Visa requirements

Hi, I travel regularly to Ukraine on a British passport with different amounts of stay. I understand the maximum stay is 90 days. Am I right in saying it is 90 days IN a 6 month period and how is the period calculated especially if the period crosses from one year into another? What happens if you overstay? TY

It is 90 days within a 180 day period. The date of entry or exit is rolling so you need to check it if you intend to stay for a long period. If you overstay you will be taken from passport control in Kiev and told to pay a fine before you can travel out of the country. Your passport will be held until you return with the receipt from the bank to say you have paid the fine. If in doubt, contact the Ukrainian authorities in the city you have travelled to or the Ukrainian Embassy in you own country. Believe me, it is not a good idea to overstay. I have done it and had to stay away for 90 days until I could return

Hi Tony,
I am British and I also did exactly the same thing. I read the UK government website and *thought* I understood everything. No...

So, if you are doing the same as me, you need to be careful. I used to come and go for different periods. I kept a spreadsheet to calculate my days and the rolling 180 day period. But, it doesn't work exactly like that.

Basically, once you reach 90 days, you cannot return for 90 days. A simple example is this...

Visit 30 days
Home 30 days
Visit 30 days
Home 30 days
Visit 30 days
Home 30 days

By this stage you have visited for 90 days in 180 days. If it were rolling 180 days, you should be able to come back. No. Once you have completed the 3rd visit, you have reached the 90 day limit and have to stay home for 90 days. This was confirmed to me last year when I was stopped at Odessa airport and sent back home again!

I also rolled between one year and the next, and it is all taken into consideration.

There is nowhere that actually makes it as clear as this, but believe me this is the case. There are people who have got away with it, because they have flown into airports without computerised immigration systems. But, most of the major airports are connected now and you won't get away with it.

I wouldn't recommend overstaying as you will need to pay a fine and it could affect your ability to get a visa or residency permit in the future (if you want one). These are questions that are asked during the application process.

I hope this helps...

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated ))

Hi Simon, thank you for the helpful advice. Regards, Tony

Hello again Simon,
Just a quick thought about the 90 day calculation.
I was last in Ukraine as from 14 August 2018.
I stayed until October 3.
I calculate this as 51 days.
No other visits in 2018.
I then returned to Ukraine on January 3 2019.
I departed January 29.
I calculate this as 27 days.
Total 78 days.
So by my calculations I have 12 days remaining till February 14?
I calculate the 180 day period as from August 14 till February 14. Is this correct?
So, if I do not return before February 14, will I lose this 12 day allowance or what happens to it?
Also am I right in saying my next legal return date would be 90 days as from February 14, approx May 14? Somewhat confusing to say the least.
Any ideas why this 90 days in 180 days was introduced?
Thanks for your time.
Regards, Tony

Hi there
I know you wrote to simon, however you are incorrect in that you only have 24 days left until the 3rd April. After the third of April you will have 51 days. If you waited till 29th July you will have the full 90 days. Its complicated to say the least. Hope this helps more than confusing you.

martin

The 90 days in 180 is a bilateral agreement with a lot of country's that are visa free. A citizen from Ukraine can go to the EU 90 in 180 days ie the same. The 180 days starts at the end of your stay. so lets say all months are 30 days long. you arrive in Ukraine 1st January stay 90 days and leave end of march. your next full entitlement will not start till 1st October. However you could take 30 days holiday on the 1st July. As 180days will have passed for the month of January. On the end of  July you could take 60 days after the end of August, and 90 days 1st October.

Hello Martin,
Thanks for the reply. I guess you know Simon.
I am more confused now as in my letter I did not mention April 3 or 29 July.....maybe its me? Could you read my letter again just to confirm. Many thanks. Tony

HI Tony
Yes this subject is hard. easy way to work it is every day you spend here, takes 180 days before you can use it again. The calculation should start on day one. the clock starts ticking. if you stayed 90 days. you must stay away for 90 days. to permit the clock to reset. see below. I know it says schengan but its the same.
Interpretation 1: Every time you enter Schengen, a 180-day frame is created within which you cannot spend more than 90 days in the area. Regardless of how many times you enter and leave the area, the 180-day clock is ticking. On the 181st day, the clock is reset and you are in a new 180 day calendar.
Example: You enter Schengen on day 1, spend 60 days, then leave Schengen for 90 days. On day 150 you return to Schengen and spend another 30 days there. By the end of these 30 days, since 180 days are up since you first entered Schengen, the clock is reset: now you can stay for an another 90 days. That is, by day 180 you get a "clean slate", the clock is reset.

Interpretation 2: You cannot ever be in Schengen for more than 90 days over any 180 day period, regardless of how many times you've entered and left the area. If in the past 180 days you've been over 90 days in Schengen, you break the rule.
Example: As above, you enter Schengen on day 1, stay for 60 days. Then you leave Schengen but return on day 150. You stay another 30 days. At the end of those 30 days you must leave, since you've been 90 days over the 180 day period AND the next day you would still be at 90 days within 180 days.

regards

martin

This is the website where you can calculate the duration of staying in Ukraine.
https://dmsu.gov.ua/en-home/duration-of … ation.html

Hope this helps !!

Dev

Thank you to everyone's help and assistance :)