Is a salary of DKK 800,000 good for Copenhagen

Hi,

Apologies as this is an often asked question but I am evaluating a job offer for Copenhagen where the annual salary before tax is DKK 800,000.

I've tried to work out what this will give me on a net monthly basis but am struggling with the Danish tax calculations on the skat.dk website.

Can anyone advise if this is a reasonable salary for a single person to live on in Copenhagen?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Steve

That depends on which part of Copenhagen you want to live and if it's rented or owned.
If you don't insist on living in central Copenhagen, but in eg. Ørestad. You should be able to rent a nice apartment and upheld good living standard with that salary.
If you want to buy something in central city, it might be more difficult.
In recent years there has been a lot in the media about that Copenhagen have become way too expensive for couples with 2 income to afford buying something there, and 800.000 is just above what 2 person earns in average.

Thanks for your quick reply. remember Orestad from previous trips but can't recall what the public transport is like there.

Hi Harv-UK,

The pay is so high that it qualifies for the special taxation (highly paid expats/researchers).
Income 800,000 kroner, tax 32,84% 262,720 kroner.

If you are taxated due to the normal taxation, the tax will be 331,058 kroner.

As always, it's only a rough calculation as other factors will influent, such as your pension scheme, other fringes, commuting etc.

There are many other places to settle than Ørestaden. It also depends on where the company is located, how much time you'll be willing to use on commuting, the size of the flat, .............

Under all circumstances, you shall ask the company for relocation help, inclusive finding a housing.

You shall expect to use 12,000 kroner for the rent (+/-), but inclusive utilities and household, I estimate that 20,000 kroner a month will be a realistic bid, but of course it depends on whether you settle at the Copenhagen harbourfront or in one of the suburbs.

/Nellie