Need advise

Hello everyone,
I have been looking for an apartment for the last two weeks. I found some for less than 1,400,000. The issue is that they all required fiador, which I obviously do not have. There's one owner who is interested I rent his place. The price listed on Financaraiz is 1,000,000 for 58m^2, it is a 2 bedrooms apartment in the north of Barranquilla. Since I don't have the required documents to take the place with Financaraiz, which is the real estate company handling his apartment. The owner told me two days ago he can rent me the place for 1,700,000. I rejected the offer since the place is small for the price. I saw many listings, especially 3 bedrooms for less that price in the north also. I asked him if he could do 1,300,000 which he rejected immediately. He said he will let it go for 1,500,000 administration and utilities included. Can you please advise if this is a good price for a 2 bedrooms apartment in the north of Barranquilla?  I feel like since he knows I'm a gringo, he wants to overcharge me. He would've let it go for 1,000,000 if I could give the required documents to Financaraiz.

58m2 is very small for a two bedroom apartment, but its rental value depends a lot on the exact location.

If Financaraiz has it listed for $1,000,000 then they are likely expecting to rent it for quite a bit less.

You may be able to avoid the Fiador if you offer the owner to put down several months rent in advance.

advice

Thank you for your quick reply. The location is safe and modern. The building has a pool and gym. Do you think 500,000 is too much for administration and utilities?

@sunsetsteve I thought I typed Advice instead of “Advise” my bad.

What's "too much" is just an opinion, for some people it may be too much and for others too little.

Certainly there are apartments in Barranquilla for less, and of course location is usually the biggest determining factor.

Have you looked at Locanto, where many listings are by owners and not agencies, and you may be able to rent without a fiador:

https://barranquilla.locanto.com.co/Apa … iendo/301/

The standard advice:  Walk around "boots on the ground" looking for signs in the windows and call the number shown:  Se Arrienda, Se Alquila, Apartamento en Alquiler, etc.  Go to the doorman/security guard of apartment buildings you'd like to live in and offer 100,000 COP if they let you know about an apartment for rent and you end up getting it.  And you can contact companies that act as fiadores for a fee, doing an internet search for
barranquilla compania fiador

@OsageArcher I have searched on Locanto. Many listings there are directed by agencies. I have found one owner who's willing to rent it without going through hell (agencies) but he went from $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 real quick. I just wanted to know what's the maximum people usually pay for utilities bills in Barranquilla.

$500,000 does sound like a lot for administration and utilities, but it again depends on the services offered. You will be paying for doorkeepers, communal lighting, cleaning and insurances.
If that includes full broad-band internet, cable TV and air-conditioning, then it is a better deal.

Give me a call and I will help u out on how to overcome the problem easily.   314-XXX ......I am also on WhatsApp.

I have never had to provide a fiador and I have always gotten the unit I wanted.  You have to know what to say and what to offer.....all of these agents that want 500K or more to rent are JOKERS..No need to do that to get the unit!

Jaime

Moderated by Julien 5 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi awanyc

I ask my Colombian friends to help. My gf found the condo we are in right now. 3 bedroom 900 sq feet condo in Armenia for 123 dollars a month. Just a handshake. Been there 7 months now and it's great.

@CanadaDoug Wow. You are so lucky. Unfortunately, I don't have many friends here in Barranquilla. I wish it was that easy for me.

hi awancy.

OsageArcher is correct about going for a walk and keeping your eyes out for rental signs. You can see them in the commercial areas too front of restaurants and shops.

Perhaps my situation here is a little different than yours. I am an expat and don't have to work so can carry on at a leisurely pace. I have a rule as a foreigner in Colombia that helps me a great deal. it's called "I choose".  Most times I am the one to initiate the communications. When I am approached first by a stranger I usually don't engage. This personal policy will decrease your odds of getting targeted by probably 90 percent. I don't even speak Spanish and my many friends in Latin America have made things pretty easy for me.

When I first arrive in a new area I attempt to find a local who speaks english. The local centro parques or local public mercados mayoristas are great areas ....for me. I offer a new aquaintence a little money for translating and I go from there. That started from the first day I arrived in Costa Rica over 2 years ago and I have "been lucky" ever since.

You said in your initial post that you were looking at an apartment for 1,400,000 pesos a month. I am talking about 20,000 pesos for a day the local can look for those signs. My amigo here of over a year now initially found me a brand new 3 bedroom apartment for 500,000 a month. Great start in Armenia. Near Centro.

You said "I wish it was that easy for me." I don't know your situation. Younger or older. Reserved or outgoing. Working or not working. Firstly I came to Latin America because i was bored in Canada and needed a change. Don't get me wrong..Canada was great.  i am experienced enough to know the greatest change... and fun... would be tapping into the knowledge and experience of the people who live here. The sites here are awesome too but that is secondary to me. Friends are first. Expats are great to hang out with too but the locals know more. So in order to tap in you can't be shy. Be bold but use the "I choose" rule and a lot of good things might show up. Consider Colombians are really great people because they are but be careful.

Actually awancy I have found my lack of spanish a nice asset. An excuse to have a Tinto over a cell phone google translation talk with a new aquaintance. In my experience, we all feel shyness but I set it to the side. You are in a new country, you might miss a lot of good things if you let shyness and fear keep you isolated.

If you ever travel this way I will probably still be on this forum. We can meet and compare notes over a Tinto.

I feel like they are taking advantage of you. The fact that you are a “gringo” is the reason.  500,000 is way to much for administración. If you want to find the real pricing/costs you should speak to the administration office directly. Tell them you are interested in “buying” an apartment in the building and would like to know how much the administration costs are. It's unfortunate they take advantage of Americans. I am American but I “fit in” physically and my wife is from here. Been lucky not to get scammed, that is, until I open my mouth. They hear my gringo accent and the prices and situations suddenly change.  So I can definitely tell you they love to take advantage of us. Not everyone, but most. Hope this info helped.

If you are still in Armenia, perhaps we can meet there over a coffee or lunch. What the heck is a Tinto? It seems your time is your own and I'm retired so I'm pretty much able to meet on your terms.

It'd be nice to get your perspective about life in Armenia.

Regards

CaliRay wrote:

If you are still in Armenia, perhaps we can meet there over a coffee or lunch. What the heck is a Tinto?

In Colombia, tinto usually means black coffee (no cream).

In some cases in South America, the word means 'red wine'.

cccmedia

Thank you.

I am looking for a single or couple that would like to share a farm with luxuries.......Must be willing to stay for 2 years minimum.  Farm would be within 2 hours of Medellin. Let me know.  I am open to any area around Medellin.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed. Please register your services in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct