Tankless Water Heaters

Save electricity?

It's really high consumption as far as i know. It's definitely the thing that consumes the most electricity in my apartment

One of the issues I have found with my on demand heaters - if the water coming in has any debris or dirt you will need to clean out the intake of the water heater every so often.  I live in an apt tower and have to do it every 3 months.

I have two tankless propane water heaters. The only issues are clogging inlet and if your water pressure varies a lot, between the water pump cycles, the heater may turn off. It can be a little tricky to get everything adjusted properly so the water is the correct temperature regardless of the pump cycling. Smell can be from a failing electric element in the heater.

I love mine and wouldnt do without it.

I get them in the states wholesale and bring in my luggage... you can also get very small ones just for a shower;... or sink.... but mine is for the whole house... overkill?? yes... but no electricty or gas running all day to keep it hot either!!!

if anyone wants one let me know.. I can recommend and even get them at discount for you...  can bring it to Santo Domingo or shipping with NO Duty .;. you will need to set up your own shipping account

You must pay for my shipping to Miami and your account shipper only charges for weight.. and again.;.. NO DUTY... when less than 250.00..  mine was 250 but retailed for over 850!

have a great day to all and Prosperos 2022

An inline filter is a must if you have trash or stuff in your incoming water,  Screw on filters are very cheap and easy to change out the canister.  Put date changed on the new canister, and you are golden.  Prevents problems and extends the life of the unit.

We have stayed in three rental villas so far, each with on-demand water heaters. None of them have worked. We either get scalding hot water or freezing cold. NO in between. I suspect it is a water pressure and/or gas pressure issue, or the plumbing is not installed properly. We have tried adjusting them countless times.
We had a Rinnai on-demand heater in the States for years and it worked flawlessly. Not sure how people get them to reliably work here.

I'll be looking for gas run tankless water heaters.....seems a good way to go.....

Good morning to all,
Does anyone know a good real estate agent to search for condos in santo domingo?
Thanks

Have a great day friends

Shiptodr.com

That's a Cdn shipper....

planner wrote:

One of the issues I have found with my on demand heaters - if the water coming in has any debris or dirt you will need to clean out the intake of the water heater every so often.  I live in an apt tower and have to do it every 3 months.

Is the one in your apt electric or gas?

Simple, just install an inline filter before the inlet water gets to unit.  Change filter as required.

A filter sounds like a good solution but I guess this requires plumbing changes, abit more cost if you already have one installed.  Hopefully it also removes the saline in the water, so the unit is not damaged that way either.

Yes. some plumbing has to be done.  It won't jump in the line by itself?  Trash in the line seems to be the problem, so lets address that.  There are other extreme filters to get rid of salt, chemicals, and other stuff, but they are very expensive.  A simple filter is a easy fix for most trash.

My current  system is electric.   Its just me so not a huge amount of use of the hot water.

Yes I looked into it  , tankless water heaters , and found that it would be better to buy one here at home depo or harbor fright and just put in a large suitcase and bring it with you ,some people know about them but I couldn't find any in the stores but this is what I'm going to do and I need four (4)..good luck

Yes I have a  very good lady that can help you guys out. 
I bough a house in La Romana
If you still need help. ***
and I will send you all her info

Sincerely

Rich

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Rich you cannot post personal contact info on an open forum.  You need to use the private message tool.  Thanks

@DominicanadaMike , hi, I'm really interested in solar power for my house and a solar hot water heater! I live in Dominicus / Bayahibe area and the electric  bills are out of control! Not sure where to start looking at a solar investment. Any specific brand you'd recommend ? And  do you have a phone number for a company I could contact??.

Hi Junedr1958

Firstly, if you decide to go solar for the whole house, then probably you can go with an electric hot water heater.  You should first check with the local electric company there and find out if they will allow you to install a solar system.  They may not.  Contact an electrical company in your area and then ask them about solar installations.  If you are not sure how to do that you can ask the electric company for a referral or go to one of the electrical supply outlets in the area (most likely La Romana) and ask them for some referrals.  Companies in the DR change all of the time, so you will want to find someone current, preferably with a recommendation.  Try to go with a big company name.  You will pay more but the job will be done correctly and you will get some guarantee.  These small electricians are not the answer.  They will take your money and you may end up with nothing...

Good luck.
Living in the US, I have installed and used the on-demand electric water heaters for years.  It is totally the way to go, without heating many gallons of water 24/7.  Installation usually requires a 220 volt electric line, with new breakers, some new piping, and probably a filter is a good idea.  I have found the Eltron-Steibel as the best brand, and have used several.  No electric usage until you turn on the hot water, and then still minimal, and no running out of hot water.  Whole house unit is less than $1,000 USD.
But.... There is a but here. You must have adequate water pressure for it to work! 

I have installed on demand whole house electric on demand water heaters for under US 500!
For 13yrs, I have had nothing but these tankless heaters..... all still working !

Yes, they have a filter....but all my incoming water is filtered too

As I recall... about 10,000 pesos each plus installation
Aren't they consuming way more electricity then the one with a tank?

I have a brand new tankless one in my apartment and I feel the usage is much higher
Nope. I find it much lower.
I do not know much about consumption and electricity in general.

One time I had a very high electricity bill and electrician came, played in the breaker box, when he connected the light meter the A/C were around 3 or 4

When I turned the tankless water heater on and open hot water it went up to 20-22.. is that normal?
Mine are propane fired.....not electric
These electric tankless run on heaters as the water is flowing through only when used.  Other than when in use it may just be a very small draw with a light indicator.  Very efficient.  Always depends on your usage.  Like anything else there are cheap ones that may not last, and this is something that you don't want to change out every couple of years, so spring for the best.