Staying in Nepal for extended period of time for meditation

Namaste,

I and my husband have been in Nepal for several days. We're looking for a monastery, meditation center or retreat place that we can stay longer (a few months at least) for meditation and self observation, free from distraction and ideally under supervision and guidance of a master. We are experienced in meditation so i guess we need a advanced master.

P.s. Up to now I just have found very expensive short courses (like a 1000$ for a week). I have also visited kopan, shechen, Osho tapoban but none of them is what I exactly need. Most of monks are either unwilling or unable to help and just mind their own business. And kopan courses are short. Osho tapoban is fairly good but yet expensive for staying longer. So can you recommend a person that could help us or a place based on what I'm searching for? I also have no problem working where I want to stay for lowering the cost of accommodations, but I want the real deal not just a fancy commercialized course for tourists.

Peace and love,

I think that the two names you've mentioned are the most obvious ones in Nepal. I would never go as far as to say that other candidates do not exist, but based on my knowledge of Nepal, I do think it's unlikely that you will find other monasteries or other suitable places in Nepal which offers the kind of long term stay you are looking for. Could be wrong, but my hunch is that you are more likely to find what you want in neighboring India, where the choice may be more diverse and they seem to be more geared up for that kind of long term meditation stays with accomodations, more diverse programs, rooms, etc.
Wish you all the best in your further search.

we have proper place in lalitpur. quite & lovely place arround 12 km from ring road. cost may be cheaper than other campaigns. further detail plz contact in msg.

Saugat, I would also like to know of such a place in the heart of Kathmandu. I've been told a person would need to go outside the valley to some of the monasteries like Nama Buddha. Thanks for the info.

I know what you mean. I also looked, in vain. Not easy to find because there are 10 day meditation sessions on offer, 2-3 week stays, often unconnected to monasteries - without the presence of monks  - and all all pretty much of short term duration, here in Nepal - therefore not corresponding at all with what you appear to be looking for, as you describe your search. Maybe we shouldn't be so surprised because quite apart from the fact that Lord Buddha was born in Lumbini, we often tend to forget the fact that Nepal is predominantly an 80% Hindu country with a 10% Buddhist minority - that's an 8 to 1 ratio in terms of population.

Hi,

Have you heard about Sri Aurobindo? Please try searching for Auroville in Pondicherry, India. Don't know about Nepal but in Auroville, you can even choose to spend your whole life (this is what I have heard). There is a membership fee and you can access their ashram and meditation centre and get advanced training. Please search their website and enquire as per your needs.
I have been there but am not a memeber.
You can also search for Isha Dhyan lingam centre in Coimbatore. But I have never been there. Sadhguru is a live guru and is a very realistic man too. Search for him on YouTube.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

All of the places I know of in Nepal cater to short term meditation. To the best of my knowledge, there is not a single facility, monastery or other institution in this country offering "several months' long meditation" here. Short term yes, "extended period" no, would be my answer.