Looking for US Expats in the Algarve

My husband and I moved to the central Algarve area in January 2022 and although we have found an English speaking ex-patriot group that meets regularly here, it is mostly Brits. We love the Brits, but would really like to connect with US ex-patriots here, as well. Does anyone know of a group that meets regularly or does anyone want to start a group to meet regularly?
@mjnabber1

Hi!  We are thinking seriously about making a BIG move to either Portugal or France and would love to connect and perhaps pick your brain?  Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated
Hi there,

What city or town are you living?  I know the number of Americans who have moved to Portugal, or planning to, has taken quite a leap.  Not surprising…We are in Tavira and have quite a diverse mix of locals, which I do like. 

Personally, I think the best way to meet new friends, including locals,  is through volunteering and if you are inclined, go church hopping until you find one that seems to fit.  Getting involved in a new community from the “inside out” will offer more diversity, ways to learn more about Portugals rich history and lots of tips on how to work with the bureaucracy.  And let's not forget many opportunities to learn new languages, most importantly, Portuguese :)

I like Americans, I am one, but I didn't move here to hang out with them in a cliquish kind of way and to talk about the 101 reasons why we all left, or the trials and tribulations of the D7 Visa.

Spread your wings, you will enjoy the journey and never a dull moment.   That said, if you're ever in Tavira please em me, my husband and I can meet you at the lovely City Center for lunch.   Best Wishes
Hi All, Welcome.

How to build a social circle from scratch in Portugal

Best Regards
@syetman

Thank you for the suggestions, syetman.

We have already made a few Portuguese friends and we will continue to do so, I hope, the longer we live here. We have already taken one Portuguese language course, but had to drop out of the second one, as it was just too much too soon. We will probably go back to it, again, next year. One of our new Portuguese friends has actually even invited us to work with him as part-time freelancers, which has been a nice way to earn a little extra spending money, now that we're on a fixed income. So we would say that, so far, we are really enjoying our experiences here and settling in quite nicely.

As far as meeting other expats, we're just thinking it would be nice to meet a few people specifically from the US as a sort of connection to our past, too. I imagine we will meet more US expats as time goes on, since it sounds like quite a few people are making the move from the US to PT now. We were just wondering if there is a group of US people already formed and getting together, in person, on a regular basis.
@lisa49481

Hi lisa49481. We had actually narrowed down our selection to the same two country choices as you when we decided to move away from the US to Europe. Two of the main reasons we chose Portugal instead of France are the Portuguese non-habitual resident (NHR) tax scheme and the affordable lifestyle here. Basic living expenses on a day-to-day basis, as well as the low cost of private health insurance and care, were the biggest draws for us to move to Portugal. We also have friends and family living in Spain and the UK, so closer proximity to them was nice, too. We love France and plan to visit various places there, again, in the future, but Portugal is home...for now.
@mjnabber1

Greetings, I am scheduled to make my move to Portugal as a retired U.S, expat in the middle of September. My SEF appointment is scheduled for September 29th and I am assembling all of the documents requested on the checklist. I would very much be interested in joining an expat group that meets on a regular basis, simply for the purpose of networking and sharing ideas.

Regards,

M

@mjnabber1

Bom dia,

There are quite a few American groups that meet weekly. Not sure where you are by central. My husband & I are in Albufeira & yes American, we have been here for 3 years.  There is a group here, & in Tavira, Lagos & Portimao. All full of Americans.

@syetman

HI

we are two retiring Americans who are scheduled to move to tavira on October 18th, and would like to meet up with your group,

how can we meet up with your group.

@Kvetch69

Great! When and where does the group meet in Albufeira? We would love to meet everyone. Thanks.

Portugal Resident Newspaper (report april 2022):

https://www.portugalresident.com/the-am … re-coming/

ALITA, Americans Living in the Algarve

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1672105009755994/

Americans and Friends in Portugal

https://www.americansinportugal.org/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/america … sPT/about/

@mjnabber1

facebook.com/events/s/expats-in-albufeira-social/639601631122886/

Thursday @2pm @ the marina Jacks Irish pub

you need to join the group first & RSVP.

@mjnabber1 There is an American expat group that meets at the Moonlight Tavern in Portimao on Tuesdays approx. 5 PM onwards.

We live between Carvoeiro and Ferragudo and only know 6 expats from the US in our immediate area and 2 of those just bought a place in Tavira and will be moving.  My guess is that very soon you will be so involved with neighbors and other people you meet that nationality will be an afterthought. 

@syetman Hi. My wife and I are in Tavira for two more days and would love to take you out for a coffee or other food/drink. You seem to have insights on living in Tavira that might help us with big decisions on the ****

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

We will be visiting the Algarve in mid to late September and would like to find a bridge game. Do you know of any in the area?