Post Office Box / Mail Box

In the US we can rent a mail box from private companies and use this address as our own.  Then have mail forwarded to us as we travel. 

Situation:  We will come to Germany on a job seeking visa.  We will stay in Air BnBs as we look for jobs.  Since we do not know where we will end up, we plan on staying 2 to 4 weeks per city (Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Munich, etc) we need a stable place to receive mail like visa stuff, etc.   Once we get jobs we will rent a apartment, etc.  Is this something we can do?   Thanks.

Theoretically this is possible through the Deutsche Post but I think one has to find a post office that has boxes free - usually difficult if not impossible especially for a short period. And I don't know if it is possible for someone not legally registered here. One can send mail in care of (zu Handen von) someone. So works if you have a reliable friend somewhere in Germany.

There are also commercial offers of mailboxes (which you can find by Google, or PM me for a suggestion - I don‘t want to promote this in public).
But those cannot be used for official letters, e.g. regarding your visa or residential status. These will always be sent to your registered residence - and that must always be a (rented or owned) abode. It is possible to register at hotels or AirBnBs if you stay at least a week.

Thanks for the information.

beppi wrote:

There are also commercial offers of mailboxes (which you can find by Google, or PM me for a suggestion - I don‘t want to promote this in public).
But those cannot be used for official letters, e.g. regarding your visa or residential status. These will always be sent to your registered residence - and that must always be a (rented or owned) abode. It is possible to register at hotels or AirBnBs if you stay at least a week.

Not official letters regarding visa or residential status - ok understood, but what about someone who has already got a five year Residence Permit  then maybe using such mailbox facilities  for other "official" correspondence that might come, pertaining to for example -the mandatory entertainment/radio licence, health insurance, or tax matters for example?

NickJM: You can of course use any mailbox for letters where you determine the address to be sent to. This does not work with authorities that get the information from the registration office - therefore TV licence and tax matters always go to where you live (not sure about health insurance).
Do you have a problem with that?

beppi wrote:

TV licence and tax matters always go to where you live (not sure about health insurance).
Do you have a problem with that?

Not a problem, but just that having got the Residence Permit it might be good to spend some time travelling around (like the original poster above), for quite a few months maybe and then rent another proper address later in the year. In the which case keeping on an expensive flat which isn't being used throughout the whole period, seems like a waste of money.  I'm assuming that now I've actually got the five year Residency Permit there won't be any further letters  pertaining to/about it coming in the near future anyway.

It is possible to de-register entirely and be classified as homeless ("ohne festen Wohnsitz" in German), but this has serious consequences and can probably not be recommended for foreigners - read the following article:
https://wirelesslife.de/keine-meldeadresse/
For everything else, you must have an abode and be registered there - that's German law, whether you think it's "a waste of money" or not.