Do expats still want to stay in Kuala Lumpur and Penang?

Malaysia did investigate gene manipulation and may have carried out a small test. But it seems have since decided not to meddle with nature as full consequences are not fully appreciated.

Gravitas wrote:

The alternative to not fogging is sky high dengue fever cases and deaths with the reintroduction of Malaria to follow. Returning to the 'whiteman's grave' scenario which Malaysia historically had.

Guessing you are also anti-vax

I stated as a fact that fogging doesn't work on mosquitoes. If it doesn't work, then how can it help to protect against mosquito-transfered diseases?  :)

Think about it- mosquitoes are flying, right? Mosquitoes fly very fast and they are attracted by carbon dioxide we  exhale. Fogging with pesticides work only on killing a mosquito at the contact. New mosquitoes will fly immediately from other nearby areas. Also fogging doesn't kill the larvae. Another factor- insects get used to pesticides due to their short life span. Basically, FOGGING DOESN't WORK.

There are some measures can be taken to fight mosquitoes, but it is a longer story and it doesn't belong to this thread.

Gravitas wrote:

Guessing you are also anti-vax

- You are wrong in your guess. :) Though it is off the topic of this thread, I'll tell to you that I am a scientist and I respect scientific facts. 
Vaccines DO WORK and most importantly they improve immune system. It is very selfish for some parents not to vaccinate their children and therefore putting the whole population in their area at the risk of epidemic.
Those parents completely don't understand how epidemics starts. They actually advertise their position and therefore converting more gullible people not to vaccinate. As a critical number non-vaccinated people occurs, an epidemic happens.  My position is that it is a crime if a parent holds his child from being vaccinated. It is a crime against this child and against the society.

Death toll from just a flue is 291,000-646,000/year for the  world. A simple vaccine can save your life.

1openmind wrote:

I think they have some new tech out to make the females sterile.

These are genetically modified mosquitoes. If any bite a human, they will not pass on any genetically modified material.

According to the recent news, this is a  “sterile male” mutation where none of the male mosquitoes that will be released in the wild will be able to have offspring.

Nearly all will be male, but less than one percent might be female — which are the only members of the species that bite.

This method, if embraced, will dramatically reduce mosquito population.
The scientists planned to release the mosquitoes at the end of last year somewhere in Africa. We will see if the experiment will have any success.

However, there are still other methods to reduce mosquitoes in your area. Just remember that pesticides and fogging does not work on them. :)

On the topic of the horrendous air quality in KL-
We moved finally from KL to Ipoh, Perak, about two weeks ago. Though by the data from some air pollution tracking websites,  the air quality is a little better in Ipoh than in KL, we feel that the air quality is much better here.
Blue sky every day, no smell of toxins in the air. We live now north of Ipoh, in the country club surrounded by the hills. It is a really peaceful life here.

There are several options for a place to live we liked and one of them is a new development, Upper East. It is near a park and it has a very big and beautiful pool. But we found that the best option for us is Golf Vista at Meru Valley.
We didn't find that we are lacking anything we could find in KL.

Our big thanks to someone on this forum who brought an idea about Ipoh.