Campinas Sau Paulo

HI JUST MOVED HERE A FEW WEEKS AGO WITH MY BRAZILIAN BOYFRIEND! CAN ANYONE GIVE NE SOME ADVICE ON GETTING SOME TYPE OF HEALTH INSURANCE???

pamelaroz wrote:

HI JUST MOVED HERE A FEW WEEKS AGO WITH MY BRAZILIAN BOYFRIEND! CAN ANYONE GIVE NE SOME ADVICE ON GETTING SOME TYPE OF HEALTH INSURANCE???

Welcome to EB.

Could you please not post in uppercase as this is considered to be the same as shouting at someone. Thank you.

Hello pamelaroz,

Everyone, Brazilian or foreigner is covered by the Sistema Unica da Saúde (SUS) for emergency medical treatment, all you need do is apply for a SUS card at the Public Health Clinic (Posto de Saúde) nearest where you live. You will need some kind of identification and proof of your address.

Regarding hospital care, etc. I doubt you will qualify for a private plan unless you have your RNE (which you get when you've obtained a VIPER Permanent Visa or some form of VITEM Temporary Visa such as Work Visa or Student Visa, and you'll also need to have received your CPF (Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas), which is your Brazilian equivalent of a Social Security number and is issued by the Receita Federal.

Actually, Individual plans are almost impossible to find since most insurers are not selling them anymore. They've switched over to collective (company) plans which have fewer government regulations. About the only company still dealing with individual plans is Unimed, it's quite expensive, probably won't cover pre-existing illnesses and will have a waiting period of at least two months if not longer before coverage kicks in.

Also on another note, would you please refrain from using Cap Lock when you post in the forums, we'd all appreciate it very much.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Thank you very much for your help😊 by the way i wrote in uppercase because my vision is  very bad and it's difficult to see way i'm writing... Sorry😄

pamelaroz wrote:

Thank you very much for your help😊 by the way i wrote in uppercase because my vision is  very bad and it's difficult to see way i'm writing... Sorry😄

Wow, do I ever know what that's all about! I suffer from a serious visual impairment too and mine unfortunately keeps getting worse. Believe it or not in this country where there are over 4 million blind and visually impaired inhabitants there are only about 80 guide dogs in the whole nation. One day I'm going to need to train my own dog.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Sorry to hear that! My problem is very difficult to keep under control. I have to use very strong medications which I could never stop using otherwise I could go blind as well. My medication is very expensive. If I can't get coverage, I can't live hear!