European living in Malaysia

Hello everybody,

I want to ask people, who comes from Europe and moved to Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur. My boyfriend is from Kuala Lumpur, he has family there and next year we want to try live there together. But for me its big change and Im very scared about life there. Can somebody tell me how is life there? I read something about that but I prefer real experience. Thank you for your answers.

Sarka

Hi depends a lot on if he is Malay Indian or Chinese and then on the family.

Also do you want to work? Very hard to just turn up and get a job. And sitting around gets boring.

He was born in Malaysia, so he is malay, religion Buddhism. He starting to make own bussines but it takes longer time, so I need to work somewhere. But I am a simply waitress. Do you work there? Thank you

Shermanka wrote:

He was born in Malaysia, so he is malay, religion Buddhism. He starting to make own bussines but it takes longer time, so I need to work somewhere. But I am a simply waitress. Do you work there? Thank you

You guys have a lot to talk about when it comes to Malaysia ;)

Working as waitress won't give you an employment pass (EP) and the salary would be too low anyway. Better for you to help your boyfriend to start the business instead (won't give you an EP either but better invest your time in that rather than illegal work as waitress).

KL is a good place, a lot of expats stay here much longer than they initially planned...

Hello,

thank you for your comment. So if I find a job as a waitress, I cannot ask for working visa? Or if I will married with my boyfriend, it help me or not?

Thank you

Or does somebody think if I can study there?

I think before you make such a big decision like moving to another country you really have to make sure to know how different life in asia is from europe. It can be a culture shock if you have difficulties to adapt.
Maybe to come for a visit first to see how you like it here and how your boyfriends family is and so on.
Also have a game plan like know what you want to do -studying what , what school, where at.
To start a life in Malaysia especially in KL can be very expensive so be prepared.

greetings sandy

Yes, it was my firts plan, just visit and after go to another country. But it showed that its also very difficult to go together to another country and both get a working visa. And he cannot stay in my country because he has some strange contract, that after finish his contract he cannot work here for 2 years.  Thats why we are thinking about living in Malaysia, he has house, car and family here, in my or another country we have nothing.

I hope that it will have happy end and we will be somewhere together :-)

Just to be honest, I am an American married to a European for 20 years.  I was sent here for 2 years by my company but my wife didn't like it.  She is back in Europe until I leave here next year.

sixthfltyo wrote:

Just to be honest, I am an American married to a European for 20 years.  I was sent here for 2 years by my company but my wife didn't like it.  She is back in Europe until I leave here next year.

What did your wife think was the worst part of staying in Malaysia and how long before she decided she cannot stay even for a limited 2 years time?

What do you think about staying in Malaysia yourself?

i think us European are very much used to an very well organized lifestyle. In some way even spoiled. We are used to punctuality, reliability and in some way we like the strictness of our schedule  that we live by. ( some european maybe more than others- i am german and i believe we are a little extreme in this, lol)
the cities here are also very different more crowded i think and not as clean as in europe. But not so bad that you couldn't get used to it. i guess it really depends on the individual and how well he or she can adapt.

A couple of points. If he is Malay he would be Muslim.  If he is Muslim it would get rather interesting if you tried to live together in Malaysia.  I guess he is probably Chinese.  It might be an idea if you read up on Malaysia to get to understand how society is put together. It is basically a Muslim country so everyone else is a minority ethnic group - have you lived under those conditions before?

He is chinese, his family is Buddhist and he is half Buddhist and half Christian. I lived only in my country and he only in his country and my country. I always wanted to move far away but I was never thinking about Asia.

I like Malaysia and am continuing to meet amazing people.  My lovely bride wanted to continue her professional career which she couldn't do here and didn't like the chaos of KL. James

It will definitely be a different experience from Prague.  Prepare for some culture shock by reading info on Malaysia, its history and its current events.  James

And  do you think that is better to live out of Kuala Lumpur or its same or even worse? Thank you

There are less densely populated areas, just like any other conurbation. For me Malaysia generally has a positive vibe and its people are open, friendly and polite (exclude roads and motorways - LOL) There is constant change as it is a country on the development fast track. It seems to operate on a very community-minded basis. There is great wealth and also some poverty. There is not too much ostentatious display of personal wealth (exclude cars in that) and there are few barriers to communication across the social strata. I like the focus on community service and giving to the needy or helping those less fortunate than one's self. There are quite distinct social norms and dress codes in each race. Many Muslim women cover their heads and dress modestly but it is not universal. It is a colourful society which uses lively colour to express its culture and individuality. It is a country that would like to respect the diversity of its peoples. Peninsula Malaysia is probably more modernised than Sabah and Sarawak in Borneo. The weather is often dramatic and can be disruptive to plans. It does not have distinct seasons like Europe, but it does have seasons that are more dry or wet. It is very hot, especially from April to September (its in the northern hemisphere, just). It has almost equal days and nights. It has a reputation for being a food paradise. I agree on the diversity of foods available and there are many small stalls that sprout up on the roadside. I am not sure it is all particularly healthy. Love the fruit which is fresh and delicious. I find market produce actually fresher and more tasty than in some parts of northern Europe. It is a crossroads and easy to travel within the region and inexpensively. A car is essential as public transport does not yet have good coverage. Traffic is generally very heavy around towns and journeys take much longer considering the distances to be covered. Many trailing spouses, as James mentioned, do have problems in continuing their career. Immigration is getting strict as they are now using biometric data and computers to record movements into and out of the country. Whereas before Europeans were granted a series of maximum 3 month stays here, this has changed when they see people entering frequently. I was only given a 1 month right to stay when I was waiting to move onto a spouse visa.

Hi Shermanka,

Welcome to Malaysia in advance.
It's my first time actually checking these site out though I've registered myself here since the beginning of the year. Anyways, if you need any help. I'll be glad to help though I may not know as much as expats in my own country on visa application. ;)

Regards,
Allison

Dobry Den Shermanka,

I don't think anyone has mentioned that you can only stay 90 days in Malaysia before you must leave.  You can return and you will probably get another 90 day visa (I got only a 1 month visa when I returned on one occasion, but I was going on holiday so it did not matter).  It is at the discretion of the immigration officer and I crossed into Malaysia from Singapore.

As you can probably imagine, it gets rather expensive having to keep travelling and staying for at least one or two nights outside Malaysia.  The best is to sign up for details of offers from Air Asia, Firefly, Silk Airways and other regional travel companies.

It may be a good idea to study in Malaysia because you really need to get a degree to have any hope of getting employment.  The system is that you enrol and pay your fees to the educational establishment and they process your visa.  The types of courses can be found here:

http://www.mohe.gov.my/educationmsia/

I don't see places like the British Council mentioned, but I think they can offer courses to overseas students?

It would be feasible to set up a company with your boyfriend as the other Director. You would have to find RM350k to do so. You could get a visa that way for 2 years, but you have to pay yourself RM5k per month and pay income tax on that amount.  The RM350k can be used as working capital, but must be returned to the balance sheet for the annual report and accounts.