Health Insurance for cancer survivor - in remission

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me.  We moved to Spain in December 2018 to live here full time, we have just started our residencia process and have to supply proof of healthcare as I am sure you all know.

However we my husband was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago and now thankfully is in remission.  We have cover in the UK for his ongoing checks and tests so are happy to have an insurance without pre-existing conditions but are finding it difficult to find a company that will insure him.

Can anyone help or have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Julie

It maybe that your husband has a DWP benefit as being unable to work.  If that is the case then he would probably be eligible for an S1. 

I had a disability pension when I came to spain aged 47.  I got free cover on  an S1, as of is now called.

Alternatively spain say they will provide free cover for all who live in spain, even illegally, if they cannot get other cover

I suggest you research that possibility. 

I believe you would need to register with the Spanish social security and then prove you do not have any health cover

Good luck and please keep us informed

Thank you so much for your quick reply and advice.  He does not have anything from the DWP as he chose to retire early (56) of his own free will which was before we knew he had cancer.

We will research how to register with social services and let you know how we get on.

Thanks again
Julie

I have been thinking about your problem

If you cannot get free cover in spain, which it appears everyone living in spain who does not have medical cover,  is entitled to free,  them maybe you could consider becoming self employed ‘autonomo'     

For the first year it appears the social security payment is 50€ per month.   That I understand would entitle you and your dependant spouse to free medical cover

No doubt, along with many other ex-pats, my partner and I are concerned about healthcare after Brexit.

The following appeared on the BBC web page and may be of interest. A no-deal Brexit would affect different groups of UK citizens in Spain differently, according to the latest government advice.

If you are working in Spain and paying social security contributions to Spain, you would still be able to access state-funded healthcare.

If you are a pensioner it is not completely clear what the situation will be for you if there is no deal, although you may turn out to be eligible under Spain's universal healthcare law.

The Spanish government says: "Contingency measures are planned to guarantee healthcare provision for British citizens in Spain starting on the date of the UK's withdrawal from the European Union if there is no agreement."

There was also an article suggesting that retirees (with S1) who had been resident over 5 years may be able to subscribe to the Spanish Government Healthcare scheme for around €50 a month, entitling them to full healthcare cover including pre-existing conditions. Similarly, for those having lived in Spain for 12 months or more, it was suggested the cost could be in the region of €155 a month.

I accept that the above is speculative.

Bee.

Unfortunately as nothing has been agreed no one knows what will happen.   Even the BBC  can only be guessing, therefore, we will need to wait and see

Spain has said everyone resident in spain who does not have medical cover is eligible to free cover provided by spain.   Brexit, EU national or not, even legally here or not, does not affect that

Of course if one works in spain obviously they are regulated by Spanish law