True Cost of Living in Toulouse

Hello,

We are seriously considering relocating to Toulouse with our 3 and 6 year old children. We cannot find accurate up to date information on line. We are American and would like to live were we could see some other Americans. Only because we are learning French. We wish to immerse the childen and ourselves into the French was of life..

My husband and I are tired with the pace here and seriously need a change!!! But do not want to jump in and be broke trying...we could move to California for that!!

I got that blog thank you, but the information was old, from the begining of 2010 and she lives in a rural setting. So for me it really was not relevant. But a good base line from which to see how much things can cost and ways of cutting costs.

We would like to live without a car and rely on public transit. Walk to markets,shops, eateries, etc. That is our fantasy. I still am not sure if we could afford that in Toulouse,France.
Like I mentioned we have a 3 and 6 year old .

Any information would be helpful,
Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hello
Anyone working for Airbus Toulouse ?
With any helpful info to share, as we are considering it , currently live near Marbella, Malaga, Spain .. any info would be so helpful, would want ideally a 4 bed house, bit of land, not too remoter though... Not too far from airbus site, ?? Thanks in advance.. jaynee

Hi Boston Mama,

I'm originally from Los Angeles, but have been living in Europe for the past five years. I dont think you can save much on housing prices, definetly not food prices, compared to California, but transportation, education and medical costs can definetly be cut.

Here's what I can come up with off the top of my head:

Cars - you can definetly live without one in Toulouse, though alot of people have one for weekend breaks, as going to lakes and hiking in the area is not easy without one. Alot of families may have only one car for this though, compared to the average 2 American need, so that is a savings. A monthly metro pass costs in Toulouse 40 odd euros.

School and medical care - you can save costs here compared to the US. Saving up for college is not really necessary here! The international school in Colomiers isn't free, though I think regular French high schools outrank it.

Housing - Really depends what you are looking for and what concessions you are willing to make. The French base alot on price per sq meter. Prices in less desirable, though not rough, neighborhoods with metro access start at 2000E/sq m and for really desirable areas can run upto 5000E/ sq m in Toulouse centre. Its difficult to find spaces over 120 sq m in the center, though Europeans can fit 4 bedrooms in that amount of space!

Food - I find food at supermarkets and restaurants quite expensive compared to the States and England, but the quality is much better.

Entertainment - Movies run about 10euro a pop.

Hi Calinali
That info was useful thanks, we would be looking at renting, not buying, we have a home in Spain, we have LHD cars too, so buying cars not on the agenda, we would just re register them to F (France) .. instead of E (Espana / spain) we have Carrefour supermarkets here in spain, so use to that and like that one, dont have small children, as grown up now, thanks again..