U.S. social security direct-deposit transfers to Cambodia

Can anyone recommend a Cambodian bank that deals with U.S. Soc. Sec.  Int'l Direct-Deposit (IDD) payments to retirees?

I am relocating to Cambodia and need to arrange an special account for this purpose.

Thanks.

Lanna Prince

Hello.

My best guess is that it would be better to ask the US Social Security Department what the conditions are for a Cambodian bank to receive those deposits in your name.

I guess they have a list of conditions and they even might have recommendations of which banks are approved.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia Expert
Expat.com team

Hello Joe Khmer:

I've been dealing with the SSA's FBU Manila office since last November, and they haven't been too helpful. SSA never provides guidance on what the banks' requirements are, and won't even give us a list of banks with which the SSA deals ("they officially don't want to be seen showing preference").

I've tried to get that list re: Vietnam as well as Cambodia--to no avail.

I contacted nine Cambo banks earlier today concerning SSA's IDD remittances and will share with this forum the results, when I get them.

Lanna Prince

Hi. I don't do this but did you check with HSBC? I have seen some references online to HSBC taking international direct deposits.

mpmilestogo wrote:

Hi. I don't do this but did you check with HSBC? I have seen some references online to HSBC taking international direct deposits.

I will do so.

Thanks MPmiles to go.

JoeKhmer:

You might be interested to know I emailed nine Cambo banks asking them whether they handled SSA IDD accounts for American retirees, and ONLY ONE even bothered to answer.

It was Campu bank (Cambodian Public Bank).

LannaPrince

I could have told you that email in Cambodia is next to nothing,  most companies never answer,  it's not in their list of communication.

Calling or visiting is the only way to find out.

But I'm glad you had one answer at least.

Joe