God willing, we'll be there in about seven weeks.
Let's get together.
Hal

Dear All,
I m a teacher from Montreal,Canada planning to retire to south of Portugal.
This is my 1st contact with the forum here, I m @ very early stage but look to find some basic info about housing and life cost in south of Portugal.
I m in love with the  beach and ocean and avid fisherman, look for a small condo to rent in the future... many thanks for sharing info with me...
kind regards
Simon

Hi Hal,

Fortunately for me, I am also a European citizen. Was born in Portugal despite living my entire adult life in the U.S.

Interestingly, I was just at the Portuguese Consulate in San Francisco to update my Portuguese ID card. Good luck with your Residence Visa. Don't know what they told you how long the process would take but 7 weeks seems to be ample time. Fingers crossed.

See you in Algarve. Lou

Hi Lou.  I hope to see you soon.  Let's have a glass of wine together.
Hal

Hi Hal,

Sure. That sounds great. Will stay in touch through this site until such time.

Wondering if you got your temporary residency card. Was thinking about it because will eventually have to do the same for my girlfriend. Understand that one has to apply for a one year, then renew for a 2 year and another 2 years for a total of 5 years before filing for permanent residency. But you can be there for up to 3 months with a return ticket. Good luck.

Lou

Lou,I believe you are correct.  I may have made a mistake.  When I applied for my residence card, I assumed all would go smoothly and we could do the Reconciliation in Portugal.  I forgot that my wife could only stay for 90 days without her residence card.  Unless there is some special dispensation or waiver granted by the Consulate to the wife, we are looking at buying a return flight for her before the expiration of 90 days.
On top of this, I am getting a sinking feeling that the residence card will not be sent before we leave on September 1.  If that is the case, I am hoping that the Consulate will forward the card to wherever we are.  I don' t have much confidence in that bunch, however.  I have heard as long as 90 days is now the waiting time for the residence card.
One way or another, we are moving.
We'll meet in Carvoeiro yet.
See you soon.
Hal

Hi Lou.  You are correct about the sequence.  One year, then two years, then two years.  I am 70 years old, so I am hoping I get to the last one.
I am keeping my fingers crossed about the Residence Card.  If it does not arrive in time, I hope they will send it to me in Portugal.  With this bunch, anything is possible.
My wife is getting a return ticket.  I hope I don't have to.
If you want to email me directly, my email address is ***.  My phone number is ***
I hope to see you soon.
Hal

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Please do not post contact details on the open forum. Use the message system for this.