New members of the Ireland forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ireland forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ireland if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi all! Anyone new to Dublin with any concerns please drop me a line, especially if you need a concert buddie  :D:heart:

Hello everyone,

My name is Wendy and I am moving to Ireland on the 1st May. 
I am in my early 50's so this is a big step but looking forward to it.

My son, daughter in law and grandchild immigrated in December.

I have my Irish Passport and Citizenship so shouldn't  have a problem getting my PPS number.  I believe my husband can also come over and apply for a work permit.  Does anyone know what is the maximum age to apply for a work permit?

I also need to know what is required to sponsor my step son to come to Ireland with us?  He has a degree in Business and is a SEO.

Any suggestions on where to apply for jobs for all of us.

I am well versed in may areas:  Training, Learning & Development, Coordination, Event Planning, computerised bookkeeping and general office duties

We will be living in County Laois.

Many thanks

Hie guys,,

I'm a newbie looking forward to move to Ireland as soon as i get a job, i am a professional driver both heavy duty trucks and small cars also interested in working as a Chauffeur. If anyone has a connection or knows of a job opening please feel free to contact me.

Regards
Enock

Hi

I am a Newbie. Here researching how to move to this beautiful country.

Avalyn wrote:

Hi

I am a Newbie. Here researching how to move to this beautiful country.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of the page is our Discover section; if you mouse over that, you'll get a drop-down menu from which you can choose our Ireland Guide.

Further, at the top of the Forum page is a sticky post regarding "IRELAND - WORK PERMITS"; I strongly recommend you read that.

Once you've read our Guide and the Work Permits post, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Everyone

I am a new here I am a South African I am 25 years looking for a way to move to Ireland 🇮🇪 I would, for an employers in Ireland to consider me for any type of job.

Thanks for your time, hope you find it.

Hi everyone and welcome to Expat.Com

@ LuxoloSk, please read the articles of the Living in Ireland guide to gather as much information as possible.

All the best,
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hi everyone and welcome to Expat.Com

@ LuxoloSk, please read the articles of the Living in Ireland guide to gather as much information as possible.

All the best,
Bhavna

Just to add I would also read Cynics post #6.

Good luck

Hi, newbie here, intending to move to Ireland.

Hi there

We will be moving to Ireland in about 3 months!

Who can I reach out to for more info on what to do after landing?

To be honest, your post hasn't told us much and looking through your Forum history, this is not your first attempt into the Expat world.

In the top left-hand corner of this page is a link to our Discover section, if you mouse over that, you'll get access to our Ireland guide; read that first.

Further - at the top of the Irish Forum page is a post titled "IRELAND - WORK PERMITS".

To answer your specific question; this link will take you to the Irish government website with advice on visas and work permits and how to apply.

Once you've read the links, if you have any further questions, please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi there,

I'm a 36-year-old South African married to an Irish citizen (she obtained her citizenship via her mother who was born in Waterford) for 8 years now. We have 2 young kids, both of whom have Foreign Birth Registration applications currently in progress. We hope to receive their FBR certificates early in 2020 to arrange their Irish passports.

We are planning to emigrate from South Africa to Ireland in late 2020 or early 2021. We should have sufficient capital (more than the average annual salary in Ireland) when entering the country, so not sure if this helps with the entry into Ireland)

I have 14 years working experience in the financial services industry and 8 of which have been in managerial roles. I know that due to Brexit, many UK financial services companies have relocated to Dublin so surely there will be a need for skilled, experienced financial services professionals?

My wife is a primary school teacher with 9 years of experience. She worked in the UK before that for 2 years in recruitment.

Both my wife and I hold undergraduate degrees and postgraduate degrees from the University of Cape Town.

Question:

I've been researching various websites and as far as I understand I would need to apply for a spousal visa/work permit which should be straight forward as I'm A). married to an Irish citizen and B). parent to Irish citizens.

Is the above statement correct?

Could I apply for this visa/work permit before leaving South Africa?

I know that as a South African, I could stay Visa free for 90 days, but would need to visit the local INIS office to get the permits etc but would prefer to do these months before we leave.

Could I apply for the visa/work permit when we come over to Ireland (2-week visit) next April 2020? Is there a specified duration where you have to be in the country for the visa/work permit to remain valid.

When applying for job vacancies a month or so before we leave, what would I tell the company? I'm married to an Irish citizen and my children are also citizens of Ireland.

Would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks

NIELK83 wrote:

Hi there,

I'm a 36-year-old South African married to an Irish citizen (she obtained her citizenship via her mother who was born in Waterford) for 8 years now. We have 2 young kids, both of whom have Foreign Birth Registration applications currently in progress. We hope to receive their FBR certificates early in 2020 to arrange their Irish passports.

We are planning to emigrate from South Africa to Ireland in late 2020 or early 2021. We should have sufficient capital (more than the average annual salary in Ireland) when entering the country, so not sure if this helps with the entry into Ireland)

I have 14 years working experience in the financial services industry and 8 of which have been in managerial roles. I know that due to Brexit, many UK financial services companies have relocated to Dublin so surely there will be a need for skilled, experienced financial services professionals?

My wife is a primary school teacher with 9 years of experience. She worked in the UK before that for 2 years in recruitment.

Both my wife and I hold undergraduate degrees and postgraduate degrees from the University of Cape Town.

Question:

I've been researching various websites and as far as I understand I would need to apply for a spousal visa/work permit which should be straight forward as I'm A). married to an Irish citizen and B). parent to Irish citizens.

Is the above statement correct?

Could I apply for this visa/work permit before leaving South Africa?

I know that as a South African, I could stay Visa free for 90 days, but would need to visit the local INIS office to get the permits etc but would prefer to do these months before we leave.

Could I apply for the visa/work permit when we come over to Ireland (2-week visit) next April 2020? Is there a specified duration where you have to be in the country for the visa/work permit to remain valid.

When applying for job vacancies a month or so before we leave, what would I tell the company? I'm married to an Irish citizen and my children are also citizens of Ireland.

Would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Based on what you've said, you seem to have it squared away; you will need a "Stamp 4 immigration permission"; these are the visas awarded to the spouse of Irish citizens.

A few points from me to try and answer your questions:

You can't apply for a " visa/work permit before leaving South Africa"

No, you can't apply while a short-term visitor.

Unless you have a very unique skill-set that is in great demand, long-distance job hunting through agencies is problematic everywhere; the moment they realise you can't start work tomorrow, they're not interested.  To be honest, the last thing you want while moving your family half-way across the world is packing your suit and tie so you can start work on day 1; from what you've said you will have some money behind you, so leave that stress until you're all here and settled in.

Jobs - the most important thing is that if you or your wife are working in any regulated profession, that your qualifications are recognised in Ireland; so start working on that straight away because you can do that from South Africa; reach out to the Professional bodies for your professions now and start asking questions.  Use LinkedIn to reach out to your professional peers and ask them for advice/help.

Use any family you may still have left in Ireland; it's the kind of place where it's not what you know, but who you know that always helps you out.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi There All

I live in South Africa and am looking for an opportunity to relocate to Ireland. I have been to Ireland and love it there.

I am a corporate lawyer working for a Bank. I am not sure on which recruitment agency to use to start my job search.

Will someone please assist

Devan

legally.devan wrote:

Hi There All

I live in South Africa and am looking for an opportunity to relocate to Ireland. I have been to Ireland and love it there.

I am a corporate lawyer working for a Bank. I am not sure on which recruitment agency to use to start my job search.

Will someone please assist

Devan

The Irish government have recently updated their Immigration policy in regards to non-EU citizens.

At the top of the page is a Post entitled "IRELAND - WORK PERMITS"; my advice is to read that and see if you can qualify for a work permit, if not, then I suspect you may have problems in emigrating to Ireland.  One path to consider is whether you have any EU ancestry that would allow you to obtain an EU passport.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I am considering moving to Ireland and am interested in Property Management, Project Management in Construction/Building sector. I am a 33 Year old single male, just coming off a three year experience of developing business into the HRM area of Atlantic Canada. I have visited Ireland before and am excited to entertain going back and moving there for a few years after stabilizing my real estate investments in Halifax, Canada.

I am only now researching options for work permits. I would fall under the "General Work Permit" title, or at least I assume so. I have just begun applying for work and am starting the process of researching the procedures for acquiring a Visa and what this process would look like after finding a job and accommodations. I have many questions and am open to any advice for a rookie in the expat game such as myself.

Hello everyone and welcome to Expat.Com

@ Arsenault7, we hope that you will be able to find all the relevant information needed so that you have a smooth move.

Feel free to open your own threads by pending down any specific query you might have. Member will surely guide you.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Hi everyone
Am a newbie planing to relocate to ireland.
Am an optometrist from Nigeria, recently I applied to CORU for recognition of my professional qualification to enable  me practice in ireland. After series of evaluation the regulatory body  requested that i undergo through a period of Adaptation (POA) in ireland for a few months to be fully qualified to practice in ireland. And am finding it difficult to  get a job offer for the POA. Pls can anyone help with a reliable recruiting agency. Secondly i need an advice on the best city to live in ireland considering that i plan to relocate with my family, cost of living,  job opportunities etc.  Ur kind reply will help alot. Thanks.

Udemba wrote:

Hi everyone
Am a newbie planing to relocate to ireland.
Am an optometrist from Nigeria, recently I applied to CORU for recognition of my professional qualification to enable  me practice in ireland. After series of evaluation the regulatory body  requested that i undergo through a period of Adaptation (POA) in ireland for a few months to be fully qualified to practice in ireland. And am finding it difficult to  get a job offer for the POA. Pls can anyone help with a reliable recruiting agency. Secondly i need an advice on the best city to live in ireland considering that i plan to relocate with my family, cost of living,  job opportunities etc.  Ur kind reply will help alot. Thanks.

As a Nigerian citizen, you will need a visa and to do the following:

You must apply for and receive immigration permission to work in Ireland before you apply for a visa.  At the top of this Ireland forum, is a thread titled "IRELAND - WORK PERMITS", I suggest you read that first

You must have a job offer or employment contract to apply. Permission will only be granted for work that is highly skilled or where there is a skill shortage in Ireland.

You will not be allowed to work in Ireland if you do not get immigration permission.

I suggest you follow this link to the Irish Government website that describes the process to be followed.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi, I am a newbie, an optometrist from Nigeria and I am looking for a supervisor for a place of adaptation as required by CORU. Please help me with any agent thant can assist me with that or how I can go about it

Also, has any optometrist written the optical board exam(CORU) and passed please what is the nature of the exam

Hi,  :cheers:  newbie here. currently living in the United Arab Emirates and planning to move to Ireland.
I would love to know more details regarding the procedures.

Thanks  ;)

Hi everyone

My name is Nqabisa  aka as Bisa from South africa  cape town .I am a new bee in the group and i would love to move ans work in Ireland. Am a single parent to two girls and am a qualified beauty therapist and massage therapist with international qualification I'm currently working in one of exclusive and luxurious five star hotel as a senior therapist. I would really love to move to the Ireland for the brighter future for my girls and am a hard worker and i can work in hospitality as well. My thing is i would like to know how do i start immigrating with my girls to Ireland anyone will to take me step by step please HELP!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

NQABISA(MPUPA) wrote:

Hi everyone

My name is Nqabisa  aka as Bisa from South africa  cape town .I am a new bee in the group and i would love to move ans work in Ireland. Am a single parent to two girls and am a qualified beauty therapist and massage therapist with international qualification I'm currently working in one of exclusive and luxurious five star hotel as a senior therapist. I would really love to move to the Ireland for the brighter future for my girls and am a hard worker and i can work in hospitality as well. My thing is i would like to know how do i start immigrating with my girls to Ireland anyone will to take me step by step please HELP!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Hi Bisa.

At the top of this page is a link to our Discover section; if you mouse over that, you'll get a drop-down menu which includes a link to our Ireland Guide.

Once you've read our Guide, I suggest you read the "IRELAND - WORK PERMITS" thread at the top of this Forum; then, if you have any further specific questions, then please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=880447

Thanks!

Closed