Public nudity

I am from the US, now living in a small town in Hesse, around 650 population.  The house I am living in is on a corner lot, with the back yard fully visible to passers by.
I have a vegetable garden near the fence on that side, and a fair size back yard compared to most here.  I enjoy the feeling of being nude, but do not want to offend people who might see me, and definitely do not want to get in legal trouble over it.  To date, I have only been nude in the house, and on the upper balcony, which has a solid railing, so that I can only be seen from the waist up.
What would be likely to happen if I ventured out into my back yard, say tending the vegetables, using the bbq, etc., while nude?
I  am not trying to be an exhibitionist.  I am a 64 yo widower who wants to enjoy life his way as much as can reasonably be done.

I have absolutely no understanding of this, as I suspect is true of most non Germans, but this might help

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/maga … rmany.html

This depends largely on how open-minded your neighbours are.
There are places in Germany (most famously the English Garden, a park in the centre of Munich, but also some lakes and other places to bathe) where being nude is commonly accepted - so much so that some elder perverts (and apparently also a few tourists) go there in full clothes only to stare.
In residential neighbourhoods it is decidedly uncommon, but o.k. (as long as no public indecent acts are involved) - until someone complains, that is. Thus if at least one of the neighbours doesn't like it, you must stop.
Since it is definitely not endearing in most people's eyes, you should only do it if you don't want to have a good relatiopnship to your neighbours.
I won't do it. Check out FKK (German for nude bathing) spots or clubs in your area (even public swimming pools have them sometimes), visit local Saunas (which are usually nude) instead!

This sounds very much like what I have read online.  Being the only Amerikaner in town, and speaking little German, it seems best to not offend the natives.  Also not worth getting the cops called on me, especially when I am still on a temporary Residency status.  Thank You.

You could always erect a fence or plant a hedge?

Well anyone from prudish America should understand that there are limitations to „freedom“ when it comes to nudity. Germany is much less prudish but it doesn't mean no limits. There are nudist (FKK) sections at many beaches and pools and it is mandatory at most saunas. But people don't walk around in the street naked or even outside of their home where everyone might see whether they want to or not. Do it indoors or in a garden with a fence for privacy. This just seems common sense and I don't know anywhere in the world one would think it acceptable.

SimCityAT wrote:

You could always erect

That might be taking things too far :D

Mmm ..... many years ago, I used to travel around Germany quite a bit by helicopter; in the summertime, the waypoints between departure and destination seemed to take us via various venues that seemed to have nude bathing as a feature.  The point of this .... it seems to happen in certain places, whether your neighbour may object is, of course, another matter entirely, perhaps better to go where those like-minded people gather?