DOMINICAN REPUBLIC FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT

Hi all,

In order to keep the forum clear, friendly and useful, we invite you to follow these guidelines. They have been made to help you in using the forum.

FIRST STEPS ON THE FORUM:

> Before writing, we invite you to have a look at the previous threads to make sure your topic wasn't already covered.

> When starting a new thread, select its title wisely: the clearer it is, the more answers you will receive.

> Ask one question at a time: it would be easier for the other members to answer. Of course, you can post other questions later.

> Do not forget to introduce yourself: it will help to give you a personalized answer and it will be much more pleasant.

> Please respect the topic categories: avoid going off-topic and feel free to create a new thread to talk about a new topic.

> Avoid posting personal details, such as your phone number, email address or Skype contact, on a public forum. The Expat.com team will remove these details for your safety.

> For any question related to the use of the website or for a technical problem, please use our contact form.

LANGUAGE:

For better understanding and interaction with the other members, we invite you to post your messages in English. If you want to post in French, we invite you to participate on the Dominican Republic French speaking forum; for your posts in Spanish, kindly use the Dominican Republic Hispanic forum, the Dominican Republic Italian speaking forum for your posts in Italian and the Dominican Republic Portuguese speaking forum  for your posts in Portuguese.

Make sure to write correctly and clearly on the forum so that everyone can understand: avoid cap locks and SMS language.

JOBS AND HOUSING SECTIONS:

If you want to post a job offer or if you are looking for a job, please post on the Dominican Republic Jobs section.

If you are looking for an accommodation or want to offer one, please go to the Dominican Republic Housing section.

ADVERTISING:

The forum is not aimed at helping you to promote your company and products. If your thread is of a commercial nature, please use the dedicated sections: we invite you to register in the Dominican Republic Business directory or to have a look at our Advertising page.

The forum can't be used to promote external groups or organizations. Should you want to organize gatherings/activities with the other members, kindly get in touch with us: we would be pleased to help you.

OPINIONS:

The entire concept of this forum is to promote the free exchange of information and ideas. Therefore, everyone has a fundamental right to form and express their own opinions, provided that they comply with the terms of use of the website. However, it is not acceptable to criticize or abuse another member in any way for simply expressing their opinion or making a personal observation. If you find the opinion expressed offensive you should not take matters into your own hands nor should you make any abusive comments: please use the Report button so that we manage the issue.
The Expat.com forum is dedicated to expat related matters. Topics related to politics or religion won't be accepted.

The moderation team reserves the right to intervene if necessary.

DATING:

Please keep in mind that Expat.com is not a dating or matchmaking service. Do not post forum topics either seeking or offering a romantic relationship.

ABUSIVE OR INAPPROPRIATE POSTINGS:

Any postings deemed to be abusive, offensive or obscene will be immediately removed. If you find a posting offensive or inappropriate please report it by clicking on the Report button which appears at the bottom right hand corner of the posting. To know more about our criteria, we invite you to have a look at our Terms and Conditions.

The forum code of conduct may be subject to changes. We invite you to check it regularly.

Thanks!  :D

Thanks.  Hope all read it :D:D:D:D

Bob K

thank you for the advice, I am just stating with this and basically never had the time to join other internet based forums .

This is a good reminder for all.  I hope that the understanding is that everyone follows the rule book and it is not expected of just a select few.  Hence, the position of a good moderator.  Posting of business names and phone numbers should be reserved to private messaging for all and not just some. Anyone engaged in discussion should follow these simple rules and then everyone will stay on track. Those in a position of authority should lead by example. This will breed good conduct. Doing what others are not allowed to will lead to further argumentative and general bad and rude behaviour, not to mention a degradation in members.

5 yrs old this thread ... and still cooking

I apparently broke a rule of posting "an unnecessary comment", and was censored for it.  So I hope none of us members ever do that again!

Colonel, whilst I am more than happy to view alternative opinions, I will certainly try to
abide by the terms and conditions of this forum including not promoting advice contrary to the laws of DR.

You have provoked negativity from several members, most recently yesterday you finally provoked me sufficiently to 'throw out my dummy'.

Your continued promotion of staying beyond a tourist visa stay illegally and passive encouragement of defiance of covid19 controls in DR is imo promoting illegal behaviour.

I dont condone that nor does the general conditions of use of this forum.

Lets get back to substance!

Nobody likes covid19 controls and others have taken advantage of lax immigration control, but quietly encouraging the continued non observance is not good for this country's future. I care about that.

The last thing this forum needs is the personnel vendettas and back bitting of other DR forums.

I think we are here to provide accurate, honest,current and legal advice to other expats.

I suspect no one has responded to your '5 reasons', because they have been posted by you to support your consistent encouragement to other expats to ignore the immigration laws of DR.

Your contrary views imo are welcome, but your posts that are contrary to current DR laws should recognize that fact along with your differing views.

I didnt 'encourage' anybody to to anything, but gave 5 valid reasons why some DO something. And I mentioned what I see local people doing around me, whether you like what they do or not.   You are idealistic, Im reality oriented.

Lennox: Whilst I do respect your valor and understand that this forum and others should bolster the laws of the DR, it also occurs to me that you have not yet experienced a situation where the laws of this country are completely non-existent.  I have, maybe The Colonel has too and let me tell you, there are NO laws and there is NO Justice in this country.  Only those pretending to stand for law and justice to make sure the system can extract every last peso from any non-Dominican that exists before they perish from an unusual accident.

In the end this is and always will be the wild wild west, but make no mistake, I am truly happy that this experience has not yet crossed your path and hope and wish that it doesn't.

That being said, I believe that we must try to bring this country up to a respectable standard and some international ways of behaviour and law but sadly it will take much more than a few expats and a forum or 2 to do that.

I also think that its our duty and obligation to reveal facts to new comers and not to sugar coat the truth and to do that we must not only have your wisdom and valorous comments but the opinions of others that have seen the true Dominican Republic.

Readers, adults...can decide for themselves just what to believe.

IMHO.

When opinions and "reality" bump up against the laws of the country and the rules of the forum your comments will be removed.

I am a realist.  I understand how things actually are.  I will NOT encourage or promote illegal behaviour. 

As an unpaid volunteer moderator I am expected to do this.   

As a guest in this country, I believe this is my responsibility. 

I have posted many many examples of reality.  I also post what is expected of us as expats. 

Above are the rules of this forum.  They are the same as the forums of all the other countries!  Many of you behave like this is unacceptable and you want your own rules!  Nope. Private site. When you signed up you accepted the rules. 

Don't like em????

You see the door over there?  Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out!

Absolutely it is our duty and obligation to reveal the facts to newcomers because after 16 years and more of shady governance, it appears rule of law is the guiding light of the new Abinider government and about time too.

What has gone before and up to now may change during the next several years.

"16 years of shady governance"?  Try talking to people that were here say...17, or 27 years ago.

Not a competition and no need to keep looking backwards.  Clearly this government has shown it's intent.

It's amazing isn't it?

There are those who are ALWAYS right when everyone else is ALWAYS wrong...

What a monumental waste of talent! 

Why not pick stocks and take a modest percentage of one's predictably vast winnings and donate to a worthy cause?

:)

Cheers all!

JR

Yes, can't change the past  and no sense trying to relive it. Press for the future and hope this government follows through on the many things the say they will do. It will benefit everyone.....in the long run.

I apologize to everyone off the members , at present I am learning how to navigate the site database , no harm intended to anyone .

We all understand no worries.   Making errors is normal.

Couldn't find another way to contact Mods.  Started getting solicitations recently from the "young lady seeking" crowd.  not from the DR, but all over.  most recent was from Gerda1997

Yes I had from some other "woman" for sex stuff - don't have name as I deleted right off.....

Good Posting : I received 2 of them , one looking to add me on her list. I thought of replying thinking of my wife as we are moving to D.R. and want her to have new friends. Later on I blocked this person , then I receive another saying moving from Switzerland to Germany selling some type of sexual something which I am not interested at all. I am married , do not cheat on my wife and very happy with my marriage . Just be careful with some of these solicitations. Our world is moving more to internet based communications and the crazy one's out in the world know of this. Good posting . Merry Christmas . Krumite

Thank you 2VP Soldier , it just re-confirms that maybe the site is just another target in cyberspace . Merry Christmas . Krumite

If you get  requests for  connecting dont just accept,  look to see who it is.  IF you get  private messages you can  report them as spam and then delete them! 

Thanks everyone.  This happens  sometimes. Just  report and delete.

Yes, I deleted both   Not surprised to see them, just haven't seen any for quite a bit.  Looks like they were the same as Keynote.

Is there a place on the site to report, or just here?

That I do not know , maybe asking Planner she may know. Is a bit crazy as we all are trying to seek a better life, communicate better with each other etc. Currently I am in Texas waiting on the closing of my house and relocating down there. I am new at this site and still learning to navigate it. Stay safe many blessing . krumite

Krumite -  honey every comment is not directed at you.  Its often to the thread topic as a whole

Tripp -  some of the other  countries are being hammered with spam right now. not sure what is going on. All you can do is report directly from the message,  just like on the thread messages there is a button says "report" click on that button.

Planner : yes I know is not directed at me, I had one of the member that went thru the thing I did and, I deleted one and blocked the other one. This member did not know where to report it ? I just gave them your Planner post. I am ok with everything and having a peaceful day and packing clothes to be there soon. If there are any activities down road it will be my pleasure to meet you all. I was just telling my wife that there area lot of great people in Dominican, it will be her first time there and to settled, but i know she will adjust and enjoy it. No stress here, and trust me I take no offense at all. Merry Christmas and many blessing . krumite

We do occasionally organize get togethers.  Of course, right now that is not happening.

StanR posted this on another thread.

Best follo..wed up here imo.

Greg it is people like you that make others leave this forum. I don't always agree with Planner or Lennox but I still respect there opinions. This is what you are missing is respect. If you use and contribute to this forum in a kind and respectful way you to can gain knowledge about DR.

Yes we don't always agree StanR and I don't always agree with 'planner'. We are what we are different anglophiles from different countries. 

But to her credit, this forum is a place where you can easily find information about DR without sifting through excesses of non relevant chitter chatter, argument and angst.

That is the reason I lost interest in DR1 which had become so opinionated, divisive and politicised with decreasing DR content and off thread most of the time with personal agendas between members and moderators.

It is hard not to have opinions and keep it out of your postings. I endeavour to post relevant bits of information from the media and also from my experiences of living 24/7/365 in DR. Where I have an opinion I will try to use 'imo'.

I over indulge in the covid19 thread but for the reason that not all expats read the daily news or follow the MoH bulletins and we should all be aware of the spread of this virus in this small country with limited hospitals suiatable for expats. I know Stan you hold a different opinion to me on curfew and lock downs, but DR is not alone in suffering the consequences of lax social distancing, and I think it is now clearly evident it has a population that cannot control itself from commmunity spread without government control.

Had it not been for Luis posting about ivermectin here I would not have taken much notice in this drug. But I did and didn't reach any firm conclusions until The Lancet article.  We didn't need to be drowned with daily news snippets from this and that medic around the world, and what we all await is relevant advice from approving authorities here in DR and the WHO. If you plan to self medicate with it that is your choice but please be aware of possible consequences to others. That thread is better suspended imo with any new information being posted via a PM to 'planner' to re-open - otherwise we get new threads.

Immigration and overstay will always be a contentious issue with so many expats here on a 'wing and a prayer' based upon the past. 'the colonel' was one of them. He had his opinions and that does not cause me concern. Immigration control in DR is still messy and if it wants to rid itself of the 'banana republic' tab it has to join the rest of the world and administer better it's laws imo. That applies to other issues such as driving, and change seems afoot on many fronts with the current government.

I try and remember this forum has become a good and readily discoverable source of information on DR and information. There are many threads in which I have no need or desire to post but there seems plenty of good dialogue and exchange of information between members and that is a good sign imo.

This forum is much less used than DR1, but imo there is more clearer information available on many issues.

Thank you Lennox. Well said.

Agreed Lennox! One of the things I value on this forum is the experienced expats that remain active and share their knowledge!