New to Sao Paulo- Giving birth

Dear members,
My husband and I will be arriving very soon to Sao Paulo or a few years.
Being pregnant at the moment i will be delivering in Brazil. We've never been before to Brazil, we are very much exited to start this new adventure but stressed out regarding giving birth as we dont know much about healthcare system. Our health insurance doesn't cover pregnancy and delivery so we will have to pay for everything.
In order for us to start organize things we need your help in order to answer a few questions:
- Do foreigners have the right to access public hospitals like locals?
- If yes is it a good idea to give birth in a public hospital? Any idea about infrastructure, quality of services and prices?  I heard that the following public hospital is good AMPARO MATERNITY https://www.amparomaternal.org/ is it true? any feedback?

- In terms of private maternity clinics any idea about a good private clinic that won't break our bank? Any idea about prices? Ideally we are looking for a good private option that won't be unreasonably priced ( Normal birth, not C Section).

- If anyone has any feedback of a good gynecologist ( in the public or private sector) please do not hesitate to share with us.

- Any recommended areas for accommodation? We are looking for a secure area and reasonably priced.

- Regarding birth certificate and passport for the newborn, what is the procedure? Documents required for the passport.
- What about the procedure for parents permanent residency/ future citizenship i read that as parents of a child born in Brazil we could be Brazilian citizens after one year of residency . Is that true? what are the procedures/ documents required? Any government websites that you recommend we should look at?

- We both understand fairly well Portuguese but we dont speak the language. Would that be a problem, do people speak english as well? We intend to attend Portuguese lessons but in the meantime we hope that the language barrier will not be tough.

Your help would be extremely appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Fiordaliso

Fiordalyso,

This topic has been discussed extensively in the Forum. Please locate the topics that pertain to your inquiry.

robal

Hi Robal,

Thanks for your answer i posted also under health system, i am trying to get updated answers, i've found old discussions as of 2014 or 2017 not sure if the info is still relevant in 2019. Any recommendations where i could post the above as well?

Many thanks

Fiordaliso

Posting here is good enough. I´m sure people are always willing to help. I haven´t found any changes with requirements pertaining to parents and the baby. So the info you already have is valid... 

robal

Thank you Robal,
Best wishes

"- Regarding birth certificate and passport for the newborn, what is the procedure? Documents required for the passport.
- What about the procedure for parents permanent residency/ future citizenship i read that as parents of a child born in Brazil we could be Brazilian citizens after one year of residency . Is that true? what are the procedures/ documents required? Any government websites that you recommend we should look at?"

You want to obtain your child's birth certificate as soon as possible after birth:  it is required not only to establish your child's Brazilian citizenship, but also your own right to request permanent residency.  Many maternity hospitals in Brazil have a notary office, a "Cartório", on the premises or nearby to facilitate the process.  Ask the people at the maternity hospital how to make the arrangements on your first visit.

You should not postpone your Portuguese lessons.  Most people in Brazil are monolingual, even in São Paulo, and while you may find more English speakers there than you would in other cities, even modest Portuguese speaking ability will be a huge help to you.

The list of documents required from you and your husband to make your permanent residency applications appears here:
http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/imigra … o-familiar

Both France and Brazil are now parties to the Hague Apostille Convention, so all of your French documents will require apostilles from the responsible French authorities certifying their authenticity, but they will not need to be legalized beforehand at a Brazilian Consulate.  Do everything you can to have all of your documents in order before you come:  it can be difficult to obtain everything you need in Brazil in a timely manner.  Your documents will need to be translated into Portuguese by a Sworn Translator; this can be performed when you get to Brazil, or arranged over the Internet ahead of time.

The instructions and required documents for requesting a passport for a minor appear in the link below:

http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/passap … de-18-anos

abthree wrote:

"- Regarding birth certificate and passport for the newborn, what is the procedure? Documents required for the passport.
- What about the procedure for parents permanent residency/ future citizenship i read that as parents of a child born in Brazil we could be Brazilian citizens after one year of residency . Is that true? what are the procedures/ documents required? Any government websites that you recommend we should look at?"

You want to obtain your child's birth certificate as soon as possible after birth:  it is required not only to establish your child's Brazilian citizenship, but also your own right to request permanent residency.  Many maternity hospitals in Brazil have a notary office, a "Cartório", on the premises or nearby to facilitate the process.  Ask the people at the maternity hospital how to make the arrangements on your first visit.

You should not postpone your Portuguese lessons.  Most people in Brazil are monolingual, even in São Paulo, and while you may find more English speakers there than you would in other cities, even modest Portuguese speaking ability will be a huge help to you.

The list of documents required from you and your husband to make your permanent residency applications appears here:
http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/imigra … o-familiar

Both France and Brazil are now parties to the Hague Apostille Convention, so all of your French documents will require apostilles from the responsible French authorities certifying their authenticity, but they will not need to be legalized beforehand at a Brazilian Consulate.  Do everything you can to have all of your documents in order before you come:  it can be difficult to obtain everything you need in Brazil in a timely manner.  Your documents will need to be translated into Portuguese by a Sworn Translator; this can be performed when you get to Brazil, or arranged over the Internet ahead of time.

The instructions and required documents for requesting a passport for a minor appear in the link below:

http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/passap … de-18-anos

Do you need to present the parents' marriage certificate before you can get the birth of child registered and receive the certificate?

"Do you need to present the parents' marriage certificate before you can get the birth of child registered and receive the certificate?"

Yes of course, plus an ID...

Thank you very much for this valuable information.
It is extremely helpful.

Kind regards
Fiordaliso

Hello Abthree

I have few more questions please regarding document authentication. You said that documents will require apostilles from the responsible French authorities certifying their authenticity,

1- Actually, I am not resident in my country of origin right now, that means i need to apostille the document at the embassy of France in my current country of residence? Or it can be done also either at the embassy of france in Brazil or by a notary public in Brazil?

2- when you say : but they will not need to be legalized beforehand at a Brazilian Consulate. 
That means once i have the required apostilles i dont need to do legalization anymore in Brazil?

3-Do the passports require apostilles as well?

So far i understand that the following documents will need apostilles for sure:

our birth certificates
our criminal records certificates
our Marriage certificate

Do they need to be translated to Portuguese as well ? If yes, we need to translate them before or after the apostille has been placed.

Last question; i saw on the checklist that there are a few declarations required for example;

-Joint declaration of the spouses or companions, under the penalties of the law, regarding the continuity of effective union and coexistence
-Declaration, under the penalties of the law, that the calling family resides in Brazil;

Do they actually provide printed versions of theses declaration forms, and they ask you to fill in and sign ?

Thank you so much for your precious help, we will arrive in brazil in 10 days from now and would love to have all paperwork ready and avoid disappointments:/

Best regards,

Fiordaliso

Hi, Fiordaliso
1. Every country defines for itself the local authority responsible for issuing apostilles under the Hague Convention.   Normally, it's an agency in the country, not a diplomatic outpost.   Check with the French Embassy in Singapore about how to get your documents apostilled.   
In the US, there are services that send people to obtain your documents and get your apostilles for you:  they're expensive, but effective.   There are probably similar services in Paris.
2. That is correct.   Among signatories of the Hague Convention, the apostille replaces consular legslization
3. Passports do not require apostilles.
4. You will need sworn translations of the documents and the apostilles.    That can be done in Brazil.  If you scan the documents, you can obtain the translations over the Internet.
5. With a marriage certificate, you won't be asked for a declaration of stability of your relationship.   And yes, other declarations may be provided to you if required.

That clarifies. Thank you so much Abthree. You've been very helpful.

Seek a Reputable Hospital from this list...

Pro Matre ( Alameda Joquim Eugenio de Lima x Alameda Ribeirao Preto ). This is a specialized Hospital attending Children and a solid Obstetrics practice.
Hospital e Maternidade Santa Joana
Hospita Alemao Oswaldo Cruz ( Rua Martinano de Carvalho )
Hospita Santa Catarina
Hospital Sirio Libanes ( Rua Adma Jafet )
Hospital 9 de Julho
Hospita Beneficiencia Portuguesa ( Martiniano de Carvalho )
Hospital das Clinicas ( It is not private, and is a School Hospital )
Hospital Infantil Sabara ( not sure if they have obstetry )