EU citizen, how to bring non-EU wife to Netherlands

Hi,

I am Italian, currently living in the UK with my wife, who is from Canada. She is with me in the UK based on a family visa as a spouse of a European person.

We are considering moving to the Netherlands soon and would like some advice on how to move together there.

For me, is it just a matter of finding a flat and then move my residence there? or do I need to find a job too before being allowed to have my residence in the Netherlands?

Regarding my wife, can she convert her UK family visa into an equivalent for the Netherlands directly from the UK? If not possible, can she come with me after I have found a flat, but before I have found a job? Or do I need to have a job to sponsor her? She would be applying for a family visa under EU law.

During all this process, would she need a private travel\health insurance or would she be covered by the UK, Italy or Netherlands?

Please can anyone share some information about this process?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

As an EU citizen, you currently have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU; the only process you would have to go through is to register with the Gemeente (Council) within 5 days of arrival in Holland.

With regards to your wife, she would need some kind of visa to live/work in Holland; you haven't told us very much, so I can't be more descriptive except to point you towards the Dutch Government (IND) website that contains all the information; this link will take you there.

If you have any further specific questions that are not covered in the IND website, then please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team