Cohabitation Visa application transferred to Brussels

Hi!

My fiancee started working in Belgium this week. We applied for visa at the same time. His visa approved a week later and I got an e-mail that told me that my application sent to the Office des Etrangers in Brussels. It also states that I should track my visa progress in their website. It has been six days and there is nothing about my file in the website. I am really confused.

1- How long does it take embassy to send my file to Brussels?
2- Official website says short term visas files sent by electronic scans but I am informed by my fiancees relocation services that mine is going by mail. I'm not sure which one is true.
3- Why does it need to be approved by Brussels? Is there something wrong with my application or this is normal?
4- I wanna know how long does it take to get my visa since it is sent to Office des Etrangers.

Thank you in advance!

1. It takes at least a month for the file number to start showing status updates in DOFI (foreigners office) website.
2. Your visa is long stay I assume (dependent spouse/partner). Such files are often send by post and not electronically.
3. Most of spouse/partner visa applications are nowadays sent to Belgium for decision making. The file being sent to Belgium does not necessarily indicate that there is something wrong in the application. It just indicates the consulate needs extra verification or approval from Foreigners office here in Belgium.
4. Well, overall (in general) the processing time is upto 6 months now. Some files get approved faster. It all depends on the verification and investigation that the foreigners office need to do on your file. Sometimes they need to verify the authenticity of the documents you provided, and this need to be done by other parties and it takes time.

There are numerous threads in the forum https://www.expat.com/forum/257-3-visas-brussels.html discussing experiences about spouse/partner visa applications. Look for threads with dependent, spouse, family reunion etc as subject lines.

Hello aneeshks! Thank you for your answer.

My visa is for short stay actually. I applied for Cohabitation Visa. Which is just for 90 days max. As I understand, it is for me to go to Belgium and start cohabitation process with my fiance. Than it takes at least 6 months. So I'm aware the whole process takes time.

In the DOFI official website, it says "If you have applied for a visa for a short stay (C visa), your application will in principle be visible a few days after the electronic mailing of your file by mail to the Aliens Office. " Of course this is Google Translate, not the actually website. This is why I'm suprised I can't see my file in the system.

Okay, in that case, wait and hope for the best !!! Good luck 👍

Hi there,

I applied for cohabitation visa in the Philippines, and I am now currently in Belgium.

1- Brussels received my application 1 month after my appointment at the Philippine embassy. It also took 1 month for my file status to be visible on the Dofi website.
2- Short term visa files are sent by electronic scans, but cohabitation visa files are sent by mail.
3- Only the immigration office in Brussels has the power to approve/deny cohabitation visas, not the embassy
4- My visa was approved 2 months after my application.

Regards,
Kimy

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : please register your blog in the blogs directory

Hi there am also with a belgian boyfriend and am planning to apply for cohabitation visa next month,what documents are required?and how long does the process take before the visa gets approved.

Hello,

Here you can see have an idea how long the whole process will be ***

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please + no external link
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Joyalex,

Here is a list of articles for the cohabitation visa which may interest you and documents needed before you arrive in Belgium. The whole process will take about 9 to 12 months to receive an F Card from the date of your arrival if your application is approved.

liveinbelgium.be/questions-answers-cohabitation-visa/

Thank you so much for the reply i really appreciate.Will let you know if the process goes through.God bless you for helping others.