When does employer apply for Residence Permit?

Hi all,

I have a contract to start a role in Netherlands in 2 months time. It is a move within the same international company, currently I am in Australia. I am a NZ Citizen.

I have not had an update from the person in the Netherland branch for over 2 weeks. She is apparently getting an offer from a third party company who wil take care of the relocation.

I'm just wondering should the employer typically apply for the Residence Permit before my arrival? or do they start the application after my arrival? As a NZ Citizen I don't need a MVV, and the IND website says the Residence Permit application can start after arrival in the Netherlands.

I suppose I don't need to be worried at this stage as I've been in frequent communication with my new boss and he is keen to get me there asap.

Many thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It's normal for companies to use 3rd parties to sort out the relocation, especially if they aren't themselves registered with the IND do it themselves.

It's not necessary to get the permit prior to arrival, you have up to 3-months to do it.  It just makes life a lot easier as you can register with the Gemeente and get your BSN sooner rather than later and get registered with the taxman and doctor etc.

Give your new boss a call to remind them your still waiting. :)

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for the response.

If the applications for the residence permit for a highly skilled migrant starts after my arrival in the Netherlands, then can I still officially start work immediately upon arrival? If so, would I be paid etc.... before I apply and receive my permit?

I would still prefer to have all this sorted prior to my arrival. I don't know if companies use this as a tactic which essentially serves as a "trial period"? i.e. If they are happy with you they won't apply for the residence permit for you?

Residence permit is your right. You apply for it, to IND.

Once you start the job and move to NL, you report to your local townhall and apply for a BSN (national number - similar to social security number). And then apply for the residence permit.

mkqq wrote:

Thanks for the response.

If the applications for the residence permit for a highly skilled migrant starts after my arrival in the Netherlands, then can I still officially start work immediately upon arrival? If so, would I be paid etc.... before I apply and receive my permit?

I would still prefer to have all this sorted prior to my arrival. I don't know if companies use this as a tactic which essentially serves as a "trial period"? i.e. If they are happy with you they won't apply for the residence permit for you?

Highly skilled migrant visas are both work and residence in one; if your employer applies, then they are normally issued within a fortnight; the only thing left for you to do is to go to the Gemeente where you live and register; as I said, call your new boss and see what stage they are at.

You can work on arrival (as I said, the visa is both a work and residence permit) The reason why it's an advantage to register before you start work is I assume you'll also qualify for the 30% tax ruling, if you haven't registered, then you won't have a BSN number, so won't be registered with the tax-man, so it will delay any tax benefits you are entitled to.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ok so I heard from the third party company on Thursday of the services included.

One concern is the birth certificate. I was born in China, but grew up in New Zealand hence I'm a NZ citizen, and now working in Australia.

I do not have a birth certificate as far as I know. I was told by this company the IND can be flexible as a lot of the times birth certificates from China is not available.

I am concerned that this may be a problem? Anybody else had similar experiences?