How can I learn Malay language?

I know most Malaysian can speak English to some extent but I want to be able to mingle around with the locals here. I just hate having communication barrier when dealing with customers.

Since most parts of the world is in lockdown, might as well I do something good with my time.

I keep hearing people saying it's one of the easiest language in the world and yet I'm still struggling with the basics. Any idea where to start?    :sosad:

It is one of the easiest languages in the world. It's useful in Malaysia and also in Indonesia to a certain extent but nowhere else.

You could start with getting a book, finding free online lessons on YouTube, enrolling in an online course, or finding local Malays who are interesting to meet either in person or virtually to both practice their own English conversation (I assume your English level is quite good) and help you lean Malay. You could also probably watch local Malay children's tv programs which also might help as well as Malay movies.

You could also place an advertisement in the classifieds section at the top of the page for people interesting in online language exchange but be careful of weirdos.

Hi Rachel, I'm local Malay and use to work for American based company. I don't mind helping u learning the basic. We can do daily online chat till the lockdown ends. Email me at:

P.s
To any Japanese who wants to learn Malay, feel free to email me. I do have few Japanese language books but need someone to help me speed up my learning.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Yup, definitely one of the easier language in the world. No time tenses, no grammatical gender, etc. What you need to do most of the time is knowing the vocabulary and few grammar rules

Do watch out on what you have learned in the book though, most of them only touch on formal form of malaysian language. The informal malay language can be wild sometimes and won't make sense, at least to me lol

Youtube has a lot of good resources too. If you're not keen on free content, you can also enroll in Malaysian language courses in Udemy. They offer a more structured learning in my opinion. Last time I checked there is like a course there offering 11 hours of lesson video and it looks quite promising. But downside is you gotta pay like RM 40 or something to enroll. I think it's called as "learn malaysian language speak malay from zero to hero"

If you want to learn through zoom session, you can check on italker, hinative and just find an instructor there. This website too has a lot of ads on malay language instructors in the ads section. There are plenty of choices, some people just took few months and they can already speak the language.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please post a free ad for your offer in the Classifieds section. Thank you.

Usually people recommend YWCA in KL but I dont know if they are still having classes, especially with covid.

HI

I am also interested in learning Malay, any chance we could do an "online club"?

Cheers
Art

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : The free promotion of services is not allowed on the forum.

You can always learn it online. Just go to instagram and search for kelas online bahasa melayu. There are so many options there.

If you planning on learning other thing such as upskilling or getting certifications from established universities. You can go to ensoftcontent.com

This YouTuber is very good. Called speak like a local
https://youtu.be/cMBKNnusJG4

As I found the books didn't help me very much and my wife would say, nobody speaks like that.

There is  a Phone app on Play Store "Learn Malaysian Words Free" -Language course S.L
Try it out- it helped me.

how your progress. I can guide on how to learn Malay