Job offer for Copenhagen for 65000DKK/month - how good is that?

Dear fellow expats,

I have received a job offer to work in Copenhagen, for a salary of DKK 65000/month. I live in Sao Paulo with my wife (no kids) and we are wondering if that is a good gross amount, considering the income taxes currently in place.
In fact, it was not easy to find a income tax calculator for Copenhagen online, would someone know where to find a good one? Knowing the net income would allow us to understand how much would be available for renting a place and for day-to-day costs.

Thank you all and best regards,
Magnaterra

Please look at previous posts, this has been asked many times before and everything including tax has been explained.

Hi SimCityAT, thanks for your reply.
I will try to find these posts.

Best regards,
Magnaterra

Taxation seems to be the highest ranked topic on the top ten list, and by reading the former posts as SimCityAt suggested to you, I am sure that you already have found out that the pay offered is more than satisfying.

However, in your case I should like to draw your attention to the special taxation for researchers and highly paid people which you'll almost be entitled to:
https://skat.dk/skat.aspx?oid=2234885

The taxation per cent is 27 with additional 8 % as Arbejdsmarkedsbidrag (labour market contributions) as you already know (totally about 32 %).
However, do notice that it is a taxation of the gross pay minus ATP (Arbejdsmarkedets tillægspension/labour market suppl. pension (800000 kroner - 3,408 kroner)
https://www.borger.dk/pension-og-efterl … F8365.ashx
If we look apart from the ATP in this calculation: you'll have to pay 262,720 kroner a year.

http://www.srf.dk/ordboguk.htm

So much for this special taxation scheme.

I we use the normal taxation system (for all others) the math can look like this: Yearly income 800,000 kroner, wife doesn't work, not member of the state church, living in Gladsaxa municipality: tax 321.492,30 kroner.
If your wife will have an income of her own (above 46,000 kroner), the tax will be 336.800,85 kroner.
The difference is because we all have a personal deduction before taxation of 46,000 kroner (2018), and if we cannot profit of this deduction because we have no income, the amount is transferred to the spouse.

You couldn't find a tax calculator on the net, but it is there:
http://www.tastselv.skat.dk/fskbrgn2/SkResultat.aspx

You see, a little more negotiation about the pay is recommended (even if the pay in itself is so good)

In Denmark, the holiday act may be a little different than the act you know from your home country. A new act is on its way (EU-decree) by 2020. At that time, you'll earn your holiday simultaneously.
https://www.thelocal.dk/20150407/workin … d-holidays
Do ask the HR if you'll be entitled to a full holiday without any deduction in 2019 as a possible deduction will be of importance if you choose the special taxation (can reduce your income so you won't be entitled to the special taxation in the last end).

Housing is normally a difficult issue, but as your income is so fine you'll have no difficulties in paying for a new apartment which there are quite a lot of. However, do ask the HR to help you with this issue. It can be tiresome and time consuming to look for an apartment, and you'll have other things to concentrate upon in the first time.

/Nellie

Dear Nellie,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question and provide such valuable tips, I really appreciate it.

If I understood you correctly, to be eligible to the special taxation, I would have to have a gross monthly salary of at least about 70800 kroner (65100 kroner after ATP deduction - 8%), which would mean an increase of around 9% to the agreed wage.
I will definitively try to reach that figure - also taking into account the holiday deduction that you've mentioned.

Best regards,
Magnaterra

The gross monthly pay limit is 65,100 kroner after the ATP deduction 284 kroner. The brut pay shall thus amount to at least 65,384 kroner (+).

You'll also be entitled to holiday allowance, normally 1 % of the pay. It is paid once a year so I take that this will be beyond your pay of 65,100 kroner.

However, if you are offered a pension scheme, it'll not be possible to deduct the monthly contributions /the employer's as well as your own) before taxation as it will if the normal taxation scheme is applied.  A vote for the normal taxation.

And this leads to another open question: Expats have the opportunity to choose whether they want to have the pension contributions taxated as a part of the pay which will allow them to take the saved amount with them when they leave Denmark. We others don't have this choice. The contributions will be deducted before the taxation of our monthly pay, and instead be taxated when we retire from the labour maket.

As you see, there are some major and important outstandings to find out before the final decision is taken.

Do ask the HR for help regarding this.

If you give me some more information, I can elaborate my answer to you.

/Nellie