Moving to Amman-help

I am planning on moving to Amman at the end of June.
I would appreciate your feedback on the following:

1.Good decent neighborhood to live in
2.Cost of living for a single person. My monthly budget is about 1,000 JOD
3.Dental facilities and costs- I wear braces, so need to visit the orthodontist once a month for regular check-ups and tightening of braces
4.Social activities-what is there to do especially outdoor  activities.
5.Public transport. How good is it or would you recommend buying a car
6.Cost of Arabic classes and good language schools  I should consider

Thank you

Welcome on Expat.com Ahmed :)

I will suggest you to view this website to get an overview of the approximate cost of living in Amman. It listed the price of the basic "items/services" that am sure will be helpful to you to calculate your monthly/weekly expenses.

Hope this helps a little bit meanwhile.

Regards

Thanks Yud

Said Ahmed wrote:

I am planning on moving to Amman at the end of June.
I would appreciate your feedback on the following:

1.Good decent neighborhood to live in
2.Cost of living for a single person. My monthly budget is about 1,000 JOD
3.Dental facilities and costs- I wear braces, so need to visit the orthodontist once a month for regular check-ups and tightening of braces
4.Social activities-what is there to do especially outdoor  activities.
5.Public transport. How good is it or would you recommend buying a car
6.Cost of Arabic classes and good language schools  I should consider

Thank you

Hi Said,

Hope you like it over there, you will find the crowd to be relaxed and generaly safe to move around.

1. depends on your job location, but west Amman in General is  good, no issue in vacancies but i would suggest that if the company is providing your accommodation during the first month, get someone from work to help you with the house hunt, the weekly ad newspaper is called "Al Waseet" it will help you to get an idea of the prices. but its in Arabic NO English version.

2. this depends on your life style, normally food/groceries including washing powder and personal hygiene products should be roughly  around 400 JD a month, a single bedroom apartment should be around 250 JD, health insurance should be covered by your company, and another 50 JD for a decent health club. which will leave you with a good margin for transportation and other stuff. again it depends on your life style for instance if your a party animal or maybe have a soft spot for Italian hand made suites 1000 JD will not get you too far im afraid.

3. regarding the costs as you know this depending on your specific case and prices varies greatly from one doctor to another, but i too wore braces for a period and can point out a couple of brilliant doctors to visit if you would like to.

4. a lot; don't worry about that the streets are always busy and there are too many face book groups that organize social activities you will find your way around.

5. the worst trait in Jordan, always crowded and dose not have a schedule. no metro or train only buses and taxi. buses are cheap but has no schedule or assigned stops and you will need to calculate the delay, the taxi is relatively more expensive last i remember it was one piasters per 65 M which means around .2 JD for a KM and the meter starts at .25 JD, cant remember the costs exactly but somewhere in the neighborhood. baying your own car is better but cars in Jordan are expensive they have an import tax around 100%.

6. don't really know, never needed them but i heard a professional class will costs around 20 JD per session.

If there's anything else that tickles you and need to ask about don't hesitate, but make it fast I'm such a menace to this site that they insist on blocking me. :)

Cheers,
Mohannad

Thanks Mohannad.

Your advice/tips were extremely useful. Just bought a Lonely Planet Guide to Jordan. With your tips and the guide I think I will be alright.

Thanks once again!

Said

1.west amman is the best/safest area to live in
2.accomodation is not cheap (around 300-500 JD is minimum),basic food around 200 JD per month, your transport and utility costs on top of this
3.dental surgery not too expensive,but would advise to get medical private insurance,around 30 JD per month
4.not a lot to do in Jordan activities wise, and they do cost money again
5.public transport not existend,taxi best option (around 1-2 JD each way around west amman)
6.Arabic classes you can get for around 100-200 JD per month

good luck