I want to teach English in Spain, and I have a 1 yr old baby...

I know no one in Spain.  Is it really smart or even somewhat safe to get my TEFL (Teach English certificate) while renting there?  And then I would have to get childcare.  Is this country known for taking advantage of women and children who don't speak or know the culture??  Are there guides I can talk to?  People to help me rent in safe communities?  Or websites I need to check out 1st? 

The move isnt scary, I am already an expat in Australia.  So, I'm confident there, just not knowing anyone or anything is what's concerning me.  I'm pretty sharp, just unsure about the safety for an American there....or where to get real info (not vacation brochures).  Some countries arent too fond of Americans---then again I know bad people exist everywhere, not just dark corners.

Any tips??

While you wait for people to respond, at the top of the page, click on Discover that will bring down a dropbox and you can find a heap of information about Spain.

I hope that will be of help to you.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

I have lived in Spain 30 years.  I have never experienced any racial reactions.

My wife came here from the Philippines 13 years ago.  She too has never had any bad experiences and she goes to discos and parties with her friends and walks home alone after midnight    There is no way she could do that practically anywhere else

As for working.  Unemployment is very high.

Unfortunately, as an American to get a working visa for Spain is nearly impossible for most jobs; it is particularly difficult as a language teacher.

On top of that, with a basic teaching certification you would be lucky to get hired for more than 1000-1200 euros per month. Even advanced certifications only get a few hundred more than that.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are significant hurdles in your path.

The good news is that Spain is also inexpensive to live in, and quite safe.