Do you feel at home in Germany as an expat?

Hello, I'm currently living in Japan as an expat. I've always loved languages and took quite a few in college but stuck with Japanese because the program was really good. I took one semester of german but it was unfortunately during my final semester and although I really loved it, I graduated and never continued.

Teaching english in Japan has made me realize I love working for pre-school/kindergarten aged children and would like to pursue that but in Japan, I will never be looked at as anything other than a foreigner. Not to mention the work culture isn't the healthiest here. I'm not unhappy here in Japan but going to a country where I can walk outside of the house without everyone's eyes on me like I'm an alien with 5 heads would be plus.

So my question is, as an expat in Germany (short-term, long-term, it doesnt matter), have you ever felt like you belong and fit in or are you a token foreigner forever and people treat you kinda poorly because of that? To be honest, I'm asking because I genuinely have no idea what life as an expat is like in germany besides a few generic google articles. Also would be nice for my husband to have better access to some people he can speak english with.

I moved here permanently in 2012 and love it. I fit in here better than in my "home" country (USA) and no one has treated me badly, or like a foreigner. I could already speak German when I arrived and have never expected anyone to speak English with me. When someone switches to English after hearing my accent, I just stick to German - because I enjoy speaking it! :-)

Because of an expat group I'm in on Facebook, though, I can tell you this is apparently not always the case. There are a LOT of expats who complain about how rude Germans are, how "customer service does not exist here," how they are frequently being told by strangers (including at doctors' offices) that they should learn and speak better German, etc.  I have never had a similar experience and am often baffled by what they report. That's probably because I'm so terribly charming.

Here are some more tidbits from others. They are generalizations, but there's probably a granule of true in most generalizations:
Germans never smile.
Germans stare a LOT.
Check-out at the grocery store is stressful - you bag your own groceries and have to be FAST or others will get annoyed at you.
Germans don't understand personal space.
Germans don't know how to queue -they push and shove to get on trains and buses, and they push to the front at bakeries, etc..

The first two or three could cause a foreigner to feel judged or mistreated, but don't take it personally if you notice it - they do it to each other, too. :-) And it's not true they never smile. They just don't smile as often - or as "bigly" - as Americans with our goofy over-friendly grins.

So...there are no guarantees. Probably a lot of it depends on you and the people you find to spend time with. With Germans it often takes a lot of time and effort to make it to the first stage of friendship. They want to make sure you're worth their time before they call you a friend. This is very different from the USA, of course, where people pretend to be your friend almost immediately. Don't expect your neighbors to greet you warmly and invite you for coffee, welcome you to the building or neighborhood, etc. My husband and I have lived in a house on a very quiet street in a tiny village for nearly 7 years, and I still wouldn't recognize our direct neighbors if I passed them in town. This does not bother me, but apparently it annoys other expats. (We are friends with the neighbors on the other side.)

If you come here, volunteer in your community, learn German, watch what others do, and try to fit in. You don't need to pretend to be someone you're not, but there's no harm in making an effort to blend in.

Good luck with your decision.

~Ami im Schwabenland

Obviously, a big and diverse country like Germany offer all kinds of niches, and many foreigners (but not all) find theirs.
In the big cities it is perfectly possible to live an international lifestyle without noticing or getting used to many German specifics - like the ones Bhejl mentioned above).
In other places, e.g. countryside or the economically depressed East, you need to blend in, do as the locals do and learn near perfect German to get a feeling of belonging.
But one abovementioned thing is certaily true: Things move slowly in Germany - if you feel at home and have a good social circle after three years, you are quick!
One advantage is your profession: Kindergarten teachers, especially if native English speakers, are highly sought after, so you can find a job instantly, anywhere. (They are badly paid, though.)

I feel at home in Germany. The thing is that in big cities it is really a melting pot with lots of fellow foreigners from all over. But fitting in depends a lot on learning the language well and is easier in big cities than in rural or small communities where even a German from another region is looked at as an outsider. I have never been to Japan but its attitudes towards non-Japanese are legendary. White Europeans and Americans have a certain coolness factor and have a certain level of acceptance but will always be seen as foreigners. But even Asians, say from Korea, might speak perfect Japanese but be shunned to a degree as outsiders, even after couple of generations. This attitude seems to be extreme in Japan, so one needs to decide if they can handle it because a foreigner is NEVER going to be treated like a native there. In Germany, if one speaks and acts like a local then they should generally get along well in the cities even if they stand out; say being Asian or black.

Like Beppi mentioned, speaking English and German can be a plus for nursery school teachers but the pay is low. The other question is if you can get a working visa. Unless you or your husband have an EU passport it will be difficult. Say as an American you were already living in Germany legally, you could just apply and find such a job. But an employer cannot help one to get a visa to come here to work unless they cannot find qualified personnel from within the EU. It sounds doubtful (but not impossible) that a Kindergarten will have this situation or go to the trouble of doing the paper work involved even if they specifically are looking for a native English speaker.