New to Sao Paulo - Giving birth soon

Dear members,

My husband and I will be arriving very soon to Sao Paulo or a few years.
Being pregnant at the moment i will be delivering in Brazil. We've never been before to Brazil, we are very much exited to start this new adventure but stressed out regarding giving birth as we dont know much about healthcare system. Our health insurance doesn't cover pregnancy and delivery so we will have to pay for everything.

In order for us to start organize things we need your help in order to answer a few questions:

- Do foreigners have the right to access public hospitals like locals?
- If yes is it a good idea to give birth in a public hospital ? Any idea about infrastructure, quality of services and prices?  I heard that the following public hospital is good AMPARO MATERNITY https://www.amparomaternal.org/  is it true? any feedback?

- In terms of private maternity clinics any idea about a good private clinic that wont break our bank? Any idea about prices? Ideally we are looking for a good private option that wont be unreasonably priced ( Normal birth, not C Section).

- If anyone has any feedback of a good gynecologist ( in the public or private sector, ideally English speaker, please do not hesitate to share with us.

- Any recommended areas for accommodation? We are looking for a secure area and reasonably priced.

- Regarding birth certificate and passport for the newborn, what is the procedure? Documents required for the passport.

- What about the procedure for parents permanent residency/ future citizenship i read that as parents of a child born in Brazil we could be Brazilian citizens after one year of residency . Is that true? what are the procedures/ documents required? Any government websites that you recommend we should look at?

- We both understand fairly well Portuguese but we dont speak the language. Would that be a problem, do people speak english as well? We intend to attend Portuguese lessons but in the meantime we hope that the language barrier will not be tough.

Your help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Fiordaliso

Hospital e Maternidade Santa Joana
http://www.santajoana.com.br/
· Maternidade
R. do Paraíso, 432
(11) 5080-6000

Same folks own the Promatre
http://www.promatresp.com.br/
R. São Carlos do Pinhal, 139 - CEP: 01333-001 - Bela Vista - São Paulo - SP - 11 3269 2233

Public Hospitals

Consider living in Sao Caetano.  Two years in you are entitled to free public health care.
They are very hands on
Sao Caetano and Santo Andre are pretty good at this. 
There might be other cities in Sao Paulo and Santa Catarina with decent public health care systems. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_Caetano_do_Sul
Hospital Municipal Walter Braido., Not sure if pediatrics and obstetry is their forte. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_And … %A3o_Paulo
I would avoid Hospital Brasil and Santa Casa, the later unless you are on a stringshoe. The care is ok, facilties, well...

Hospital Cristovao da Gama is excelent, as well as Santa Helena, Beneficiencia Portuguesa.

At least elderly folk get top notch care.  Santo Andre at least, they have pre assigned folks who visit your residence monthly to assess your health, order a nurse, a doctor. 
Home health with no bill

I am sure Campinas, Sorocaba, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Jose dos Campos, Taubate, Araraquara  are up to par.

Hi All,

Good day. Can anyone recommend some good private/public maternity hospitals in Campinas area? I have gone through all the posts regarding the topic. But most of them are very old and not much about Campinas.

Thanks in advance...

http://maternidadedecampinas.com.br/http://www.hospitalmadretheodora.com.br/https://www.hospitalveracruz.com.br/https://www.hospitalpuc-campinas.com.br

Not sure how good or bad they are.
Plug them in on Reclameaqui.com.br and see the postings ( negative ones ).
Get it translated through Google. 
IF you see a repeating pattern on types of complaints, then you know what is like

Dear sprealestatebroker
really appreciate your recommendations. I will definitely check them out.

In the meanwhile, any first-hand experience will be welcomed.

Are you in Brazil now?
Most all hospitals are overwhelmed with the virus.
Do you have great health insurance? SUS due not accept foreigners until two years living in Brasil. The private hospitals only accept health insurance from a Brasil health insurance company.
If you are a resident of brazil I would look for an insurer in the Campinas area.
Good luck

Hi, Texanbrazil. I am not in Brazil right now but I am really trying hard to avoid coming. Unfortunately, in this current situation, you don't say no to any jobs.

My wife is pregnant at 5 months, there is a high chance that I might come to Brazil next month. I hope I can buy an insurance with the existing condition.  Any guidance is highly appreciated. I heard maternity hospitals are not treating covid patients.   

If I don't get any insurance, I am sure private hospitals are going to provide treatment for money, right?

I am sure they will take money up front. I do not have knowledge as to just a maternity hospital. I am not aware of any here in our city, They have maternity wards and since birth is not an elective surgery they must be operating. All we hear are deaths and new covid cases being reported.
Hopefully someone knowledgeable on costs and insurace. Private Insurers in Brazil do not accept foreigners and SUS has a 2-year wait before coverage under the public system.

As to jobs, you need a Brazil company sponsor or you have to be a citizen or a permanent resident to work and that is a long process.
Unemployment is very high and as soon as you get a work permit pay is low unless you have a graduate degree. Brazil has a "Brazilian first' law which means the company cannot find a citizen to hire.
Depending on your passport you can enter with a tourist visa for 90 days.
As you may have read Embassy/Consulates issue visas, but the MJ (Policia Federal) has the final say upon entry. Being with the child the PF may only allow a stay of up to 90 days.
Flights from India, the UK, and South Africa are temporarily banned due to variants.
You must show proof of a negative RT-PCR test, taken no longer than 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point.
All passengers must fill out the Online Health Form before arrival.
It is recommended you have insurance with Covid coverage,

Must have proof of hotel and funds to cover all for 90 days.

A big thank you for all the details, Texanbrazil. Looking forward to hearing someone from Campinas, Sao Paulo.

Dear Texanbrazil,

Just for future reference, it is not true that you have to be a resident for 2 years to get a SUS card, at least not in Sao Paulo. I came to Brazil a week ago, all they asked for is a CPF and proof of address. I got issued with a SUS card in 15 min.
Why i took it? Just incase, until i find a good insurance deal. I must admit, language is a big barrier.

Good to hear.

Hi...can you please give me more information please regarding sus card..as me and my husband are planning to give birth by next month and I will be coming from Egypt and I have all the same questions you asked...did u find anyone who helped with the papers for the permanent residency and the child passport ? Where did you give birth or not yet ? I mean which hospital and how about the situation there in sao paulo if you are staying there...if you could reply me I will be highly appreciated cause I am so confused...thanks in advance

Hi...can you please give me more information please regarding sus card..as me and my husband are planning to give birth by next month and I will be coming from Egypt and I have all the same questions you asked...did u find anyone who helped with the papers for the permanent residency and the child passport ? Where did you give birth or not yet ? I mean which hospital and how about the situation there in sao paulo if you are staying there...if you could reply me I will be highly appreciated cause I am so confused...thanks in advance

I received your PM with the same question,
Is either one of you Brazilian? If so go to the nearest SUS clinic, hospital for such. If the answer is no, it may be very difficult to enter Brazil being in your last tri-mester.
Immigration is taking a harder stance of 'birthing tourism".
A year ago I was at the GRU PF back office and there were 2 couples that were denied entry and had to return to their origin.
Brazil's SUS and private health care are overwhelmed.

Dear nancy,

We came 3 weeks ago. My wife is 6 months pregnant. But we have/had a complete different scenario. PF will not deport you for being pregnant but u must have a very strong reason why you are travelling at this situation(8/9 months pregnant, one of the hardest hit countries).

I think if you go one step at a time, it would be easier for you to understand and others to help. Let me give you a start..

Which airline is going to allow passenger with 9 months pregnancy?

All the best

I will be in my last days in my 7 month not 9.. I haven't heard anything like this before in Brazil that the pf will not allow a pregnant women to enter the country...have u been asked in the airport for anything like this ? Or u saw someone facing anything like this ? Did you also find anyone there who can help you with the  documents needed like a lawyer or despachante ...have u already registered in sus ...I don't care alot actually about the sus card I was just asking if it lower our budget when it comes to the delievery date..but I can delievery in any private maternity hospital I know that I will pay alot but I don't have other option so that's why I was asking about the sus

nancydarweesh wrote:

I will be in my last days in my 7 month not 9.. I haven't heard anything like this before in Brazil that the pf will not allow a pregnant women to enter the country...have u been asked in the airport for anything like this ? Or u saw someone facing anything like this ? Did you also find anyone there who can help you with the  documents needed like a lawyer or despachante ...have u already registered in sus ...I don't care alot actually about the sus card I was just asking if it lower our budget when it comes to the delievery date..but I can delievery in any private maternity hospital I know that I will pay alot but I don't have other option so that's why I was asking about the sus

I have witnessed such. Some time ago the MH asl the MJ to help control its health system. I also saw many having visas and incorrectly answer the questions on the visa applications and denied entry.
You need to apply for a visa at the Consulate apply for a tourist visa answer the questions and see if you can receive such.
You do not need a lawyer for this process.
The PF has the final say on all visas, not the consulate/embassy since 2017.

I already have my visa issued for 90 days if I don't understand you wrong and I am still in my mid of 7 month and the airlines I will be traveling from allow the pregnant women upto 35 weeks with is first of 8 month ...my concern was about someone who can help me finalize the resident visa and the baby passport.

Dear Nancy,

On your previous comment you said you are giving birth next month, so i mis understood. I thought u are around 9 months.

Correct !!! It is not illegal to travel when you are pregnant.

Like texanbrazil said, PF has the final authority. I can also confirm, PF will not deport you just because u r pregnant. Saying that, while entering Brazil you need to have your facts right. Again I assume you are on a tourist visa. So you are coming for tourism to a country where corona has hit really hard and u r 8 months pregnant. We have a lockdown here. I hope you have done your homework.

If you go to private, they don?t need anything except your money. So don?t worry. Sus and bank account, i have already answered checkout my other posts.

No!! I can not help you, as i am not a legal advisor. I can only share my experience. It is your decision whether you will follow me or not.

I can only second to texan, you don?t need a lawyer, you can do everything by yourself. I personally found PF very helpful. Just be polite and truthful. They are the best immigration people i have ever meet.

All the best.

Thank you so much I do really appreciate your help and I do really hope that things will become better in the coming days regarding corona virus I have the same concern that I am taking the risk but I really have to do this ... ..last question please ..what kind of lock down now in sao paulo..is it full lock down or it is like from specific time to time like you can still go out to restaurants and malls or they are closed

I too am somewhat confused.
You will travel 7-8 months pregnant. and want to give birth in Brazil for Permanent Residency. Correct?
You will probably be asked the intent of your stay while a tourist. All answers will be entered into the MJ system.
Brazil has one of the highest rates of Covid.
All healthcare is at a collapsing point.
It will take some time to apply and be approved for a CRNM and until such you will need a long-term rental to provide as your resident, a CPF for both of you, you cannot work or have a bank account until the approval of CRNM and approve Work Card.
To apply for permanent residence, you will need to provide police records of anywhere that you have lived for the past five years as well as from any country that you are currently a citizen of.

Yea I planning to give birth for that reason permenat resident...I already finalized all the documents needed for the residency like criminal record and the other documents needed and they are legalized here from my country and translated already...I have been to Brazil before back in 2017 and everyone there were very helpful even the pf but this time is different because of the Maternity case...should I be honest if they asked why your here at this moment as it is not clear on me that I am pregnant as well should I mention that I planning for giving birth here ? This is the only thing I am afraid of but as I mentioned before I haven't heard any stories for aborting pregnant women from Brazil.. so you made me afraid of this step now :(

Also I will be renting an apartment for 2 month and I have read that I can get the cpf if I am foreigner if I am staying in Brazil for 2 month ..i don't care so much now about the sus it was like a plan b for me but plan A that I will be Givin birth in a private maternity hospital to avoid contacting with any covid cases as well

No advice as to birthing.
".should I be honest if they asked why your here at this moment as it is not clear to me that I am pregnant as well should I mention that I planning for giving birth here? This is the only thing I am afraid of but as I mentioned before I haven't heard any stories for aborting pregnant women from Brazil.. so you made me afraid of this step now :("

I will be upfront. I have family that works for the MJ. One is an agent and how I was lucky to spend time with the secondary migration office in 2 airports, The Second is a Federal prosecutor in Brasilia.
One of the main reasons for denial of entry is fraud on visa applications. In other words, never try to hide anything or say " I forgot"!
It is not like bring in fruit which is not legal and they just throw it away and fining you or issue a warning.
There is always a risk/s. Denial of entry.
As said we are here to advise and that's it. It is your choice.
There is no avoiding Covid. Many health workers have died due to Covid.

Thank you for your help and your time i do really appreciate it ..

Best regards

Dear nancy,

I can see texan has answered the long process in short very nicely. After arriving, from mobile phone no. To Brazilian passport, each item has an individual document requirements. I have been going through those for last three weeks. I may not answer in private. But in any steps if you need any info, i can share the current and right ones. Feel free to ask in the forum.

I like your attitude. You are assertive what you want to do. Lets put it this way. ( my view )

If  Mr. X can travel to Brazil for hair transplant and Mr. Y can visit for a tummy tuck, why not a woman to give birth?

So don?t be scared. I don?t see anything wrong and illegal in it. Unless someone can point me the specific law.

Good luck