A CLOSER LOOK

A Closer Look 0001

Where is home?

Ascending through the clouds, coming into view was the lush vegetation and visual beauties of an island not yet known to many, yet known to a few as home. The island has its very own rhythm and dance. No matter how hard you try to emulate the native heartbeat it is only known by the few who have experienced its concerto of life. My mind, my soul, my heart and my energy they all confirm with each other that there is a special transformation that takes place as I step out of the door of the airport and inhale the life that is ready, willing and waiting to teach me just a little bit more. Forgetting that my luggage was at times an inconvenience in my journey to arrive at this island, I took my first breath of the tropic ambiance once again and let it flush the frustrations of life and all the negative dynamics that had attached themselves to myself over the last few years and invited the rhythm and dance to consume me, to bath me and to once again bring me back into the adventure and excitement of the unknown….then again…now..the known.

As I scanned the crowed gathered outside of the metal fencing crudely placed in order to control the masses that gather, in order to meet and welcome to their island those from another land, a county, an existence many will never ever get to know…..I heard a quiet yet familiar voice call out my name….Goyooo…looking up I saw the face of my wife's daughter. It was illuminated. Her son cried out the name of my wife and quickly they were united, with tears and a visual sight of gratitude.

After the welcome hugs and exited conversation, we were loaded into an SUV that we had rented before we arrived, the owner of a small other pickup loaded up our luggage, and into the city we drove. Leaving the window down and letting the smells and sounds once again make themselves familiar to me, I began to hear the song that was being sung at this place on earth. It was calling me, beckoning to me to celebrate with it, its nature and its dance.

Maybe I did notice a change, the streets seemed to have been updated, new paving on some of the much needed areas that I remembered as problematic. My mind was drifting and my observations were consuming my curiosity to the point that I just needed to unplug for a while. Shutting my eyes I listened to the family, to the traffic, to the car and to the sound of the city. The honking of the transports, the scooters, the people and the music, it all was beginning its intravenous rejuvenation of one lost prodigal son, who now was coming home. A small smile began to form at the corners of my mouth as I saw coming into view a place where I would later that night pillow my head and close my eyes to the rhythmic cadence of the fan, the music, the street, the rain and the roosters of the barrio. Yes this is and always will be called……home.

Thank you for once again sharing your experiences with us!

Other than some editing problems I will try to bumble my way back into existence. Good to make contact again My good friend (d)..planner....after all....I need another drive North to PP next trip. Might need a few days to recover from a little incident that happened at WalMart yesterday. Wifey was hitching a ride on a grocery cart and I had a good head of steam when she tried to jump off....sore wrist and knee....kids will play.

Ouchhhhhhhhh.

And you wont head north this time, head south. I am in the capital again honey.

Welcome home Groby57 anxiously waiting for good readings!!!!!!!!!!

Im not sure a small blip on the radar is even worth a glance, however it is something. Today I returned here to Expat.com to read and try to find the once obtained excitement of the lure of the island....yeah.....it's still present. Although life is an awesome teacher, our experiences, if we allow them, they will be a testiment of our effort to forge new pathways and adventures in our lives.
Yes, I discovered the island. Yes, I met some truly incredible people here and in person.
Now there is a new Price Mart across from the US Embassy in Santo Domingo.....now there is a new express route that begins at Pedro Brand and can take you to the SDQ airport Las Américas in 30 minutes.....however I urge a bit of caution to not take it at night....it's not well lighted and the local livestock chaps, use the autopista to move their animals......in my last trip I was introduced to the new transport system being constructed in Santo Domingo. If you haven't seen it, there is always the boneyard of the confiscated scooters from the last 50 years.....maybe the recycle value could help pay for some of the new transport construction....hmmm. My life now has me situated between Santiago and Santo Domingo.....it's a peaceful place...although I'm an hour from any beach, I do find other entertaining ways to pass time with less stress than I would have stateside. I have managed to find a nice place to live that costs me about 190.00 US per month....even though I'm still working stateside, it's cheaper than coming over and staying a month in a rented house or hotel. Where I once had a forum post called "It's A Wonderful Life" I changed it to A closer Look....slot of my early experiences are posted in the Wonderful Life forum...however going forward I will remain with the A Closer Look forum....I look forward to catching up with my friends and aquaintences from the past and meeting new ones...
My pen is ready and of course there are many "true adventures I could share".

@groby57 Once again, welcome back. I always enjoy your writing and look forward to "A closer look"!

@groby57 looking forward to pearls of wisdom in the very near future